X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos for Pablo McNeil

Kudos for Pablo McNeil
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Dear Editor, My heartiest congratulations to Mr Glen Mills for the tremendous work he has done with Mr Bolt. He is truly a champion. It is a rare situation to see an individual bestowed with the nation's award while alive. Mr Bolt's performance is really exceptional and I still believe he can do much faster times if he maintains his speed to the finish line....more
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

This letter is full of errors which I suspect is more out of exuberance than anything else.

For one thing Pablo is NOT from Trelawny, he is from Kingston originally and he has not sent many athletes to Junior titles or even to Junior national teams as the writer is making out.

And most importantly I have heard very smart people even international judges repeat the claim the Pablo DISCOVERED Bolt and was in charge of his entire career in high school- Also a myth.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
      And most importantly I have heard very smart people even international judges repeat the claim the Pablo DISCOVERED Bolt and was in charge of his entire career in high school- Also a myth.
      Yuh neva read bout Ananacy story
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
        This letter is full of errors which I suspect is more out of exuberance than anything else.

For one thing Pablo is NOT from Trelawny, he is from Kingston originally and he has not sent many athletes to Junior titles or even to Junior national teams as the writer is making out.

You cannot get away with this without presenting your supporting facts.

1. Pablo is from Kingston?
        Where? Some history of his Kingston sojourn?

2. So how many athletes passed through his hands when on to the "junior titles"? ...if no "junior titles" what did the acheive?

3. Did Pablo ever mentor or coach Bolt? If he did, the period when Bolt was under his care?

NB: This is not only about 'putting you on the spot'...it is also about wanting to know the facts.

Aside:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_McNeil

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/biograp...599/index.html

http://www.talawah.com/
        Last edited by Karl; October 10, 2009, 08:50 AM.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

In Pablo's own words he was a late find to track and used to play cricket and one day when some rich and influential merchant (cant recall he name) saw him move on the cricket field in Kingston some where near Cross Roads he suggested he take up track and he was so good he got a scholarship to Pepperdine..he never ran at Champs.

Pablo was the SDC officer in Trelawny where he had settled and did a short stint at William Knibb before he retired... when William Knibb hired a coach Dwight Barnett they did not think he was experienced enough and because they knew Pablo was an Olympian etc, they asked him to clome back on a part time basis and it was during that time that he worked with Bolt.

Pablo would have worked with the likes of Marvin Anderson who was more of a DCup player at William Knibb before he went to St Jago when he became the track star we now know despite Bert Cameron's attempt to run him into the ground.

Pablo would have worked with other less famous athletes like Sunil Anderson and there was one other whose name also slipped me, then there was Dane Hyatt who was an alternate on the WC team this year.

But the only athlete who made a national junior team while under Pablo's care was Bolt.

BTW Pablo also tells people he coached Michael Green the first track star from William Knibb but that cannot be true as Pablo was not even in the parish when Green was running at Knibb.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Thanks!

Could Pablo have provided coaching to Michael Green after he left Knibb?

Comment

No because Green went overseas to college...
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X