• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt not ready for an OJ

Bolt not ready for an OJ
    On the sporting edge
    Paul Reid
    Thursday, October 08, 2009
    IF there was one compelling argument as to why the Government's decision to bestow high honours on young track star Usain Bolt not well thought out, it would have to be his recent contribution to the Gully/Gaza saga.

Media reports are that at a function put on by a cellular phone company to honour Bolt and women's 100m Olympic and World Champion Shelly-Ann Fraser, he took the microphone after what was thought to be a series of songs from one side of the Gully vs Gaza dancehall-divide and said: "A Gaza time now, and all who don't like that can jump inna the Gully."

While Usain has come a long way from the shy 15-year-old that won the nation's hearts in 2002 at the IAAF World Junior Championships in Kingston, this shows he still has much further to go before he can he considered worthy of ambassadorial and OJ status.

Even before he made those unfortunate comments, it should have been obvious that heaping all these accolades on the young man, as well as naming a major highway in his honour, were premature.

No one can deny Usain or any one else the right to choose sides in any debate, be it dance hall favourites, abortion, separation of church and state or anything else for that matter. But to who much is given, much is expected and we also need to learn how we go about defending our choices.

With the status Bolt has earned over the past 16 months, or so we hope, he could use this leverage to try and broker some common ground between the dance hall factions, instead of add fuel to the already heated debate.

As for the awards that are to be bestowed on him later this year, no one can even start to deny that as a nation we owe him and that the other athletes must get the recognition they deserve.
    This recognition must and should be done while all can still appreciate them.
    It is my opinion, however, that the government acted with haste and speed that can only be matched by Usain Bolt himself, and more time and thought should have been put into how the athletes are honoured.

If, as we hope, there is so much more for Bolt and the others to achieve in track and field, then the OJ was a quantum leap when maybe a shorter stride would have been more prudent.

What will happen if say Bolt is to add the 400m to his repertoire of events and he goes on to hold the World Records in all three individual events, while winning gold medals in all three in say the London Olympics in 2012, will he be accorded the Order of Merit or National Hero status then? What other roadway will there be to add his name to?

Maybe the Government should have waited and started smaller; maybe they could have ensured that the road between Martha Brae and Sherwood Content be widened and paved and then name it in Bolt's honour. Making sure the residents have constant water supply would not hurt either.

Naming one of the stands at the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium in his honour would also be a fitting tribute as he continues to grow into the man and ambassador we know he will be one day.
    Last edited by Karl; October 8, 2009, 10:54 AM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Well said!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
      Bolt not ready for an OJ
      On the sporting edge
      Paul Reid
      IF there was one compelling argument as to why the Government's decision to bestow high honours on young track star Usain Bolt not well thought out, it would have to be his recent contribution to the Gully/Gaza saga.

Media reports are that at a function put on by a cellular phone company to honour Bolt and women's 100m Olympic and World Champion Shelly-Ann Fraser, he took the microphone after what was thought to be a series of songs from one side of the Gully vs Gaza dancehall-divide and said: "A Gaza time now, and all who don't like that can jump inna the Gully."

While Usain has come a long way from the shy 15-year-old that won the nation's hearts in 2002 at the IAAF World Junior Championships in Kingston, this shows he still has much further to go before he can he considered worthy of ambassadorial and OJ status.

Even before he made those unfortunate comments, it should have been obvious that heaping all these accolades on the young man, as well as naming a major highway in his honour, were premature.

No one can deny Usain or any one else the right to choose sides in any debate, be it dance hall favourites, abortion, separation of church and state or anything else for that matter. But to who much is given, much is expected and we also need to learn how we go about defending our choices.

With the status Bolt has earned over the past 16 months, or so we hope, he could use this leverage to try and broker some common ground between the dance hall factions, instead of add fuel to the already heated debate.

As for the awards that are to be bestowed on him later this year, no one can even start to deny that as a nation we owe him and that the other athletes must get the recognition they deserve.
      It is my opinion, however, that the government acted with haste and speed that can only be matched by Usain Bolt himself, and more time and thought should have been put into how the athletes are honoured.

If, as we hope, there is so much more for Bolt and the others to achieve in track and field, then the OJ was a quantum leap when maybe a shorter stride would have been more prudent.

What will happen if say Bolt is to add the 400m to his repertoire of events and he goes on to hold the World Records in all three individual events, while winning gold medals in all three in say the London Olympics in 2012, will he be accorded the Order of Merit or National Hero status then? What other roadway will there be to add his name to?

Maybe the Government should have waited and started smaller; maybe they could have ensured that the road between Martha Brae and Sherwood Content be widened and paved and then name it in Bolt's honour. Making sure the residents have constant water supply would not hurt either.

Naming one of the stands at the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium in his honour would also be a fitting tribute as he continues to grow into the man and ambassador we know he will be one day.
      agree with the article
      Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
      United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
      happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
      Probably forthcoming...

Comment

While I respect your points and honesty I still disagree.

What he has achieved and how he has conducted himself on the international stage over the past 2 years make him a candidate to be honored.

I am tired of seen grandfathers been honored after their work is forgotten and no longer in the public domain. Bolt has some growing to do and sometimes resposiblity make us grow up fast. Check some of the politicans and others who are honored with worst character than Bolt, the only difference is they are not as in the international limelight.

I think Bolt can be a role model for Jamaican kids to look up to and feel they can conquer and is recognised by their own. We wait until Bob and Marcus died.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Bolt not ready for an OJ
          On the sporting edge
          Paul Reid

to my mind, this is a perfectly judged point of view.

Comment

Sass, an OJ is an award for a life time of work so if Grandfathers are getting them so be it...the OD has been watered down enough so much even football players are getting them now
            Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
            Che Guevara.

Comment

God forbid but if Bolt career end now, then he would deserve it?

My thing is what he has accomplished has not been accomplished before in a lifetime by a Jamaican or anybody else.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Give him the sports man of the year award, whats the big deal?

You just not getting it, the OJ is supposed to recognise a life time of excellence and yes if his career ends next year then give it to him in 2011.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

I understand what you are saying, however my opinion is different.

Comment

Good Article!

Sass, an OJ is an award for a life time of work so if Grandfathers are getting them so be it...the OD has been watered down enough so much even football players are getting them now
                    This is a very good and well reasoned column you have written, Sickko. In addition, I fully agree with your position on the matter!

Comment

ditto!
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Excellent article, and I fully agree with you.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

nice article sickko... you make a solid argument for your position...
                          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Steeeupps

BOlt shoulda get the Nobel Peace prize as well! LoL

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                              Steeeupps

BOlt shoulda get the Nobel Peace prize as well! LoL
                              mek dat the Nobel SPEED prize !!
                              Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Working...
                              X