• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just glad shi not planning to train with Drummond

VC parts company with longtime coach

BY KAYON RAYNOR Senior Observer staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com

Friday, October 16, 2009

THREE-TIME Jamaican Sportswoman of the Year, Veronica Campbell-Brown, has parted company with her long-time coach Lance Brauman, who guided her to two Olympic gold medals in the 200 metres.
    Campbell-Brown... I feel it's time for a change

"It has been a great run with coach Brauman over the last six years, but I feel it's time for a change," Campbell-Brown told the Observer in an exclusive interview from Atlanta, USA on Wednesday.

The Jamaican sprinter, who remains the only athlete to win 100-metre titles at the world youth, junior and senior levels, disclosed that she and husband Omar would now be working with Atlanta based-coach Anthony Carpenter.

"Coach Brauman has done a good job getting me two individual Olympic Gold medals, but the time has come to move on. I felt the need for a change," added the 27-year-old sprinter.

In addition to coaching Campbell-Brown in her professional endeavours since 2004, Brauman also conditioned the talented Jamaican sprinter during her years at Barton Community College.

Campbell-Brown, who was on Tuesday officially named UNESCO's Champion for Sport Ambassador with a special mission of promoting gender equality, is hoping for a productive 2010 after struggling with a toe injury earlier this year.

"I'm looking forward to continued success at the international level as I work with Coach Carpenter," she reasoned.

The Vere Technical alumnus clocked 22.35 seconds for silver in the 200m and 10.95secs for fourth place at the 12th IAAF Berlin World Championships in August.

In the meantime, even though Campbell-Brown continues to rehabilitate the toe that affected her performances last season, she has not ruled out participating at the 13th IAAF World Indoor Championships in Doha, Qatar, between March 12 and 14.

"The World Indoor Championships remain a possibility, but I'm still undecided as to whether I will compete at the Commonwealth Games because of how late
    it will be staged in the year," she said.

The 19th edition of the Commonwealth Games will take place in New Delhi, India, from October 3-14 next year.
    Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
    Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

she's basically saying that he has taken her as far as he can and she needs to get to another level if she wants to win more gold medals.

fair enough

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
    X