'Not major' - Sports official downplays Jamaican athletes' positive testing
Published: Saturday | July 25, 2009
Anthony Foster, Gleaner Writer
SPORTS OFFICIAL Dr Herb Elliott says nothing "major" is involved in the five positive tests confirmed yesterday by Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO) and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
"I can assure you it wasn't any major stuff," Elliott, a member of both the IAAF's Medical and Anti-Doping Commission and JADCO, told The Gleaner. He disclosed that "some of the athletes have been informed", but noted that all would have to be informed before any names can be disclosed.
At that stage a hearing will be held and a request made for the B sample to be tested. Elliot said sanctions cannot be taken against the athletes until after the hearing and the possible testing of the B sample. The Gleaner has learnt that the hearing is scheduled to be held next week.
JADCO, in a release sent yesterday by Director of in the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture, Oliver Watt, said of the 43 tests taken at the Senior National Championships held late last month "there are five adverse analytical findings (AAF)".
In explaining the AAF, Elliott said: "It's a finding showing that there is something. It is for us now to find out (what) and also analyse it."
He also dismissed rumours that the JAAA had approved the alleged supplement taken by the athletes: "The JAAA cannot approve any supplement ... (it) doesn't have power to approve any supplement, so that is rubbish."
According to Nick Davies, communications director for the IAAF, five athletes are involved - four males and one female.
"It's very, very early in the process so we cannot say who they are or what the substance is," Davies told the Press Association in London.
identities unknown
The identities of the athletes implicated in the use of performance-enhancing substance remain unknown. The JADCO release explained: "JADCO has specific protocols that govern the of all results. These include, among other things, the proper notification of all athletes involved ... therefore, JADCO cannot provide any further information until all result management protocols have been observed and satisfied."
Meanwhile, triple gold medallist Usain, in a BBC interview, said he is no way worried. "I'm sure it's not me so I'm not really worried," Bolt told journalists after winning the men's 100m at the London yesterday. The Press Association also quoted Asafa Powell as saying, "It's their bad luck, it's not for me to worry about, and it doesn't affect me one bit. People might be saying bad stuff now but it doesn't really bother me."
Published: Saturday | July 25, 2009
Anthony Foster, Gleaner Writer
SPORTS OFFICIAL Dr Herb Elliott says nothing "major" is involved in the five positive tests confirmed yesterday by Jamaica Anti-Doping Commission (JADCO) and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF).
"I can assure you it wasn't any major stuff," Elliott, a member of both the IAAF's Medical and Anti-Doping Commission and JADCO, told The Gleaner. He disclosed that "some of the athletes have been informed", but noted that all would have to be informed before any names can be disclosed.
At that stage a hearing will be held and a request made for the B sample to be tested. Elliot said sanctions cannot be taken against the athletes until after the hearing and the possible testing of the B sample. The Gleaner has learnt that the hearing is scheduled to be held next week.
JADCO, in a release sent yesterday by Director of in the Ministry of Youth, Sports and Culture, Oliver Watt, said of the 43 tests taken at the Senior National Championships held late last month "there are five adverse analytical findings (AAF)".
In explaining the AAF, Elliott said: "It's a finding showing that there is something. It is for us now to find out (what) and also analyse it."
He also dismissed rumours that the JAAA had approved the alleged supplement taken by the athletes: "The JAAA cannot approve any supplement ... (it) doesn't have power to approve any supplement, so that is rubbish."
According to Nick Davies, communications director for the IAAF, five athletes are involved - four males and one female.
"It's very, very early in the process so we cannot say who they are or what the substance is," Davies told the Press Association in London.
identities unknown
The identities of the athletes implicated in the use of performance-enhancing substance remain unknown. The JADCO release explained: "JADCO has specific protocols that govern the of all results. These include, among other things, the proper notification of all athletes involved ... therefore, JADCO cannot provide any further information until all result management protocols have been observed and satisfied."
Meanwhile, triple gold medallist Usain, in a BBC interview, said he is no way worried. "I'm sure it's not me so I'm not really worried," Bolt told journalists after winning the men's 100m at the London yesterday. The Press Association also quoted Asafa Powell as saying, "It's their bad luck, it's not for me to worry about, and it doesn't affect me one bit. People might be saying bad stuff now but it doesn't really bother me."
Comment