• Show
Clear All

• Dexter Lee goes pro

Lee goes pro

• Junior track star signs with Reebok;
    • Curtails high school career

BY PAUL A REID Observer writer
    reidp@jamaicaobserver.com

Reebok Grand Prix meeting held at the Icahn Stadium.
    Lee, who won the Class One 100m event at Boys’ Champs in early April, has signed a long-term agreement with Reebok and has therefore given up the
    right to defend that title, but said he has no regrets about his decision.
    “No, I have no regrets about giving up high school track and field and a chance to repeat as Class One 100m champion,” he told the Observer.

Lee, who also won the 100m in Classes Two and Three, as well as at the Under-17 level at CARIFTA Games, says he is ready to move on. “I am definitely

MANHATTAN, New York — Double IAAF world 100m champion Dexter Lee of Herbert Morrison Technical has done what some deemed inevitable, embracing a contractual relationship with Reebok, which will see him as one of the future standardbearers for the brand.
    Surrounded by Claude Bryan, the CEO of On Track Management, who will be his agent; Juanita Bryan, also of On Track Management; his long-time high school coach, Claude Grant; and Todd Klein, Director of Global Athletics & Federations at Reebok, who the young athlete will sign with, Lee made the announcement in an exclusive interview with the Observer on Sunday at the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers in Manhattan.
    All five were in the US city for the ready to move on. It would be nice to win (at Champs) again, but this is a bigger opportunity, so I just have to go forward and take it.”
    Lee, who joins the likes of triple Olympic champion and double world record holder Usain Bolt and National Junior record holder in the 100m, Yohan Blake, to go professional right out of high school, will not forego further schooling, however, as he says he will enrol in school in the USA in September and will pursue a business degree.
    While not going into specifics about the dollar value of the contract, Bryan said it would reflect his status as a twotime world champion and would include college tuition as well as accommodation, among other perks.
    Bryan, who is also the agent for twotime Olympic Games 200m champion and IAAF World Championships 100m champion Veronica Campbell Brown, said that Lee would not sever ties with coach Grant anytime soon.
    Grant will continue to prepare Lee for the National Junior Trials to be held at the GC Foster College June 13-14, said Bryan, after which Lee will commence “his transition” to the United States.
    Bryan did not say who would be primarily responsible for coaching Lee while he is in the United States, saying an announcement would be made soon, but that Grant will play a major role.
    As for his big step forward, Lee is under no illusion as to what to expect. “I think I know what is out there and I just want to stay focused and do my best,” Lee said.
    Going up against the top professionals in the world, he said, will require him to step up his game several more notches. “Yes, I know that the work gets much harder now and the training is much more intense, but I just have to go out there and do my best,” he insisted.
    (See part two of this story in tomorrow’s Observer)

Double IAAF world 100m champion Dexter Lee (centre) poses with (from left) Todd Klein, Director of Global Athletics & Federations at Reebok; high school coach Claude Grant, On Track Management’s Juanita Bryan; and its CEO Claude Bryan after announcing his deal with Reebok on Sunday at the Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers in Manhattan. (Photo: Paul Reid)
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Not a bad move. With Web based classes he should be able to run, train and do his degree.

I wish him all the best.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I hope he has a good contract with Reebok.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Nice opportunity Dexter. Just make sure you place your emphasis on EDUCATION - that is something, no-one can ever take away from you!!

Go to classes, surround yourself with high achievers. Do yourself proud, your family, coach and your supporters, and be respectful of those, who made the opportunites possible.

Walk good
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Lawks! She just a push up pon di man hand, eh!

heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Good luck to him! Since he will be going to school in the USA, training will tek place there as well.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yuh seeeeeit?

Comment

No, he must seek BALANCE.

His prime gift is track and he should complement that with Education. Education alone is no guarantee, but Track can open doors and leverage that education.

Comment

Well said, Willi! My intended response to MdmeX would not have been so...so...well said!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Stop it, Juanita is a very sweet woman and my friend's wife. I think she is southern but I am not sure but she is so nice and docile.
                    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

I would agree she is sweet, nice and docile!

Cho man! Lilly joke wi a mek wid Juanita!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X