Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt management backlash starts...

The Editor, Sir:

Let me declare, I love Usain Bolt. I love what he represents, I love his energy and most of all I love the psychological impact of his stellar success on Jamaica, the international athletics community and the world. I have been so inspired that I have written two poems in tribute to Bolt.

However, I was quite disappointed on seeing his antics at the main press conference before the Ostrava Golden Spike event in the Czech Republic a few days ago.

C'mon Mr Bolt, clowning around, and upstaging the person who has the floor in the middle of a press conference 'nuh cut nuh dash'. It is disrespectful to the speaker, embarrassing and makes you seem like a media hog, which is not necessary when you are already a media darling.

Mr Bolt, I love your dancing, I love the youthful spirit which you embody, but sense of occasion and appropriate behaviour must obtain. Your handlers need to step in and guide you. As ol time Jamaican country people would say 'Tikya' (take care), for the same people who laugh and 'kikiki' and think the behaviour is cute will be the same ones who will eventually crucify you.

Usain, I know you have to 'do yuh ting' but remember a whole country is depending on you.

I am, etc.,

JOAN A. HUTCHINSON

joanahutchinson@yahoo.com

More...

Usain Bolt's annoying antics

Published: Monday | June 22, 2009

The Editor, Sir:
    I may have missed it, but I have not heard sufficient outcry by Jamaicans about Usain Bolt's antics at that Ostrava press conference. I was very heartened to read Joan Andrea Hutchinson's letter on Sunday giving some friendly advice.
    I was embarrassed just watching the few minutes of it on television. Can somebody whom this young man listens to (if there is such a person) please give him some coaching on how to carry himself as a superstar? We love Usain too much to have him behaving like a chimpanzee at media events, and worse when someone else is speaking. We really don't want to 'Cut the yute vibes' but help him. Duh!
    I am, etc.,
    DOUGLAS SIMPSON
    doug-simpson5@hotmail.com
    3 Laing Road Kingston 20

Comment

Working...
    X