Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Jamaican athletes ready for the World Championship Chall

Published on: 17th June, 2009....48 views

Are Jamaican athletes ready for the World Championship Challenge? | read this item

Related News

By Eron Samuels, TrackAlerts.com

These days everyone seems to be worried about the condition of our Jamaican athletes leading up to the 2009 World Championships based on the times that they have been running at meets in recent times. As you move about on the streets everyday any discussion about track and field would be that our athletes don’t look fit as yet compared to the athletes in the United States and other countries.
    With national trials being only a matter of weeks away, for some, it is a matter of great concern, but for individuals who are exposed to the technical aspect of track and field; this is nothing to worry about. Jamaican coaches have reached a level of maturity where they no longer see the need to rush athletes to run fast times early in the season, but to have them gradually come of their own and peak, and be at their best at major competitions.
    google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);
    In order to make the US track and field team, athletes must be at their best based on the level of competition being faced. It is much easier in Jamaica; yes I know there is stiff competition but at least top Jamaican athletes can cruise through the rounds and then the real heat begins at the semi-finals through to the finals, compared to the US where every round is like the finals of the Olympics.
    I am not saying that there is nothing to worry about but I think that we should have some faith in Jamaican coaches and wait to see the results. We don’t have to worry; the finals of the national trials will speak for itself; remember Jamaican athletes will be competing among the best in the world at our national trials; these individuals are our own.
    We just have to make sure that our Jamaican athletes get the support that is needed to once again become world champions.
    For any comments please email me at eronsamuels@gmail.com
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

I didn't want to start a new thread, this is article is very interesting, but not as much as the comments below:

Jeter out to prove herself

Published on: 18th June, 2009....787 views

Jeter out to prove herself | read this item

Related News

By Vijay
    USA - United States’ 2007 World Championships 100m Bronze medallist, Carmelita Jeter, says she is out to prove herself this season.
    Jeter, described 2008 as “a little disappointing”, especially after her successes in the World Championships the year before.
    "”It (2008 season) definitely made me come back hungry in 2009", she explained.
    "This is the year I want to come out and do what I was supposed to do last year," she warned whilst saying last season’s below par performance was because, "I did not put my training and mental together".
    "I feel like I have to prove myself all over again," added Jeter, the world’s second fastest woman this year with 10.96, (a lifetime best) but still behind Jamaican Kerron Stewart’s 10.92 and 10.93.
    In Osaka 2007, Jeter ran 11.03 to finish third behind Jamaican Veronica Campbell-Brown and United States’ Lauryn Williams.
    Jeter, who switched to John Smith’s camp last November said, "This is the kind of coach I needed and so far it’s showing in my running and in my technique".
    google_protectAndRun("ads_core.google_render_ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);
    "I knew I made the right decision from January in the indoor season," added the 2007 World Championships sprint relay gold medalist, who further noted it contributed significantly to her superior start.
    Jeter although having her eyes fixed on the World Championships this year in Berlin, admitted her first hurdle would be to get a spot on the USA’s team next week at the USA’s National trials.
    "The first aim is to make the team, and once I get there, line up and see what happens," she added.
    "The depth among US athletes is so strong; you have so much women running well, so you just have to make it out of trials. Once you make it, there is a great chance you are going to get a medal at Worlds, because we have some of the best competition in the USA," she explained.
    "Right now, I feel very good. I’m healthy and I have John Smith coaching me, fixing every little thing", she concluded.
    Carmelita has already ran 22.59 this season in the 200m.

Have your say, below, please leave us your comment/opinion about this article … Your feedback is very important in our effort to serve us better.

