RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointing show by J'cans at Reebok Grand Prix.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing show by J'cans at Reebok Grand Prix.

J'cans finish down track at Reebok GP
    ... Sinclair 2nd, VC 3rd, Powell 7th in New York
    BY PAUL A REID Observer writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, May 31, 2009
    RANDALL'S ISLAND, New York - It was a disappointing day for Jamaica's seniors at yesterday's 5th Reebok Grand Prix at Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island, as they failed to win any of the major races.
    Despite an almost capacity pro-Jamaican crowd, the locals failed to shine, with the best finish being Kenia Sinclair's second in the women's 800m.
    RANDALL'S ISLAND, New York - Jamaica's Kenia Sinclair (right) in a home stretch duel with American Anna Willard during the women's 800m race at the 5th Reebok Grand Prix at the Icahn Stadium yesterday. Sinclair finished second in a season best 1:59.66. (Photo: Paul Reid)
    Pre-race favourite Asafa Powel was a disappointing seventh in the 100m, while three-time champion Veronica Campbell Brown was third in the women's race.
    The meet, which saw six world-leading performances, was highlighted by a scintillating 19.58secs-run by American Tyson Gay who destroyed a quality field in the 200m.
    This was the third fastest time ever behind Usain Bolt's world record 19.30secs and Michael Johnson's 19.32 set in 1996 at the Atlanta Olympics.
    Gay, who was second in Bolt's 100m world record run over 100m here last year, got a bullet start and by the time they got to the curve was well ahead of the field and kept running through the tape.
    Wallace Spearmon, who has won here for the past three years, was second in 19.98, while Xavier carter was third in 20.27.
    Sinclair was well placed to win the two-lap event after being taken through the first 400m by pace-setter Sophia Smellie in 57.42 seconds and led until the last 100m befoe being overhauled by American steeplechaser Anna Willard.
    Sinclair ran a season best 1:59.66 but lost to a world-leading 1:59.29.
    She told Sunday Observer she ran "the third 200m too hard" and paid for it.
    Steve Mullings was the best placed Jamaican in the Men's 100m 'A' race, placing third in a wind aided 9.98secs (3.1 m/s) behind Americans Mike Rodgers (9.93) and Travis Padgett (9.96).
    Mullings was later carried off the track with cramps, but was later seen walking unassisted.
    The MVP trio of Powell, Michael Frater and Nesta Carter were a disappointing seventh, eighth and ninth.
    Powell, who ran 10.10secs, later told reporters his injured ankle was still a problem. "It's not painful but still weak and I couldn't accelerate off it at all," he said.
    The powerful former world record holder, who will run at the Prefontaine Classic in Eugene, Oregon, next weekend, said he is still hopeful he will get back to full fitness and is taking it a race at a time.
    Jamaica's only win came in the Men's 100m B race where Yohan Blake shook off a false start to win in 10.20, while Winston Barnes was eighth in 10.37.
    While failing to improve on his PR 10.07 set earlier this month, Blake was pleased with the run: "It was all right, I hoped to run faster but I will take this one."
    Campbell Brown was beaten in the women's 100 for the .first time in four years at the meet, finishing third behind the American pair of Carmelita Jeter (10.85), wind 2.8 m/) and Muna Lee (10.88).
    Sherri-Anne Brooks was ninth in 11.18 seconds.
    Campbell Brown, who was competing in her second meet of the season, said she was not upset by the result, however.
    "No, I'm not disappointed, just very happy to be able to get some races in and to be healthy again," she said.
    The two-time Olympic 200m champ said she was still undecided about running the sprint double at the National Trials in a month's time.
    "I've still not decided what I will do there," she said adding, "I have the luxury (as the defending World champion) of skipping the 100m, but we're still to decide..."
    Aileen Bailey was third in the 'B' race in 11.07secs as Shalonda Solomon won in 11.04. Schillonie Calvert was sixth in 11.21.
    Olympic silver medallist Sherika Williams was second in the 400m behind Allyson Felix of the US, who ran a world-leading 50.50secs.
    Williams' 50.58 makes her the fastest Jamaican this season, while Novelene Williams-Mills (51.11) was third, Shereefa Lloyd (51.18) fifth and Nadia Cunningham (53.85) eighth.
    Ricardo Chambers was seventh in the men's event in 46.02 as Trinidadian Rennie Quow took second in 44.89 behind winner LaShawn Merrit (44.75) - the fourth fastest time in the world this year.
    Nickeisha Wilson, who said she had an ankle problem, was second in the 400m hurdles in 55.28, ahead Olympic champion Melaine Walker (55.29). Keliese Spencer was fifth in 55.92.
    Shevon Stoddart was second in the first of two races and eighth overall with 56.19.
    Walker told the Sunday Observer she "was ready to run but felt lazy and just did not get into the race at all".
    Frater clocked 10.15 and Carter 10.16.

