• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appendix gone..Shelly-Ann leads the World

Bolt, Fraser snatch blue riband 100m titles
    CHAMPS OBLIGE
    BY KAYON RAYNOR Senior staff reporter raynork@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, June 28, 2009

Olympic 100-metre champions Shelly-Ann Fraser and Usain Bolt confirmed their readiness for this summer's 12th IAAF World Championships in Berlin by posting world leading times in the blue riband event on day two of the Supreme Ventures National Senior Championships at the National Stadium last night.

Running in lane three, Fraser exploded from the blocks to lead from start to finish, just like she did at last summer's Beijing Olympics.
    Olympic champion Usain Bolt (left) celebrates approaching the finish line in the men's 100m final ahead of former world record holder Asafa Powell on the second day of the Supreme Ventures National Senior Championships at the National Stadium last night. Bolt clocked an impressive 9.86 seconds. (Photo: Bryan Cummings) The second fastest Jamaica woman of all time who previously struggled to break 11 seconds all season after an appendix operation in April, crossed the line in 10.88secs despite running into a head wind of (-1.5 m/s).
    "Yes, I'm (satisfied) because my coach has been working really hard with me and I love him so much for all his patience and everything he has worked on for me," Fraser told the Sunday Observer.

"I mean, it was a really bad season for me because I had to take out my appendix and after that I got a hamstring strain, so at times I was really frustrated, but my coach was my motivator, along with my teammates, so I thank God for that," Fraser added.

Olympic silver medallist and defending champion Kerron Stewart, who entered the meet with the world leading mark of 10.92, surged in the last 50 metres after getting off to a poor start to claim second place with 10.93ses ahead of Commonwealth Games champion Sheri-Ann Brooks, 11.16.
    Olympic 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser (right) wins the blue riband event ahead of Olympic silver medallist and defending champion Kerron Stewart at the National Stadium last night. Fraser clocked a fast 10.88secs. (Photo: Bryan Cummings) Olympic silver medallist Sherone Simpson, who was running her first race since undergoing surgery on her left knee in September, finished fifth in semi-final two and did not make the final.
    World 100 and 200m record holder Usain Bolt recovered from a less than impressive start to catch and pass early leaders Asafa Powell and Michael Frater at the 50-metre mark before cruising to victory in 10.86secs (wind -0.2).
    Bolt, who was retaining his national 100m crown, was satisfied with his effort.
    "I did not know it was a negative wind, so that is good because it shows that I'm really getting into shape and I'm feeling good after finishing injury-free," Bolt said.
    "The execution was good because I think I got a fairly good start as I didn't get left in the blocks and I got my drive phase right even though I came up a little early," he added, noting that he may take it easy in the 200 metres today.
    Word 100m bronze medallist Powell, who has struggled with an ankle injury all season, broke 10 seconds for the first time this season taking second position in 9.97seconds, ahead of 2005 silver medallist Frater, 10.02secs.
    Powell said: "I'm pretty much running on one leg, so I'm very happy and my main aim here was just to finish in the top two."
    Earlier, Olympic semi-finalist Isa Phillips produced a world leading 48.05 seconds to win his first national 400m hurdles title ahead of 2004 Olympic silver medallist and five time champion (2003, '04, '06, '07, '08) Danny McFarlane, 48.54.
    National junior record holder Josef Robertson produced a World Championship automatic qualifying mark of 49.22 to finish third.
    The women's equivalent went to Olympic gold medallist and record holder Melaine Walker, who had to catch the fast-starting 2006 World Junior champion Kaleise Spencer (54.71secs) in the last 20 metres to win by 0.01 with 54.70secs.
    Pan American Games silver medallist Nickiesha Wilson finished third with 56.01.
    In other finals contested yesterday, national 10,000m record holder Mardrea Hyman posted 10:09.58 to win the event over Korene Hinds, 10:35.89. Andre Drummonds won the men's 1500m in 3:55.09secs.
    Fireworks are expected in the finals of the men's and women's 400 metres today following some impressive running in yesterday's semi-final round.
    Olympic and World Championship semi-finalist Ricardo Chambers produced a season best 45.43secs to win semi-final one and progressed to the final with the fastest time ahead of Allodin Fothergill, 45.48.
    Defending champion Michael Blackwood, who clocked 45.59 to finish fourth in his semi-final, was later disqualified for a lane violation (Rule # 1633.3).
    On the women's side, Olympic silver medallist Shericka Williams (50.88) and Novlene Williams-Mills (51.05) are the fastest qualifiers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bx-_3fWqrk 100M Women

Kerron & Aleen were visibly upset post race... was the gun too fast... or was Shelly-Ann too fast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1RBBWfos0Y 100 meters Men
    Last edited by Don1; June 28, 2009, 06:56 AM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

really, when i watched the race i thought someone movd and the race would be called back...

saf was just too far out in front... it just seemed unreal... damn, saf is like a bullet... with a start like that, she could beat any male sprinters to 30 meters...

my feel good story is annie mclaughlin... she is on her way back... i hope they take her to berlin...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

We still have to give credit to Kerron Stewart for that run-down. Can you imagine if she learns how to start properly? She is just like Bolt when it comes to their styles of racing.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Good Observation

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
        We still have to give credit to Kerron Stewart for that run-down. Can you imagine if she learns how to start properly? She is just like Bolt when it comes to their styles of racing.
        Shelly-Ann Fraser’s start is explosive, just like Gail Devers’ used to be. In fact, this rivalry between Fraser and Kerron Stewart brings to mind those Merlene Ottey vs. Gail Devers performances! Devers always had the explosive start, while Merlene’s strength was her top end speed. Merlene wasn’t the greatest starter, but she had a powerful finish (marred only by her continued failure to lean at the tape effectively).

