Seymore Newman was just on Klas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymore Newman was just on Klas

That guy was a 'bad' man on the track. They asked him about the day he 'got' Alberto Juantorena in Mexico City.

He was also a more than useful fast bowler. There were some who claimed he would have been better than Holding.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Tyad hear the 'better than Holding' story....he NEVER went to the top flight...it's mere speculation....

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
      Tyad hear the 'better than Holding' story....he NEVER went to the top flight...it's mere speculation....
      Maurice Foster never said that but Maurice did say playing for the WI was a shoo-in! ...as the big bats claimed Seymour was fast as lightning and was one for the future!

Hey...you are correct - We will never know!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What did Mr newman have to say about the paucity of world class 800 runners from Jamaica since his time.

Comment

I do not remember him or the moderators touching on that...

...but it is strange that we have failed in that area!
          mmm???
          Rich legacy - Arthur Wint, George Kerr and Seymour Newman. ...and they all were World Class 400-800 men.

Comment

That's right, is funny you say that in the back of my mind I was saying he was the best JA produced ever, but of course I remembered the great Calabar old boy Arthur Wint and his performance in 48 and 52 I believe and then Kerr did in fact win bronze twice in late 50's early 60's I think I read somewhere. I looked up Seymour's fastest time and it was pretty fast, but I was equally amazed at his 400 PB of 45.66 in them days that was some good running, it seems we have a bunch of guys now who can run mid 45's maybe a couple should look at the 800.

Comment

Wint stands alone as our greatest 400/800M.

...back in the days I had a book that kept all the records - Wint won a AAU 440yards and 880 medals.

Aside: There was a T'dad man who was a terror at 100 yards at those AAU meets. - MacDonald Bailey ...but I cannot remember seeing his name mentioned as winning a single 100 yards Olympic Gold. I cannot even remember him medalling(?)

Comment

MacDonald Bailey won a bronze in the 100m in 1952 behind Herb Mac and the American Lindy Remigino .

Apparently he was considered the pre-race favourite for the gold.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                  MacDonald Bailey won a bronze in the 100m in 1952 behind Herb Mac and the American Lindy Remigino .

Apparently he was considered the pre-race favourite for the gold.
                  Thanks, that slipped me!

Comment

Working...
                  X