Re: Disappointing show by J'cans

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
    It was a disappointing day for Jamaica's seniors at yesterday's 5th Reebok Grand Prix at Icahn Stadium on Randall's Island, as they failed to win any of the major races. Despite an almost capacity pro-Jamaican crowd, the locals failed to shine, with the best finish being Kenia Sinclair's second in the women's 800m.
    Many of us Jamaicans, in our glorious naïveté, started claiming everlasting superiority over the Americans immediately after Beijing. Certainly Jamaica’s performance in the sprints was superbly fantastic, and the type of performance that ballads would be written about in bygone days.

Looking first at yesterday’s meet, I honestly am not worried about the stalwart Veronica Campbell’s performance. Veronica is returning after a layoff, and this was her first race in a while. She’ll be back by August. Ethiopia’s amazing young athlete Tirunesh Dibaba, too, was returning from injury yesterday, and you see what happened in her race? I’ve been watching Tirunesh closely since the IAAF World Junior Championship in Kingston back in 2002 (when I first became aware of both her and Meseret Defar), and nobody has ever beaten Tirunesh like that! Nobody!

Give Veronica time, she’ll be back, I believe, and so will Lauryn Williams. I also expect much better things from Aleen Bailey and Simone Facey by Berlin.

Nevertheless, as I tried to point out in a post I made on this forum several months ago, any “USA versus Jamaica” track and field meet, as proposed by USATF, would not necessarily go Jamaica’s way! In fact, I firmly believe that it would not, and not only because there would most likely be no “shift in the blocks” this time by Torri Edwards in the 100-meter dash for women! There are other factors which we conveniently ignore, including the facts that we have no 400-meter male to talk about, and that the USA has superior 100 and 110-meter hurdlers. In Beijing, there were no USA sprint relay teams in the finals. (To be fair to Melaine Walker, though, her personal best 52.64 which she ran last year in Beijing stacks up well beside an athlete like the USA’s Lashinda Demus whose personal best, set several years ago, is 53.02.)

In events like the long jump, while our marvelous Chelsea Hammond performed very well for her fourth place finish in Beijing (6.79 meters in Beijing), the USA is stacked more than we are. And I could go on and on.

My cautionary post months ago was met with typical small-island derision from one or two posters here, with one in particular pointing out to me that “we nu ‘fraid a no one” (or words to that effect). I have no problem with confidence or arrogance, but this needs to be tempered with realism and commonsense!

And no, this is not an alarmist post coming from me. It’s just a reminder that we ignore the USA (the third most populated country on the planet and the country with the most impressive feeder college track and field program in the world) to our possible detriment. Never let overconfidence replace realism and commonsense!

Comment

I think you are out of your depths here and I also detect some bias towards the Amewricans but if there is, you are enitled to it.

I am sure you understand that people dont just get up and run because some one just pulls some dates out of a hat, the USTFA was silly to come well into the seaosn when people had already tied up dates etc and ask for this dual meet...and especially in a World Championships year at that.

The JAAA was wise in telling them wait till next year when the athletes can properly plan for it.

Also VCB ran two races last weekend in Florida so Saturday was not her first run for the season.

And if there was no flinch at the start or of they had called back the athletes, I doubt any Americans wold still be in the top three but I think the order would have been different.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Early days yet, this medet is unimportant in the big scheme of things, what is important is VC running a competitive race even though she finished poorly, she stumbled in the last 15-20 and still did 9.91, Aleen Bailey looking wicked in 11.07, not realizing that the outer lanes were right on her. Mullings ran 9.98, fifth JaKan in the past two years to run under 10 that is extremely impressive, Sinclair looking good, we know what Powell, Frater and Carter can do, it is early days yet, nuff compe in the 100. TRhe womens 400 looks good, three girls count them ynder 51.2 at this point in the season, a little better finishing by Williams wins that race over the incredibly "licios" Felix. 400 hurdles lookig good we know what Ms Walker can do when she put her mind to it and three girls running in the low 55's, that is pretty competitive at this point.

