• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campbell-Brown out…

Published on: 17th June, 2009....470 views

Campbell-Brown out... | read this item

Related News

KINGSTON, Jamaica - Veronica Campbell-Brown the reigning World 100m champion, has decided not to compete in the women’s 100m dash at next week’s National Championships.
    "Veronica has only entered in the 200m for the trials," a ‘Jamaica Amateur Athletic Association’ (JAAA) official told TrackAlerts on Wednesday.
    The JAAA deadline date for entries closed on Monday with the National Championships set for June 26-28.
    window.google_render_ad();
    Claude Bryan - Campbell-Brown’s manager, earlier this week said they had not yet reached a decision regarding the athlete’s participation in the short sprint.
    Campbell-Brown, back-to-back Olympic Games 200m champion, had recently recovered from a toe injury, which kept her out of training for five weeks.
    "No decision as yet on the double. However, the injury setback and the 100m wildcard will be heavily factored in our decision," Bryan said on Monday.
    Campbell-Brown like all reigning World champions, receives a bye for the event she is defending in Berlin.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

yow...next a woulda please beg yuh fi consider the subject heading!! what yuh woulda tell mi widow an' pickeny dem ef mi read di heading and drap dung?!! eh?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

dat yuh was a good man, and dat yuh did luv dem, but yuh did luv veronica more!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

YUH BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH mO.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

and merlene...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

But....

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
            KINGSTON, Jamaica - Veronica Campbell-Brown the reigning World 100m champion, has decided not to compete in the women’s 100m dash at next week’s National Championships.
            "Veronica has only entered in the 200m for the trials," a ‘Jamaica Amateur Athletic Association’ (JAAA) official told TrackAlerts on Wednesday.
            The JAAA deadline date for entries closed on Monday with the National Championships set for June 26-28.
            But Veronica’s name surely doesn’t have to be submitted for Jamaica’s national trials!! As defending 100-meter champion, she has an automatic spot in this event at the IAAF World Championships competition.

Comment

If she does not compete in the trials for 100M, I do not believe Jamaica will send her to this event in Berlin, and it would not be fair to the other athletes. Jamaica is deep enough at 100M for women and we should run 1-2-3 again.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

World Champs works different in that regard. As the defending champ she does not count against the 3 spots that we get so she would not be taking anyones place.

So it is actually possible for us to have four women in the 100m finals.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Try 1-2-2-3!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

wassy!!!

1/2/2/2 and den di 4x1 ..... ?

Comment

You Will Be Disappointed!

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                      If she does not compete in the trials for 100M, I do not believe Jamaica will send her to this event in Berlin, and it would not be fair to the other athletes. Jamaica is deep enough at 100M for women and we should run 1-2-3 again.
                      I suggest you archive this reply of mine here, because I’m making a public bet right here and now that Jamaica will NOT run 1-2-3 in the women’s 100-meter dash in Berlin! There is no logical reason whatsoever, up this minute, for one to make such a prediction for Jamaica or for any other country!! It is not going to happen, and I intend to revisit this discussion immediately after the 100-meter event in Berlin in August!

In fact, no country is going to end up in that enviable position in either the women or the men’s 100-meter race this year! Last year’s result in Beijing was unprecedented, as no country in the history of the Olympic Games has ever ended up 1-2-3 in the 100-meter race (neither men nor women)! There were also other mitigating factors, as I tried to show in another thread (for example, study your tape of the event and watch carefully the start that Sherone Simpson got, then follow her through that race).

Let’s hope that we can get a gold medal in the women’s 100-meter dash! The results at the Jamaica trials and the USA trials in a few days will give us a somewhat better picture as far as the competition between both countries is concerned.

Originally posted by Islandman
                      World Champs works different in that regard. As the defending champ she does not count against the 3 spots that we get so she would not be taking anyones place.

So it is actually possible for us to have four women in the 100m finals.
                      That’s certainly correct.

Of course, I have no proof of this, but I strongly suspect that Veronica deliberately chose not to take part in the JAAA’s nationals. She does not have to participate, as being the defending champion she has an automatic slot in the 100-meter dash in Berlin (as you correctly pointed out). It was a similar situation which enabled the USA men to end up 1-2-3-4 in the 200-meter race in 2005 (Helsinki) and the Ethiopian ladies, led by the great Tirunesh Dibaba, to do the same in the 10,000 meter race.

With Veronica not running in the trials, that provides an opportunity for three other ladies to qualify and so enable us to have four women in the 100-meter dash. I strongly suspect that this is Vernoica’s strategy, and if so it is a very sensible and logical one.

Comment

It may or may not happen, and whether it happens or not will not be a disappointment in any way. It is expected Ja will win gold in both events for men & women.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

So negative!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well, let's see....

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                            It may or may not happen, and whether it happens or not will not be a disappointment in any way. It is expected Ja will win gold in both events for men & women.
                            I’m not sure why you think it will even happen! Usain Bolt aside, what is there in the performance of our athletes this year, compared with others, that makes you feel this way?

It is expected that Jamaica will win gold in the men’s 100-meter dash!! No rational person on this planet will even think of arguing about that!

But what makes you think the same for the women? I’m curious to know your answer to this one, as I would not make such a claim until after the respective national championships of both sprint powers. Not that national qualifiers will necessarily predict the outcome! In fact, we only have to look at the USA trials in the women’s 100-meter dash last year where the winner ran 10.78 seconds and compare this with her result in the finals in Beijing (coincidentally, Shelly-Ann ran a similar 10.78 seconds in the finals in Beijing just as Torri Edwards did at the USA nationals!).

Originally posted by Mosiah
                            So negative!
                            I agree that I sound negative, and I apologize for this. However, given a choice between, on the one hand, stepping back and taking a completely objective (as in neutral, balanced) look at things and, on the other, letting patriotism and national pride dictate my views, I will choose the former all the time!

Comment

3 other ladies were going to qualify ANYWAY!

VC running or not changes NOTHING. I dont think that like the US, Jamaica forces their WC Champs to run at least 1 round at trials, so all she is doing is trying to qualify forr the 200m as she as champ is guaranteed a 100m slot.

Comment

Working...
                              X