Clear All

• 'VC' to be UNESCO's Champion for Sports

Interesting comments...check out the link at bottom of story

Sport
    Mrs Ambassador!
    'VC' to be UNESCO's Champion for Sports
    BY KAYON RAYNOR Senior staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, October 02, 2009
    JAMAICA'S two-time Olympic 200 metres gold medallist Veronica Campbell-Brown has accepted an offer from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) to be one of its Champions for Sports with a special mission of promoting gender equality.

"Gender equality in sports has always been an issue and I'm very proud that I'll be an ambassador in that area, so the UNESCO award is phenomenal for me," Campbell-Brown told journalists at the Norman Manley International Airport last evening ahead of this weekend's three-day celebration of Jamaica's performance at the 12th IAAF World Championships in August.

Berlino the mascot from the 12th IAAF World Championships in Berlin, Germany, paid a surprise visit to the Jamaican athletes who arrived in the island last night for this weekend's celebrations. Two-time Olympic 200m gold medallist, Veronica Campbell-Brown (2nd left) and her husband, Omar (left); Sports Minister Olivia Grange; quarter-miler Leford Green; hurdler Lacena Golding-Clarke and sprinter Lerone Clarke share in the moment. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)

The other overseas-based athletes who returned home last evening were Lacena Golding-Clarke, Isa Phillips, Lerone Clarke, Leford Green, Maurice Wignall, Jovanee Jarrett, Julian Reid and Nicholas Gordon.

Campbell-Brown, the only athlete to win 100 metres gold medals at the World Youth, Junior and Senior levels, will be the first female athlete from the Caribbean and North America to become a UNESCO Ambassador for Sports.

"It's a very prestigious award and I'll be in the ranks of people like Pele, one of my all-time favourite (football players), so I'm looking forward to it and I'll definitely do my absolute best to carry out my duties," Campbell-Brown added.

Other sports personalities to have been named UNESCO advocates include former Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher, Olympic pole vault champion Serhiy Bubka, legendary hockey player Viatcheslav Fetisov, the Ukrainian boxing heavyweight champions Vitaliy and Wladimir Klitschko, as well as Belgian tennis player Justine Henin.

Minister of Sports Olivia Grange, who made the announcement about Campbell-Brown's appointment, also disclosed that celebrations, which begin this evening with a "golden reception" at Jamaica House, are progressing smoothly.

"There is much anticipation... there's a buzz all over the country and tickets are in high demand. In fact, we printed 21,000 tickets and distributed those tickets yesterday (Wednesday) and we've been asked to print more tickets, so we're really going to have 'wall to wall' people in Trelawny," Grange said.

The athletes were also welcomed by president of the Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association (JAAA) Howard Aris, who introduced a high-level delegation from Birmingham - the city which will host the nation's athletes at the London 2012 Olympic Games - to the athletes.

A church service, which forms part of the celebrations for the record 13 medals (seven gold, four silver and two bronze) secured by the nation's athletes in Berlin, Germany, will also be held tomorrow in Portmore.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...BASSADOR__.asp
    Last edited by Karl; October 2, 2009, 11:32 AM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Congrats VC - nice picture too!
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
    X