No injuries and nuff training to come, win in Germany!! All else is just fodder no one remembers two days after.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          [FONT=Verdana]And no, this is not an alarmist post coming from me.
          YES IT IS !

Straight from the HORSES' mouth !
          Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Its a know fact that at this point in time we have no male 400m runner that is news worthy. We have no 110 and 100 m hurdlers that are on top their game. We have no long jumpers..etc...all true

The Yanks are upset that we kicked thier b_utt in the 100m , 200m and sprint relays. Jamaica took the sprint crown that they owned for years away from them. This proposed meet is a way for them to try to gain some form of respect back. So, the other events that you mention really dont matter.
            Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Its too early to draw conclusions. Its early in the season, it is a small meet with low pay.

I agree that the USA versus Jamaica track meet will necessarily go Jamaica’s way but its not simply as that as you put it. My concern is money, we will not put out 100% unless its a big pay day.

If Torri Edwards did not shift in the block then perhaps Shelly Ann Fraser, Kerron Stewart & Tori Edwards would have been fighting it out at the finish line. There are many who believe that Kerron would have beaten Fraser because 'Kerron is better that Fraser' and was finishing like a run away train. However we must show respect for Faser's 10.78 time. Torri Edwars best time is 10.78 and Kerron has never done better than 10.80.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Well, Let's See....

Originally posted by Twan View Post
                The Yanks are upset that we kicked thier b_utt in the 100m , 200m and sprint relays. Jamaica took the sprint crown that they owned for years away from them. This proposed meet is a way for them to try to gain some form of respect back. So, the other events that you mention really dont matter.
                Twan, we did not kick the Yanks’ in their b_utt in any of the sprint relay events for the simple fact that the Americans did not reach the finals of any sprint relay! This failure had nothing to do with Jamaica. In addition, we did not kick anyone’s “b_utt” in the women’s 4x100-meter relay, as we did not complete that event (an eerily similar situation to that of the USA at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games).

In any case, even if the USA women’s 4x100-meter relay team had reached the finals, they long ago lost their stranglehold on this event, as can be seen from the following results:
                1999 IAAF World Championships: Bahamas gold (USA fourth)
                2000 Olympic Games: Bahamas gold (USA bronze)
                2003 IAAF World Championships: France gold (USA silver)
                2004 Olympic Games: Jamaica gold (USA DNF)

But I fully share your view that the Americans are upset that we won the 100 and 200 meters events.

Originally posted by Time
                If Torri Edwards did not shift in the block then perhaps Shelly Ann Fraser, Kerron Stewart & Tori Edwards would have been fighting it out at the finish line. There are many who believe that Kerron would have beaten Fraser because 'Kerron is better that Fraser' and was finishing like a run away train. However we must show respect for Faser's 10.78 time. Torri Edwars best time is 10.78 and Kerron has never done better than 10.80.

Certainly I respect Shelly-Ann Fraser’s gold medal winning 10.78 seconds in Beijing!! In fact, probably more than most people, I am supremely happy that Shelly-Ann won that gold medal (for a personal reason that is not important in the context of this conversation). I also note the impressive fact that this was the second biggest margin of victory ever by a woman in an Olympic Games 100-meter dash. Shelly-Ann deserved this victory!!

Nevertheless, although you correctly pointed out that Torri Edwards’ best 100-meter time prior to Beijing was 10.78 (the eighth fastest time in history by a woman), I’m forced also to point out that Shelly-Ann’s best pre-Beijing time was 10.85 seconds. Why, therefore, if Torri had a perfect start (she did not, while Shelly-Ann had a perfect start) wouldn’t Torri have improved on her 10.78 pre-Beijing time?

Your statement also that Kerron Stewart “has never done better than 10.80” has to be balanced by the fact that Shelly-Ann has never done better than 10.85 prior to Beijing. With a perfect start, meaning one that unblemished by Torri Edwards’ mysterious shift in the blocks, don’t you think that Kerron might conceivably have ran an unbelievable time for the gold medal? Certainly coming from the back of the pack with an awful start and catching Sherone Simpson at the line makes Kerron’s pre-race favorite status a meaningful and accurate one!

Comment

I am for the meet (meets?)...strickly for...solely for the money it would pump into our T&F development.

tek di money! wi need it and use it...NOW!
                  ...and there is no worry about lasting effectives one way or another about placings in such a meet (or such meets).
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                  X