Racers Press Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racers Press Conference

why do I have to rely on foreign media outlets to get information? aww bwoii

Bolt’s teammates did nothing illegal says Mills

Posted by admin on Sep 24th, 2009 and filed under News
    39 views Print This Post Email This Post

KINGSTON – The President of Usain Bolt’s Racer’s Track Club, Glen Mills, has cleared the air on two of his athletes who are facing three month bans because of having Adverse Analytical Findings (AAF) returned in their samples taken at Jamaica’s National Championships in June.

Club members Yohan Blake and Marvin Anderson, along with Allodin Fothergill and Lansford Spencer were banned for three months after their samples returned Adverse Analytical Findings (AFF) from June’s National Championships. All four athletes missed the World Championships.

Marvin Anderson (left) and Yohan Blake

Since then however, Stephen Francis, in a television interview suggested the substance taken could in fact be used, as a masking agent.

Mills, a respected coach with over 40 years experience then went about clearing the air by first referring to his club’s motto, which states, ‘We take competition seriously’.

“That is our singular point of inspiration that guides us as we go through our daily paces,” he said.”

“It is important that I dispel some untruths that regrettably now has a life of it’s own and have been accepted as facts … performance enhancing through the use of banned substances is not a part of Racers Track Club’s equation or policy … our success is grounded in hard work, natural talent of our athletes and dedication of our technical staff.”

Mills said he is experienced enough to produce world-class sprinters without the help of banned substances.

“In my 40 years working in track & field, I have neither encouraged or supported the use of banned substances to enhance athletic performances… I firmly believe that the principles of honesty and hard work are the tools for the development of one’s given talent.

“I am a firm believer in my ability, knowledge and expertise as a coach to develop any talent anywhere in the world in the area of sprinting … I need no illegal help…its a principle I adhere to throughout all my years of coaching and a principle I will take to my grave.”

The supplement in question is Musclespeed and according to Mills, it was clearly written on the product that it was WADA and NCAA compliant.

“The literature on the supplement at the time of purchase was crystal clear in bold writing that it was WADA and NCAA compliant. Since the news came out, the manufacture changed the wording to read differently and when the results came out they removed it entirely from their literature,” said Mills.

It was because of this, Mills said that they are considering legal action against the manufacture.

“We are in the process of securing the services of a prominent law firm in the United States to process the matter… we will hear further on that aspect.”

Mills said it has been a ‘teachable moment for Racers Track Club’.

As a result he said, they have appointed a medical panel, “This panel will advise, vet and approve supplement programs for each of our athletes and all our athletes must comply with the recommendations of this medical panel.”

In regards to the supplement taken by the athletes, club doctor Peter Ruddock is still not convinced it was a breach of WADA rules.

The Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO), who carried out the test and later appealed the Jamaica Anti-Doping Disciplinary Panel not-guilty findings said, 4-Methyl-2-hexanamine, which was found in the samples has a similar chemical struture to tuaminoheptane and according to WADA, should be considered a breach.

Dr. Ruddock explained: “Tuaminoheptane if you look at it, is a straight compound with one branch. 4-Methyl-2-hexanamine is not a straight compound, it’s a little shorter and has two branches… they are made up of the same amount of carbons, the same amount of hydrogen and the same amount of nitrogen atoms but in chemistry that does mean anything about how the compound will behave.”

“Structure in similarity has nothing to do with biological similarity.”

Mills promised Racers Track Club will live on.
    Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
    Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

You do understand that Track Alerts is done in Kingston by some one who work for the Gleaner?
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Mills hits back I need no illegal help, says Mills
      ... Gears for legal war against supplement makers
      By Howard Walker Observer staff reporter walkerh@jamaicaobserver.com
      Friday, September 25, 2009
      Glen Mills, president and head coach of Racers Track Club, is preparing to take legal action against the manufacturers of a nutritional supplement for misleading information which implicated two of his athletes.
      Speaking publicly on the issue for the first time, the veteran coach has also come to the defence of club members Yohan Blake and Marvin Anderson, who were both given three-month bans by the ruling local governing body for track and field, the Jamaica Amateur Athletics Association (JAAA), for their use of the prohibited drug, 4-Methyl-2-Hexanamine.
      The suspensions are scheduled to run from September 14 to December 14.
      "We are in the process of securing the services of a prominent law firm in the US to proceed on the matter. You will hear further on that matter," said Mills at a press conference yesterday at Eden Gardens.