Readers Comments
    1. <LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-124> Samantha Richards says:
      June 18, 2009 at 10:48 am
      I question this woman’s motives….how is it that she won a bronze medal in the 2007 World Championship and then just fell of the face of the earth for 2008 and blames it on the fact that “I did not put my training and mental together”. To me, this means that either she was too sure of herself and didn’t take it seriously during 2008 because she did so well in 2007 or she was just not dedicated…so of course, she needs to prove herself all over again to the track fans because before reading this article I didn’t even know who she was! These athletes have too many excuses, if you’re a trackstar you need to focus all your energy on running and stop with all the bullshit….take accountability for your mistakes and try to do better the next time…being “absent” for a whole year is not acceptable! Let’s see how she does this year…good luck to her!

<LI class="comment odd alt thread-odd thread-alt depth-1" id=comment-126> D says:
      June 18, 2009 at 12:43 pm
      What are you talking about? She wasn’t absent she didn’t make the team. The fact that you didn’t know who she was tells me all about you not her. She won her medal and those that remember that 07 race would remember her as well as Veronica and Lauryn.
      And what excuses? She needed better coaching? Well she got it and she has been running better, so it looks like her excuse was dead on. She went from unknown to the fastest American out there right now and an undefeated season. You cut the bullshit and stop making up excuses for your own opinion.

<LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-127> Enigma says:
      June 18, 2009 at 12:44 pm
      Seeing Jeter perform at US trials shall be as entertaining as a circus. I can’t wait.

<LI class="comment odd alt thread-odd thread-alt depth-1" id=comment-129> DannyB says:
      June 18, 2009 at 1:12 pm
      Jeter is my pick to win the US trials. Although Lauryn Williams is a proven fighter, Jeter is on form and should take the title.
      As to who will finish third, lets wait ….

<LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-131> johnnyO says:
      June 18, 2009 at 2:12 pm
      Forget what Jeter did then. Its time to forgive and forget. Shes not your wife to cater to you, so dont worry where she went and what she did. The point is, is that Jeter is out for Gold in Berlin. Williams is too small and ugly to be considered a favorite, besides, she is the reason the USA team didnt advance to the finals, Williams is too small and forces taller athletes to lower themselves for a quick handoff.Shame…..well goodluck Jeter!
      PS Jeter is HOTT!!!!YA BABAY!!!

<LI class="comment odd alt thread-odd thread-alt depth-1" id=comment-135> Samantha Richards says:
      June 18, 2009 at 3:19 pm
      You guys are funny…appreciate all the comments because I love starting controversial arguments…let’s see what she does this year!!

<LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-137> torri says:
      June 18, 2009 at 5:45 pm
      I assure anything she is on , they will caught her before berlin, CARMELITA JETER IS ON …, I already send email to wada, the usa anti-doping agency and iaaf they gonna get her, plus i pray to god that she get caught

<LI class="comment odd alt thread-odd thread-alt depth-1" id=comment-143> C says:
      June 19, 2009 at 2:35 am
      Torri, you are dumb. No seriously. Your grammar stinks. Really? How do you know she is ON? LOL….what is your email to WADA or the IAAF going to do? They probably won’t even be able to understand it (because you are dumb). Carmelita gets random testings. They show up at her door and get blood and urine samples. They are on their job. They have taken so much blood from her that there have been times she could not finish her workout that day. Get a life and pray to God about this economy and to bless you with free grammatical instruction. Until then, don’t write anything in public!

<LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-144> I'm Just Saying says:
      June 19, 2009 at 7:39 am
      2009 Jeter compared to 2008 Jeter seems remarkably simular to 2003 White compared to 2002 White when looking at physique enhancement and performance improvement. Everyone knows how the White situation ended. Things that make you go hmmm.

<LI class="comment byuser comment-author-admin bypostauthor odd alt thread-odd thread-alt depth-1 microid-mailto+http:sha1:c7fb02506debe5417d002ccc73ef3065b 1a9593c" id=comment-145> admin says:
      June 19, 2009 at 8:27 am
      torri please be careful of the comments you leave here. We are intolerant to drug accusations and would go ahead to delete such postings. Please feel free to leave your comments but keep it clean and above board.

<LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-146> D says:
      June 19, 2009 at 11:45 am
      Torri you should be ashamed to hijack that young ladies name and is Carmelitas training partner.
      You have been banned from various message boards for your foolishness and now you are here doing the same thing. Admin this person has been posting this nonsense all over the web so just be aware.
      However, Carmelita would like to thank you for your accusations and emails to Wada because they have tested her more than any other athlete this month. Blood and urine and every meet. So you can rest assured she is clean and not stress anymore. I understand you are just a concerned fan.

2. S. Ledette says:
      June 19, 2009 at 12:04 pm
      The bulk of my post would be aimed at the admin. I am very sensitive to your need to keep your column from being an attack site, however, I would also caution “you” that our sport has suffered from not just the cheaters who have robbed the integrity from our game, but from those well-intended souls who have been intimidated from seeking out the truth. And though it’s not your aim to be an investigative piece, let’s not place an over-abundant burden on those of your readers who want to stay vigilant in the fight to keep the sport as clean as you want these comments to be. To be sure, the posts need to be mindful of not being defaming or unnecessarily offensive (the comment on the looks of Lauren Williams is as childish as it is irrelevant), but let’s face it, much positive has come from provocative discourse, remember Watergate or Monica Lewinsky?
      As far as Carmelita Jeter is concerned,as an observer from the team she was on when she made her breakthrough in 2007, here are some truths…the bio posted of her on the USATF website is incomplete, distorted, and purposefully misleading…why? All I know is that the coach who first taught her the “Drive-Phase” style of sprinting is not listed in that bio. The coach who taught her those techniques is famous for his first-day admonition to all of the athletes that if they are even suspected of taking PADs, said athlete would be summarily dismmised from the team, and that should there be any collected evidence, it would be turned over to authorities by the coach personally. I know that this particular coach has never had a single athlete test positive in his program, unlike the background of her current coach. I know that she was summarily dismissed from that team. On the other hand, she did NOT have a poor 2008, she simply had one bad race, the semifinal heat at the Trials. One cannot, by definition, have a bad year in which one has a personal best as she did, having broken 11 seconds for the first time.
      It is very unfortunate that such a cloud is following this athlete. One only needs to read these posts to know that she is bringing drama. But, it is not going to serve the sport to hide from the suspicion. If there’s nothing there, then that innocence will be brought to light. But, if she isn’t, then let’s not repeat the path that we, as a sport followed with Marion Jones and Kelli White, about whom many of the same questions were abound, but went un-pursued because we didn’t want to “offend” the offenders.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Williams to help US regain sprint crown

Published on: 16th June, 2009....847 views

Williams to help US regain sprint crown

(From L) USA's Carmelita Jeter, Jamaica's Veronica Campbell, USA's Torri Edwards, France's Christine Arron and USA's Lauryn Williams cross the finish line during the women's 100m final, 27 August 2007, at the 11th IAAF World Athletics Championships, in Osaka. Jamaica's Veronica Campbell won ahead of USA's Lauryn Williams and USA's Carmelita Jeter. | read this item

Related News

By David Jones, TrackAlerts.com
      Arkansas – United States’ 2005 Helsinki World 100m champion, Lauryn Williams, says she is looking forward to being a part of her country’s initiative to regain their sprint dominance over Jamaica.
      At last year’s Olympic Games in Beijing, China, Jamaica led by Usain Bolt’s stunning world record runs of 9.69 and 19.30 in the 100 and 200 metres respectively, rocked the sprint world.
      “The media made a big deal of the US vs Jamaica rivalry … yes right now Jamaica is doing well in the sprints, but I am looking to be one of the people that takes back the crown for the US,” Williams said.
      Apart from Bolt’s breathtaking runs, Shelly-Ann Fraser led home a Jamaica 1-2-2 in the women’s 100m while Veronica Campbell-Brown and Kerron Stewart were first and third in the 200m. Jamaica also won the men’s sprint relay in a world record time, 37.10 secs, along with gold in the 400m hurdles by Melaine Walker and Shericka Williams, who finished second ahead of USA’s top quarter-miler Sanya Richards in the one lap event, demonstrated Jamaica’s sprint dominance.
      Williams said although they are rivals on the track, on the sidelines, she maintains good relationships with her Jamaican counterparts, especially back-to-back Olympic Games 200m champion Campbell-Brown, the biggest of them.
      Williams beat Campbell-Brown to take the Helsinki title, but the latter turned the tables at the Osaka’s World Championships in 2007. Both are awaiting a similar battle in Berlin this summer, but unlike Campbell-Brown, who has a wildcard entry for the event, Williams will have to quality at the US Trials, June 25-28.

