Roger Federer puts Murray to the sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roger Federer puts Murray to the sword

Roger Federer inflicted a straight-sets defeat on Andy Murray in the final of the Australian Open this morning to deny the Scot a maiden grand-slam title.
    The 28-year-old Swiss won his sixteenth grand-slam title and fourth at Melbourne Park 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (13-11) in two hours and 41 minutes under the lights of Rod Laver Arena.
    Federer paid tribute to Murray's display throughout the tournament and insisted the Scot's time will come.
    "Well done for your incredible tournament," the Swiss said. "You played fantastic and you're too good of a player not to win a grand slam, so don't worry about it."
    function slideshowPopUp(url){pictureGalleryPopupPic(url);re turn false;}Related Links

Multimedia

Federer was thrilled to triumph once more. He added: "Winning this again, I played some of the best tennis of my life these past two weeks. This is a very special moment, a first grand slam as a father."
    Murray was made to pay for an anxious start as he allowed the world No 1 to coast through the opening two sets before finally providing stubborn resistance in the third.
    But after grabbing the first break in the third set, Murray immediately relinquished his advantage and after an enthralling tie-break, in which the Scot had five set points, his challenge was ended.
    The 22-year-old Murray had entered the match in arguably the best form of his career after dropping just one set and eliminating defending champion Rafael Nadal.
    He had been able to mix aggression with endeavour to coast through those matches, but he lacked the unrivalled class of the world No 1 this morning and will have to fight on to end Britain’s 74-year wait for a male grand-slam champion.
    "Sorry I couldn't do it for you," the tearful 22-year-old told his fans. "I can cry like Roger, it's just a shame I can't play like him.
    "I'd like to congratulate Roger. His achievements in tennis are incredible and to keep doing it year after year is pretty special. He was a lot better than me tonight.
    "I'd like to thank all you guys, the support I got the whole tournament was great, loved every minute of it and hopefully one year I can come back and win here."

Yuh kno I was shocked at Murray's capitulation.
    There used to be a saying about 'knees turning to jelly'.

...and disappointed in Murray's standard on the day!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

murray was ready for rafa nadal, but not federer!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

rafa retired hurt nuh true?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yes, but it would not have mattered. he was getting wupped!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

well it it was henman mi woulda agree...but neva write off nadal...2009 aussie finals....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              well it it was henman mi woulda agree...but neva write off nadal...2009 aussie finals....
              If you saw the match you would not say that! Murray was wiping the court with him!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

i saw the match and i am saying that...i have seen nadal recover from horrendous starts to win 5 setters....i have seen serena do it too...those are 2 of 3 players who i would never count out until dem lose the final point.

Comment

true! but we will never know what would have happened in this case. up until he retired hurt - murray was wiping the court with him! that's all we have to go by!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

and that is what it was...rafa retired hurt.

Comment

...after being wiped across the court.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

for 2 sets out of a possible 5.

Comment

2 and 1/2!

Nadal retires hurt when trailing Murray 6-3, 7-6 (7-2), 3-0

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

1/2 counts for NOTHING he could have still won it!

Comment

or he could have picked up 6-0!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X