Comment

for real historian!!! never thought of that comparison....mi bex seh mi neva notice it beofre..

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            Shelly-Ann Fraser’s start is explosive, just like Gail Devers’ used to be. In fact, this rivalry between Fraser and Kerron Stewart brings to mind those Merlene Ottey vs. Gail Devers performances! Devers always had the explosive start, while Merlene’s strength was her top end speed. Merlene wasn’t the greatest starter, but she had a powerful finish (marred only by her continued failure to lean at the tape effectively).
            Merlene's finish was generally marred by doped up Americans. Not leaning at the tape was a secondary problem.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Leaning Sufficiently Was a Major Problem!

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              Merlene's finish was generally marred by doped up Americans. Not leaning at the tape was a secondary problem.
              I don’t wish to debate every statement I make, so I’ll simply suggest this: If you have tapes of Merlene Ottey’s races, simply view some of those tapes (or DVDs). You will no doubt notice that, when compared to sprinters like Gwen Torrence and Gail Devers, Merlene Ottey’s lean at the tape was often not as forceful (the position of the area between the shoulders and the waist -- the torso -- at the finish line determines the winner).

For example, shortly after reading your reply earlier this morning, I looked briefly at one of the most controversial of the races in which Merlene took part, the 100-meter at the 1996 Olympic Games (which was every bit as controversial as the women’s 100-meter dash at the 1993 IAAF World Championships in Stuttgart, Germany). The live commentator at the 1996 Olympic Games who said that Gail Devers won by the tip of her long fingernails was actually making a serious statement below the obvious humor. Gail dipped deep, while Merlene barely dipped (her finish was almost elegant!!) , resulting in the win being awarded to Gail by a thousandth of a second.

Go back and review those tapes of her style! Ironically, there were relays on which Merlene ran anchor in which she dipped hard!

Alleged drug use or not (and to this day I refuse to believe that athletes such as Evelyn Ashford and Gwen Torrence were users of performance enhancing drugs), Merlene Ottey’s finish was a major problem for her! In an extremely competitive field, the dip at the line can make all the difference, as Veronica Campbell-Brown showed us so effectively at the 2007 IAAF World Championships in Osaka!

Comment

dip deep? understatement of the year so far!!!

historian gail devers practically did an exorcist rotation of her head to get it at that angle! if ever we meet face to face i will give you the merlene interview afterwards.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Interesting....

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  dip deep? understatement of the year so far!!!

historian gail devers practically did an exorcist rotation of her head to get it at that angle! if ever we meet face to face i will give you the merlene interview afterwards.....
                  Thanks for pointing this out! Gail Devers was a fighting animal in every sense of the word, and I’m not surprised she always came out on top (and that she tumbled so badly in the 100-meter hurdles at the 1992 Barcelona Olympic Games -- that was an awful fall, almost as bad as that by Brigitte Foster-Hylton at the 2003 IAAF World Championships).

I will always remember Gail’s anchor leg on the USA 4x100-meter relay team that set the American record at the 1997 IAAF World Championships in Athens! That team has to be one of the most formidable USA teams ever (Chryste Gaines on lead-off, Marion Jones on second leg, Inger Miller on curve and Gail on anchor). Jamaica, anchored by Beverley Grant, got the silver medal but we were way, way behind the USA team! France got the bronze far behind Jamaica. The Bahamas, silver medal winners at the previous year’s Olympic Games, might have challenged, but their first baton exchange between Sevatheda Fynes (lead-off) and Eldece Clarke (second leg) was one of the most horrible baton exchanges I’ve ever seen in a sprint relay!! The result was that, despite fielding an excellent team, the Bahamas (anchored by Pauline Davis) could only place sixth. But I digress….

(Islandman, do you see the benefits of keeping those videotapes, boss? LOL)

Gamma, I’m really curious now about that Merlene Ottey interview (which I never heard or read)!

Comment

I don’t wish to debate every statement I make, so I’ll simply suggest this: If you have tapes of Merlene Ottey’s races, simply view some of those tapes (or DVDs). You will no doubt notice that, when compared to sprinters like Gwen Torrence and Gail Devers, Merlene Ottey’s lean at the tape was often not as forceful (the position of the area between the shoulders and the waist -- the torso -- at the finish line determines the winner).