Have your say, below, please leave us your comment/opinion about this article … Your feedback is very important in our effort to serve us better.

Readers Comments
      1. <LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-104> Angie says:
        June 16, 2009 at 10:18 pm
        This site got me pumping. I am so excited to watch World Championship. I cant wait to see the powerful Jamaicans in action again in Berlin…especially the world fastest man.

<LI class="comment odd alt thread-odd thread-alt depth-1" id=comment-106> Mike Bailey says:
        June 17, 2009 at 9:26 am
        I think Lauryn has a point. I say this because so far this year, Jamaica has not done anything to prove that we are the same as last summer.
        Time maybe running out on us, but I only hope that by Berlin comes around, things will be in place.
        Take MVP for example, I heard that only Shericka Williams, the Olympic 400m silver medallist, is fit….Asafa, Shelly, Nesta, Michael, Brigitte, Melaine and Mason … what happen to these people, we are not hearing much, some have not compete in weeks.
        But, as people always say, trust in Stephen Francis and things will be okay, but I will have to see him get these people ready in time, first for the trails, which is less than two weeks away.
        Good luck guys, but apart from Bolt, we may don’t secure a win in Berlin.

<LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-107> Mark Schwartz says:
        June 17, 2009 at 1:57 pm
        Lauryn/Rochester,PA/ has found out that her best event now is the 200m not the 100m if she continues to run it the way she has lately by going all out from the blocks to and through the turn to the straight away,centripical force,she who decelerates the least will WIN!
        From Pittsburgh,PA IN SouthWestern PA where she grew up.

<LI class="comment odd alt thread-odd thread-alt depth-1" id=comment-108> Arthur says:
        June 17, 2009 at 3:56 pm
        I understand how Laurin feels, but dominating Jamaica in the sprints is easier said than done. Although Shelly-Ann Fraser for example might not be 100% at the moment, the trials next week will demonstrate the she is well on her way to full fitness, and by mid August will be ready and rearing to go. The same is true of majority of the Jamaican team who will also use the rounds in Berlin to as training to run themselves into form. So watch out United States…”Chicken merry, Hawk deh near”!

<LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-109> Tamara_Baby says:
        June 17, 2009 at 5:37 pm
        To Mike Bailey above, no offense, but it seems like you’re a fairweather track fan. Anyone who has watched track over the years, shouldn’t be surprised about the performances of the Jamaican athletes so far this year. Aside from Usain Bolt, who, at this time of year, was running as well at this time of the year as they did at the Olympics. We didn’t even know of Shelly frazer. Asafa has been running poorly this year i have to admit, but that is due to injuries. Veronica is near where she needs to be in her preparation, and Kerron has had a few good races. Everyone is pretty much where they were at last year, and the US sprinters are doing what they usually do. The scene is being set for another good track season and I just hope my countrymen can put it together and have that chemistry that they seemed to have found in Beijing. As far as the US being dominant again, I will say that’s not gonna happen. They may eventually get back a lead due to them outnumbering us in athletes, but as far as dominace goes, NAH… Jamaica has closed that gap that had eluded us many years, due to many different factors…Our training programs have gotten better and our resources have evolved. We are now starting to replicate the talent and I look forward to bigger things to come. As the saying goes, “we likkle but we talawah”