"What has happened since the news became public, the manufacturers changed the wordings to read differently and when the results came out, they had removed it entirely," Mills pointed out.
      "It is clear from the findings of the disciplinary hearing that our athletes made an error of judgement in trusting the manufacturers' claims that they were WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) compliant," Mills admitted.
      And contrary to earlier reports, Mills refuted claims that his athletes had confessed to taking a banned substance.
      "The athletes did not confess to knowingly taking a banned substance. They, however, accepted the adverse analytical findings of the laboratory," Mills explained.
      That acceptance of the findings came about because the club could not at that time contest what the lab had found.
      "They (the athletes) took the supplement in good faith and it was Wada compliant. This was their submission at the Disciplinary Committee (hearing). There is no evidence to the contrary," said Mills.
      Mills, a coach of over 40 years and the man behind Usain Bolt's phenomenal success over the past two years, said he is a firm believer in his ability and knowledge to develop any talent in the area of sprinting.
      "I need no illegal help. It's a principle I adhered to throughout all my years of coaching and a principle I will take to my grave," said Mills.
      Meanwhile, Carole Beckford, marketing officer for the Kingston-based Racers Track Club, said the application of supplements by the athletes has been taking place through a particular method where various checks are carried out based on the literature that is available.
      "There was an element of surprise when the adverse analytical findings came out and the name of the substance which was indicated was not found anywhere on the various lists which were checked," Beckford said.
      She also noted that the original wording from the website before the matter became public knowledge has been changed several times.
      "In our checks while we were investigating through our own facilities, we found that there were adjustments to the literature on one of the websites," said Beckford.
      Samples taken at the National Championships from June 26-28, the qualifying meet for the World Championships in Berlin, Germany, came back positive for five athletes.
      The others who failed the urine test were Sheri-Ann Brooks, Lansford Spence and Allodin Fothergill, with Brooks getting off on a technicality because her 'B' sample was tested without her knowledge.
      All the athletes were at first cleared because the substance found was not on the WADA banned list or of similar composition, but the Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO) appealed the decision, arguing that the substance had similar chemical structure to tuaminoheptane - a banned substance.
      Dr Peter Ruddock, a part of the Racers setup, said the substance in question is also commonly known as "geranamine" and is a natural product.
      Said Ruddock: "Based on my research... it's a natural compound which comes from a plant. In my research, I see no proof that this compound can be used as a stimulant (and), cannot be used to mask any drug. It doesn't make any sense."
      In moving forward, the track club has implemented certain policies as part of its development plan.
      "I can assure you it has been a teachable moment for Racers Track Club. It has put a spotlight on the areas that needed strengthening and we will use this as a catalyst to build a better club," said Mills.
      As a result, Racers will now appoint a medical panel of three professionals to advise and approve the supplement programme of each athlete.
      "All our athletes must comply with the medical recommendations of the panel and will not be allowed to take any supplements on their own," Mills noted.
      The club will also hold a series of educational seminars to raise the awareness of the anti-doping policies and testing procedures of the IAAF and Wada.
      Participation will be mandatory for every member of the club. Racers will also intensify the education of their athletes to make them fully aware of the substances in over-the-counter medications like cold medicine, as well as popular energy drinks.
      "This is in an effort to help them guard against any drug violation," Mills pointed out.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Racers mull legal action

Published: Friday | September 25, 2009

Leighton Levy, Gleaner Writer

President of the Racers Track Club, Glen Mills, speaking at a press conference hosted by the club at Eden Gardens on Lady Musgrave Road, St Andrew, yesterday. At right is the club's marketing and communications officer Carole Beckford. - Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer
        Racers Track Club is considering legal action against the manufacturers of a supplement which contained the stimulant that caused two of their athletes to be banned for three months after their test samples returned adverse analytical findings. The testing was done during the National Championships held in June this year to select the team to the World Championships in Athletics in Berlin, Germany.
        Club president Glen Mills revealed this development during a press conference held yesterday at Eden on Lady Musgrave Road in St Andrew. The press conference was called so the club could tell their side of the story about how the athletes' samples came to produce the adverse findings.
        Error in judgement
        Mills claimed that the list of contents on the supplement, Muscle Speed, that primarily contains B, E, and C, did not mention that it contained 4-methyl-2-hexanamine, a compound that resembles tuaminoheptane, a stimulant that is on the World Anti-Doping Agency's banned list. "The athletes made an error in judgement in trusting that the product was WADA compliant," he said.
        "The literature on the substance at the time of purchase was crystal clear in bold writing that it was WADA and compliant," Mills continued, adding that when news of the adverse findings became public, the manufacturers changed the wording on the used to peddle the supplement. "We are in the process of securing the services of a law firm in the United States to proceed on the matter," he added.
        Carole Beckford, the and communications officer at Racers, who also addressed the conference, said they were surprised about the adverse findings. Various checks had been conducted prior to the athletes taking the supplements and the offending stimulant was not on any of the various WADA lists. Nor was it listed as an ingredient of Muscle Speed.
        Muscle Speed tablets, as prescribed by the website, are to be taken about an hour before competition or training so the athlete can "unleash unprecedented power and speed".
        But, according to Dr Peter Ruddock from the Department of Chemistry at the University of the West Indies, who also addressed journalists at the conference, the amount of 4-methyl-2-hexanamine that was in each tablet was so minute it would have little or no effect on an athlete's performance. The compound was so ineffective it was once being used in nasal decongestants but was eventually pulled from the market. He said one would need 60 bottles of Muscle Speed to get one teaspoonful of the compound, adding that a 1944 research paper showed that it was not a very good stimulant. He also explained that it would be no good as a masking agent as it is so easy to detect.
        Defending the athletes - Yohan Blake and Marvin Anderson - Beckford said there was no confession of guilt from them at the Jamaica Anti-Doping Appeals Tribunal held earlier this month. She explained that they accepted the adverse findings because there was no way to contest them.
        Negative fallout
        Mills revealed that the athletes were having a hard time dealing with the negative fallout from the situation. "It has been a tremendous blow," Mills said. "It's a good thing we have good support. We have a strong faith in God. They have been able to deal with the pressure so far."
        He said what the situation had exposed some areas of weakness in their organisation which they will address by the setting up of a medical panel which will, among other things, have to approve all supplements before they are ingested by the athletes.
        According to him, it's not as if the athletes under his care need to cheat to win. "In 40 years of working in track and field, I have neither encouraged nor supported the use of banned substances to support athletic performances. I firmly believe in the principles of honesty and hard work as the tools of development of one's God-given talent," he said. "I am also a firm believer in my ability, honesty and expertise as a coach to develop any talent in any area of the world in the area of sprinting. I need no illegal help."

