Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X, Mills have finally seen the light and has ended his

conflict of interest......is a good ting yo neva "shut the fk up!"
    .................................................. ......................................
    Veteran Mills to focus on Racers Track Club

BY KAYON RAYNOR Senior staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com

Friday, November 06, 2009

Glen Mills, coach of triple Olympic and World Championship gold medallist Usain Bolt and president of the Racers Track Club, has retired from his post as national senior head coach, ending a 22-year reign.
    MILLS... it's good to quit while you're ahead

"I feel that after being head coach for every World Championship, except the inaugural one and the one in 2003, and every Olympic Games since 1988, that's a good run, and the crowning glory in Beijing... it's good to quit while you're ahead," Mills told the Observer in an exclusive interview on Monday.

Last year Mills received Jamaica's fifth highest national award, the Order of Distinction (OD) in the rank of Commander Class for his service to track and field.

"I leave the scene in terms of the continued challenges of the (Jamaica Amateur Athletic) Association, athletes and coaches, but despite that, I leave with the performances being the highest it has ever been in the history of Jamaica's track and field, so one wonders if it isn't a paradox that these controversies results in tremendous successes," Mills joked.

He, however, noted that, "Certainly, it's not the kind of atmosphere you'd like, but I'm glad that I was able to serve Jamaica in the way that I've done and to help in developing the sport that I love so dearly, and it's time for me to say good-bye to national representation," he added.

The unassuming veteran sprint coach who has been practising his craft for the past 44 years, replaced the late great Herb McKenley as Jamaica's head coach in 1987.

"I learnt a lot from the great Herb McKenley whom I succeeded and was his deputy for many of years, from as far back as in the 1970s. I saw a lot of struggles to build the Jamaica team to the level that it has reached today, so it's time for somebody else to take it now to the other level," Mills reasoned.

Under Mills' stewardship between 1987 and 2009, Jamaica captured 71 medals at the World Championships -13 gold, 31 silver and 27 bronze. In that same time period, the country amassed 33 medals at the Olympics - nine gold, 16 silver and eight bronze.

Mills said he had decided to quit as head coach from as far back as the year 2000 after the Sydney Olympic Games.

"I took the decision then, that it was time to... allow younger people to take up the mantle, but the then administration ask me to continue for a couple more years so that somebody could be groomed to take over and with the exception of 2003, I've been at the helm of all the senior games... I've gone almost nine years pass the time that I had set," added Mills, who obtained a Diploma in Sprint Coaching from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Centre in Mexico in the 1970s.

He made it clear his involvement with the Racers Track Club did not affect his decision.

"Based on the fact that I'm not getting younger and the stress and demands of that job requires a younger person to take up the mantle... it's a good time to lead Jamaica while it's at the top because we were never always there," said the 2008 NACAC Coach-of-the-Year.

"It's a tough job and very challenging, as you can see from games to games, there's always so much controversy, even in the height of successes and in the middle of that usually in the job of head coach, because you're dealing with athletes based in the (United) States, Jamaica and Europe and the coming together and the whole period leading to selections and so on. A lot of time it's been very controversial and it's a very rocky road," Mills stated.

"Sometime the chemistry never always blended because (of) their demands and expectations etc. Sometimes there was controversy with the ruling body (JAAA) itself, and that usually spills over into the management team," he said, adding that the tough decision had to be made by his panel of coaches until recent years, when a technical leader was introduced.

"Some of them (decisions) we did very well, some of them we didn't get the success that we wanted, but... looking back at it, I really don't have any regrets. I think I served my country to the best of my ability and I must have been doing some things right for me to have occupied the position for so long," Mills said.

He singled out the disrespect meted to national coaches by athletes, their managers and spectators as low points during his reign as national head coach.

On the positive side, he singled out Jamaica's improvement in mile relay running, among his high points.
    Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
    Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

X your persistence paid off.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Its a good 1st step ,Mills re singed because of..........who cares .I wish him the best and acknowledge his past years of great contribution to our nations T&F development.He definitely deserves a national honor.

Now to the JAAA are they going to put another coach with the same mandate of that corrupt constitution in place to create havoc?

Thats the problem the JAAA dumb or amateur constitution , they need an intermediary as head coach with no real powers but to communicate and facilitate that all athletes are physically and mentally healthy to compete .

This madness of the head coach having the final say needs to be curbed with the language granted athlete is physically and mentally ready by personal coach and MDs clearance.

Wouldn't that put cocah Francis or whomever with so called egos on the hot seat instead of the athletes ?

They are the ones that need to explain why if X or Jangle cannot run to John public . Not the athletes!
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

all in all it is a good time for him to walk away...best showing by jamaica ever, double world record holder in his stable....good move on his part.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          all in all it is a good time for him to walk away...best showing by jamaica ever, double world record holder in his stable....good move on his part.

All comes back to knowing when to leave! Some people nuh know .
          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Good run, Glen!
            FULL 100 respek!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
              Its a good 1st step ,Mills re singed because of..........who cares .I wish him the best and acknowledge his past years of great contribution to our nations T&F development.He definitely deserves a national honor.

Now to the JAAA are they going to put another coach with the same mandate of that corrupt constitution in place to create havoc?

Thats the problem the JAAA dumb or amateur constitution , they need an intermediary as head coach with no real powers but to communicate and facilitate that all athletes are physically and mentally healthy to compete .

This madness of the head coach having the final say needs to be curbed with the language granted athlete is physically and mentally ready by personal coach and MDs clearance.

Wouldn't that put cocah Francis or whomever with so called egos on the hot seat instead of the athletes ?

They are the ones that need to explain why if X or Jangle cannot run to John public . Not the athletes!
              ...and if it is not the head coach who has the final word...then it shall be another individual or a 'committee'

...surely it cannot be the coach of the individual athlete if that person is not the head coach? Right, Yuttie?
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Amateur thinking ! You want a head coach who has no knowledge of an athlete medical( physical and psychological) needs for the past X years to come to a conclusion or determination if an athlete can compete in an individual event under his guidance for 3 weeks ?

The obvious persons must be his personal trainer and personal medical staff.

Throw in a head coach with a competing athlete and no knowledge of the pharmacological issues as it pertains to WADA ?

Have it your way Karl ? Good thing Mills knows where his bread is buttered , JAAA cannot pay him fi di madness nuh more .

He has alot on his plate to catch up to the professional setting he himself stated that .Thank the Lord he has a club that can finance it.

I have reason to believe that it wont be long before we see Racers/Mills clash with the JAAA on those same amateur constitutional grounds.

Imagine a Head coach telling Bolt fi run when im mentally or physilogically cannot against Mills wishes.
                Last edited by Sir X; November 6, 2009, 06:00 PM.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                X