<LI class="comment odd alt thread-odd thread-alt depth-1" id=comment-113> Albert Cruz says:
        June 18, 2009 at 8:06 am
        We cannot deny the fact that Jamaica has world class sprinters, and that is awesome to our sport, however just because Jamaica did great at the Olimpics in terms of medals does not mean that the USA is shut down. If you look at the statistics over the years, the USA is always there. I’m pretty sure that someone will come along. Just look at the NCAA results, there is a lot of talent out there making news so watch out world, here comes the USA again!!!

<LI class="comment even thread-even depth-1" id=comment-114> Beevis says:
        June 18, 2009 at 8:13 am
        wow enough said, but i will take a shot at it for the heck of it. Love Shelli-ann to death, but aside from the injuries, I do realize that she had the greatest season of her life in Beijing, true we have seen her on the college scene a bit, and true she did prove herself worthy by making the olympic and winning gold, but the question still hangs that no one wants to ask, Is shelly-ann Fraiser an olympic(big meet) athlete and nothing else????. Lets see where that goes as far as discussions are concerned. As for the other athletes some missing, I do believe they are where they need to be physically, EVEN Asafa, now Mentally I am not so sure. take a look at the reebok race, Asafa “won” that race with a easy second place proving that he is fit, lets see where the mental takes him. VC is timingly getting to where she was at last year, now we see she is only gonna concentrate on one event for trials(where is Omar?). for the us Tyson Gay, Never to be ignored, has ran 45 400m this season and 19.5 sure points for the USA. Lauren Williams is a world beater and determine, dont ignore either. American ladies running some good 100m, some seem a bit early but might surprisingly hold out for the season. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE, the competion between athletes. I am Jamaican but I Rather watch a race to the wire with everyone up there, than Watch a race with a 10 meter lead(respect to Bolt lol). I say Bring it USA, I say Defend it Jamaica

2. jiggafras says:
        June 18, 2009 at 8:36 am
        I don’t see why everyone is getting so anxious that the athletes are not running that well early on. Im an athlete and i was saying the same thing after the olympics, all the celebrations and commitments they have to go through hinders their preparations. Even the US athletes who performed well are not running that well either. Camileta Jeter was not in any individual races in Berlin and she is running the best. Gay didn’t run well nor did he run alot so he is fresh too and was away from the stress of doing endorsements. But check out the rest of the athletes who ran, Muna Lee, Lauryn Williams, Marshevette Hooker, Shawn Crawford, they are all running on par or below what the Jamaicans are running. It will be tight again but its nothing to catch a fit about. Oh and tell Sanya Richards we seen her act before and she is almost on par with Asafa. I will put money on it Oroguohu runs her down again.