For example, shortly after reading your reply earlier this morning, I looked briefly at one of the most controversial of the races in which Merlene took part, the 100-meter at the 1996 Olympic Games (which was every bit as controversial as the women’s 100-meter dash at the 1993 IAAF World Championships in Stuttgart, Germany). The live commentator at the 1996 Olympic Games who said that Gail Devers won by the tip of her long fingernails was actually making a serious statement below the obvious humor. Gail dipped deep, while Merlene barely dipped (her finish was almost elegant!!) , resulting in the win being awarded to Gail by a thousandth of a second.

Go back and review those tapes of her style! Ironically, there were relays on which Merlene ran anchor in which she dipped hard!

Alleged drug use or not (and to this day I refuse to believe that athletes such as Evelyn Ashford and Gwen Torrence were users of performance enhancing drugs), Merlene Ottey’s finish was a major problem for her! In an extremely competitive field, the dip at the line can make all the difference, as Veronica Campbell-Brown showed us so effectively at the 2007 IAAF World Championships in Osaka!
                    I'm not disputing your thesis at all.... I agree that not leaning at the tape was an issue for her.

I have followed track a long time and have created track publications... some incidentally featuring Merlene the Great.... whose career I have studied and admire.

She was definitely affected by other's use of PED... from Eastern Europeans to Americans.
                    Not calling names but there were many times in her career that her competitors would not have been at the finish line with her without "special" assistance. Absent that assistance Melene's leaning or lack thereof would have been moot.

To believe otherwise is naive.

VCB is benefiting from an era of relatively cleaner athletes.

Comment

Share Your Views

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                      I'm not disputing your thesis at all.... I agree that not leaning at the tape was an issue for her.

I have followed track a long time and have created track publications... some incidentally featuring Merlene the Great.... whose career I have studied and admire.

She was definitely affected by other's use of PED... from Eastern Europeans to Americans.
                      Not calling names but there were many times in her career that her competitors would not have been at the finish line with her without "special" assistance. Absent that assistance Melene's leaning or lack thereof would have been moot.

To believe otherwise is naive.

VCB is benefiting from an era of relatively cleaner athletes.
                      Actually, I’m agreeing with everything you’re saying here, Don1.

My earlier comment was not a deliberate effort to minimize what you said about Merlene’s great challenge in running at a time when performance enhancing drug use was predominant. You are absolutely correct in this, which is why I share your view that “VCB is benefiting from an era of relatively cleaner athletes.” You are so correct with this, and it can also be seen from what happened on the field and on the tracks last year in Beijing in this era of elaborate blood testing!

My comment was meant to highlight the fact that Merlene never seemed to master the “art” of effective leaning at the line. In addition, I can recall one race where she literally gave up the fight over the last meters (I’m referring here to the 200-meter race at the Atlanta Olympic Games in 1996 when Jose Marie Perec “strode” past her in the closing meters). So, personal frustration at Merlene was, unfortunately, not absent from my comments. (By the way, I mentioned in my first post Gwen Torrence and Gail Devers at the line, but I could have easily included last year’s finish by Kerron Stewart in the finals of the 100-meter dash, including the perfect timing of her lean, which was superb.)

Incidentally, my all-time favorite Jamaican female athletes are Merlene Ottey and Veronica Campbell-Brown, both of whom I admire enormously.

The female athletes I think back on with the greatest regret (that is, lament the most) are Revoli Campbell, Lisa Sharpe, Claudine Williams, and Nikole Mitchell.

But a well stated post, boss!

Comment

i could write it but it comes off much better if heard! btw what state are you in? no not mental state....united state of america i.e.

Comment

Actually, I’m agreeing with everything you’re saying here, Don1.

My earlier comment was not a deliberate effort to minimize what you said about Merlene’s great challenge in running at a time when performance enhancing drug use was predominant. You are absolutely correct in this, which is why I share your view that “VCB is benefiting from an era of relatively cleaner athletes.” You are so correct with this, and it can also be seen from what happened on the field and on the tracks last year in Beijing in this era of elaborate blood testing!

My comment was meant to highlight the fact that Merlene never seemed to master the “art” of effective leaning at the line. In addition, I can recall one race where she literally gave up the fight over the last meters (I’m referring here to the 200-meter race at the Atlanta Olympic Games in 1996 when Jose Marie Perec “strode” past her in the closing meters). So, personal frustration at Merlene was, unfortunately, not absent from my comments. (By the way, I mentioned in my first post Gwen Torrence and Gail Devers at the line, but I could have easily included last year’s finish by Kerron Stewart in the finals of the 100-meter dash, including the perfect timing of her lean, which was superb.)

Incidentally, my all-time favorite Jamaican female athletes are Merlene Ottey and Veronica Campbell-Brown, both of whom I admire enormously.

The female athletes I think back on with the greatest regret (that is, lament the most) are Revoli Campbell, Lisa Sharpe, Claudine Williams, and Nikole Mitchell.

But a well stated post, boss!
                          ok boss... much respect to you for your insights.

Comment

Working...
                          X