No announcement yet.

Let's get this party started already!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's get this party started already!!!

Berlin’s spotlight on at Jamaica trials

Published on: 25th June, 2009....51 views

Berlin's spotlight on at Jamaica trials | read this item

Related News

By Laurie Foster, Senior TrackAlerts Writer

KINGSTON, Jamaica - International cricket is on this weekend at Sabina Park, but, especially with Beijing fever still simmering, it is the National Stadium where most thoughts will be trained, with the most passionate sports lovers taking in both.
    There has been talk of this or that athlete - leave the superstar Bolt out of it – not being in good nick and Berlin will be an anti climax. No amount of negative speculation will dwarf the interest in these trials as the rivalry will be just as riveting and intense, as ever, in some cases, moreso.
    Trackalerts.com, the home of the new buzz in the sport, takes a peek.
    Mens 100m
    Usain Bolt’s 9.77 in Ostrava, albeit with marginally illegal wind support, settles the issue as to the outcome on Saturday evening. Asafa Powell, despite the strength factor seen in an early one lap run and talk out of his camp as to his likely improvement ratio, has not shown that he will be a threat. Some say that he is ‘’playing possum’’, not wanting to show the real 2009 model. In a few days we will know. For the minor places, Steve Mullings, back in the fray from a drug frolic, could lead the pack, which will be without regular finalist, Dwight Thomas, seeking his fortune, fame and future with the sprint hurdles.
    Mens 200m
    This again is Bolt country, unmolested. In fact any challenge to his invincibility, this year, will only come from the USA’s World Champs defending champion, Tyson Gay, whose 19.58 season opener, moistens the palate in anticipation of a top of the table clash, which, if talk is to be counted, could come prior to Berlin. Other notable season performers - Marvin Anderson (20.15), Ainsley Waugh (20.22) and junior, Nickel Ashmeade (20.49) along with the ‘’never say die’’ veteran Christopher Williams could battle out for tickets to the big stage.
    Mens 400m
    If ever there was an event where Jamaica needs a stimulus package it is right here. Unfaithful to tradition, in recent years there has been a musical cheers scenario with Michael Blackwood, Sanjay Ayre and Ricardo Chambers, SB’s 45.54, 45.98, 46.02 respectively all having their say. Add a refreshed Jermaine Gonzales, his best 2009 effort at 46.02, and the charade could continue. All this could be toppled by Dwight Mullings, younger brother of Steve whose 44.98 on the collegiate circuit, buttressed by a plethora of 45 points, could see him all the way home, dependent on his ability to survive the always rigorous NCAA schedule.
    Mens 110mH
    The long talked about and eagerly anticipated checking in of Dwight Thomas is now reality, this being the only event he has entered, although one wonders why not the 100m as well, since a relay berth seems likely and with it the cash spoils on offer. This puts him in contention with many time national champion, and 2008 third placer, Maurice Wignall (13.53SB), and up comer and promising, Richard Phillips (13.42SB), who won the trials in 2008. One feels however that the compelling talent shown by Thomas – 13.37 season best - from his high schooldays and the will to confirm it, should give him the top spot.
    Mens 400mH
    The old warhorse, Danny McFarlane (48.80SB) is not about to give up his champion status but if his legs do not wear well, Isa Phillips has been knocking loudly on the door which just could open and let him in for his first national title. The STATHS graduate and 2007 NCAA champion has been impressive this season putting together some sub 49’s, a 48.36 for top spot at the Belem GP being his best ever. Apart from those two, and with Beijing bench man Adrian Findlay struggling at a 2009 best of 51.65, there has been an evenness of form and any number can play coming from Beijing finalist, Markino Buckley (50.75SB), national junior record holder, Josef Robertson (50.27SB), back after a few years on the injury list and new boy, Ramon Cooper (50.77 SB).
    google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);
    Women’s 100m
    Campbell-Brown, her spot safe as defending champion, will not contest - the desire to redress her surprising fourth spot last year, taking a backseat, as she prepares for the double in Berlin. Sherone Simpson has just joined the fray - after weeks of speculation as to whether or not her knee surgery would heal enough for her to get the green light from her medical staff. This makes the whole outcome more unpredictable; are we going to see Beijing SS or a talented athlete who is a victim of ‘not having one single tune-up race’. 2008 champion and Beijing joint silver medalist, Kerron Stewart, sparsely raced, so far, but bolstered by her world leading 10.92, is ideally placed to do the trick, but to rule out the Olympic champion, the ‘’pocket rocket’’, Shelly Ann Fraser (11.10SB), mending from appendix surgery, would be tantamount to disrespect for her wily coach, Mr. Francis. Sherri Ann Brooks (11.18SB), the 2006 Commonwealth Games champion, seems likely to secure the third spot .
    Women’s 200m
    Given her ability to step up at the distance, when it really matters, the chances of back to back Olympic champion, Veronica Campbell-Brown, boasting a 22.58 single 2009 romp, are almost Boltesque, with Kerron Stewart and Simone Facey, 22.62 and 22.65, respectively, looking to fill the second and third spots.
    Womens 400m
    Shericka Williams (50.58SB), fresh on her Beijing shock silver seems to be ‘’wired to win’’, no pun intended, but one must give a thought to former national champion, Novlene Williams-Mills’ victory, in her year best of 50.99, over the enigmatic but brilliant Sanya Richards at the JIIM, and the early confidence it would have instilled. Those two should occupy the top spots, with global relay medalist, Shereefa Lloyd (51.18) expected to mount some sort of challenge. Let it be said that coach Maurice Wilson has surprised before and could again, modest early form from two of his charges, Rosemarie White (2008 champion, 51.85SB) and Anastacia Leroy (52.90SB), a 2007 WC relay medallist, could be misleading. Another former Wilson athlete, Bobby Gaye Wilkins (50.91SB), has turned up even better, albeit under a new coach – Keith Wilson of the Calabar staff, and cannot be discounted.
    Womens 100mH
    Battle royal looms here – the perennial top contenders and both many time champions, MVP’s flag bearer, Brigitte Foster-Hylton (13.08SB) and Delloreen Ennis-London (12.79 SB for Ostrava GP win), both disappointed finalists in Beijing, finishing out of the medals. Despite the well-lettered claim of the fastest Jamaican for 2009, Lacena Golding-Clarke at 12.89, history and plain statistics, if not the form chart gives an edge to the reigning Pan Am Champion, Ennis-London, but there again, never underestimate Mr. Francis. Vonette Dixon (12.92SB) could add to her habit of making World Champs teams, as Nickeisha Wilson, despite encouraging times, is not expected to contest the shorter hurdle event.
    Womens 400mH
    Ifs and buts abound but above it all, Olympic champion, Melaine Walker, injury doubts and all, must be the favorite, with a season best of 55.29, and looking better. MVP’s Kaliese Spencer (2009 best, 55.89) and Shevon Stoddart (2009 best, 56.19) are seeking a look in, but the heads on favourite to challenge Walker must be 2007 Osaka WC fourth placer, Nickeisha Wilson, whose best of 55.20 this year speaks volumes.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Bwoy for the love of the sports............one man against the whirl.........