Comment

Jamaican men’s 400m corps in limbo

Published on: 19th June, 2009....28 views

Shericka Williams | read this item

Related News
        • No Related Post

By Collie Brown, TrackAlerts.com
        VIRGINIA, USA - Despite dominating the sprints at last year’s Bejing Games, what was glaringly missing was Jamaica’s presence in the men’s 400 meters. Although the women appear safe with Shericka Williams, Novlene William-Mills and Rosemarie White, the men’s dominance in the Caribbean and providing serious competition to the dominating USA seems to have been relinquished to the Bahamians.
        The list of Herb McKinley, George Rhoden, and Bertland Cameron and in recent years, Gregory Haughton, Danny McFarland and Davian Clarke seems to be giving way to a new crop of youngsters like Allodin Fothergill, Dwight Mullings, and Leford Green. Indeed, next week’s National Trials should be a good gauge of how the country’s quartermilers will acquit themselves in Berlin.
        Last weekend at the USA Collegiate Championships saw Fothergill running a PR of 45.44 in the semi-finals on his way to a 6th place finish in the finals with 45.81. Mullings, running for Mississippi State University also ran well in the finals with 45.48 finishing just ahead of Fothergill. He has run a PR 44.98 earlier in the season. Fothergill, the former Eltham High School standout has the 2nd fastest time in Jamaica to date has stated his intention to score an upset at the trials.
        He has been under the tutelage of Earnest Barrett at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore. Barrett, himself a former standout at Clarendon College and George Mason University thinks that Fothergill is ready to assume the mantle as one of Jamaica’s premier quartermilers notwithstanding Usain Bolt’s undeclared intentions with the 400 meters in the future.
        “Allodin is an extremely talented young man who if he keeps focus in the next few weeks should realize his dream of competing individually for Jamaica and should do well at World Champs.” Barrett further states that “the experience he gained running the rounds at NCAA championships should prepare him well for the Jamaican trials.”
        Old timers like Michael Blackwood, Sanjay Ayre and Ricardo Chambers will want to remind the youngsters that they are not ready for retirement and will be seeking the top three spots for Berlin.
        Reports are that Dwight Mullings might not be competing due to passport problems. His absence should still provide enough intrigue with Fothergill, Blackwood, Green, and Chambers battling for the chance at an individual championship.
        Analysts and pundits will be looking at the times to determine if Jamaica will be competitive in the event come Berlin.

Comment

Thanks For Posting These!

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          Despite dominating the sprints at last year’s Bejing Games, what was glaringly missing was Jamaica’s presence in the men’s 400 meters. Although the women appear safe with Shericka Williams, Novlene William-Mills and Rosemarie White, the men’s dominance in the Caribbean and providing serious competition to the dominating USA seems to have been relinquished to the Bahamians.
          The Bahamian men have been making a statement since the 2001 IAAF World Championships in Edmonton when their anchor man outperformed Danny McFarlane. But even before that, the signs were there, as can be seen by Christopher Brown’s effort on the anchor leg of the Bahamas’ 4x400-meter relay at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, a commendable effort which failed only because of poor strategy caused by his inexperience at that time.

Since then, they have basically had our ticket (despite their disastrous performance in 2004 in Athens).

Originally posted by Jangle
          The list of Herb McKinley, George Rhoden, and Bertland Cameron and in recent years, Gregory Haughton, Danny McFarland and Davian Clarke seems to be giving way to a new crop of youngsters like Allodin Fothergill, Dwight Mullings, and Leford Green. Indeed, next week’s National Trials should be a good gauge of how the country’s quartermilers will acquit themselves in Berlin.
          It’s should be a crime to compare these younger, unimpressive set to the legendary stalwarts Herb, George, Bert, Gregory, Danny (McFarlane), and Davian!

“Allodin is an extremely talented young man who if he keeps focus in the next few weeks should realize his dream of competing individually for Jamaica and should do well at World Champs.” Barrett further states that “the experience he gained running the rounds at NCAA championships should prepare him well for the Jamaican trials.”
          Weren’t they saying very similar things about Ricardo Chambers prior to Beijing last year????

Old timers like Michael Blackwood, Sanjay Ayre and Ricardo Chambers will want to remind the youngsters that they are not ready for retirement and will be seeking the top three spots for Berlin.
          Not ready for retirement?! Damn! Michael Blackwood should have retired immediately after the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, England!! Even if that cock-up was overlooked, he should definitely have been made to retire after the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens (or for the diehard fans, his cock-up in the 2003 IAAF World Championships in Paris where he gave away a splendid lead to Jerome Young and to that French anchor)!! Fyah for Blackwood!

If I give my views about Sanjay (does anyone know which Sanjay will turn up at any time on the track?) I will surely be cursed off this forum, so I’ll keep my angry views to myself!

One thing is for sure, I will never forgive our men’s 4x400-meter relay team for ensuring, as they so eloquently did last year in Beijing, that the last glimpse the world had of Jamaica in action was our anchorman limping home dead last!!

Comment

Working...
          X