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

So I gather it was a part of the training regiment as it was admitted the supplement was sourced directly from a company on a website and not at a chocolate party.

So does the JAAA plan any sanctions against Mills or are they going to wait for Racers (if they feel like it ) to take legal action against the supplement company.

Technically Mills should be sanctioned if the athletes admitted having an adverse analytical finding in thier bodies then Mills has (do do) on his hands after admitting it was sourced by Racers as a part of its training regime , so do the JAAA .

My opinion yes Mosiah my agenda.
          Last edited by Sir X; September 25, 2009, 07:26 AM.

Comment

ok sah
            Karl commenting on Maschaeroni's sending off, "Getting sent off like that is anti-TEAM!
            Terrible decision by the player!":busshead::Laugh&roll::Laugh&roll::eek::La ugh&roll:

Comment

Why couldn't the club contest what the lab found at the time and even though the punihsment won't be changed if they were to contest it now, would they expect to find something different?

Carol Beckford is a disaster did you read what she said?

Good luck to Racers, they either need to step up their game or find some new poople, their protocol sounds sloppy and fill with holes, not to mention Dr Ruddock who seems to redefining chemistry and making up his own rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuttie View Post
                Why couldn't the club contest what the lab found at the time and even though the punihsment won't be changed if they were to contest it now, would they expect to find something different?

Carol Beckford is a disaster did you read what she said?

Good luck to Racers, they either need to step up their game or find some new poople, their protocol sounds sloppy and fill with holes, not to mention Dr Ruddock who seems to redefining chemistry and making up his own rules.
                Probablt did not make much sense to challenge the lab. If the lab said that they found X most likely X was there...what is more important is whether or not X is a banned substance. It appears that Mills tossed in the towel once he realized that X was a stimualant.
                The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

as you said it make no sense challenging the lab finding. They pretty much admitted they took the substance. I hope they sue the company.

How X come to the conclusion that they coach must be punished. How many coaches are punished for such violations?
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

ZZactly, he's shadow boxing.

Comment

Don't know of any so far but why is it that the athlete is punished while the coach walks free. Something is structurally wrong with the sport.

Mrs Beckford basically confessed that the club is responsible for providing dope/illegal/banned substances to the athlete.

Where did Dr. Ruddock get is Phd from?

Comment

After reading the Gleaner's version, the story makes alot more sence, except for Mrs Beckford who incriminated the club.

The Observer did a hack of a job(as usual).

Comment

Don't know if it was said before, but I can't believe Racers track club does not already have a medical staff to guide its athletes! Bolt could easily have been in this mix-up. (Matter of fact, not sure he wasn't. Yes, I said it!)

This is something that should have been taken care of a long time ago. Every Racers athlete should be monitored as to every solitary thing that goes into their bodies. Come on now, Glen, unnu fi do betta dan dat!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I feel the same way about BOLT.

Racers is comming off as a mini-JAAA in the making. Hope they make some radical adjustments over the coming months.

Comment

totally agree with you mosiah... it was surprising to learn that racers did not have a med staff for guidance...

however, this answers the question of those who want to point fingers at jamaican athletes involvement in doping...

it also supports mills consistent declaration that they do things the old fashioned way... no use any illegal substances (until this evidently innocent use of supplement), just hard work and technique development...

doping regimens require sophistication... medical personnel for optimization and to beat the drug enforcers... that is clearly lacking in racers... if it is lacking in racers, it is reasonable to assume it is lacking in the other groups without the resources of racers...

certainly, things will have to change and they are changing to be on top of the ever expanding sophisticated wada requirements...

'chemists' are now major players in t&f and to enter this game, they will have to be a part of a club or organization's structure...

in defense of racers, they are relatively new and only recently may have had the resources to bring these med personnel on board... they are still a work in progress... they will get better...

mvp on the other hand has enjoyed more success for a longer period and has more resources at their disposal... if franno had made a similar admission, it would have been more daunting...

it is a learning experience for all of jamaica t&f...
                              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                              X