Smith wins decathlon event

Published on: 25th June, 2009....4 views

Smith wins decathlon event | read this item

Related News
    • No Related Post

Kladno, Czech Republic – Jamaica’s World Championships silver, Maurice Smith, won the men’s Decathlon at the third edition of the TNT-Fortuna Combined Events meeting here on Wednesday.
    Smith upset Roman Sebrle, the reigning World champion and World record holder, after below par results in the Discus and Pole Vault (43.54m and 4.60m).
    Smith went into the lead after the hurdles and increased his margin over Sebrle, the inaugural winner of this competition, with an excellent 51.45m Discus effort.
    google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);
    Dmitriy Karpov of Kazakhstan, the World bronze medallist in 2007 also came back with a good Discus release of 50.79m and went past Sebrle in the overall standings.
    In the end, Smith took victor with 8157pts ahead of Sebrle (8058) and Karpov (8029).
    Olympic champion Natalya Dobrynska dominated the Heptathlon with final score of 6249 points.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Now this is what makes Bolt such a fan favourite over Asafa....a man throws does a challenge and Bolt seh him naw run from a bwoy......

Bolt plans to run hard at trials

Published on: 24th June, 2009....518 views

Bolt plans to run hard at trials | read this item

Related News

KINGSTON, Jamaica - World triple record holder Usain Bolt said he plans to use this weekend’s trials to run himself into shape and one of the ways to do so is to go out hard in the 200’s.
      Bolt is down to run the 100m and 200m races for a place on Jamaica’s team to the Berlin World Championships set for August 15-23.
      “I am trying to run myself into shape, so I think I will be running the 200m harder,” said Bolt, who ran 9.69 and 19.30 to win last summer’s Olympics in Beijing.
      “I will be putting a little more effort in it (200m), because I have not been running it all season”.
      Asked if his plan to run hard is to better Tyson Gay’s 19.58secs, or to go as fast as 19.3, Bolt laughed before saying, “No man, I don’t think I am in that shape, but I am working my way there”.
      “I had some ups and downs this year, so that is why I have to run myself into shape … hopefully by World Championships I will be ready,” he said.
      As for the 100m, Bolt said "With Asafa Powell, Yohan Blake, Marvin Anderson, Michael Fraser, Steve Mullings and others (competing), it’s going to be interesting because most of these guys are doing well”.
      Bolt ran 9.77secs in Ostrava, which was spoiled by a slight headwind; however, he believes the run was a statement.
      Asked if running 9.77 with a bad start is an indication that he can run low 9.6’s or 9.5’s this season, Bolt said: “The start was really very bad and I think I came back well, I also have a lot more to work on, so yes, I think its going to be very interesting this year.

Comment

Working...
      X