X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Berlin

Too Early to Predict Berlin, But….
    By Historian

Last year’s Olympic Games was a stellar one for Jamaica and, to a much lesser extent, the English-speaking Caribbean. For Trinidad, a country that can boast only one Olympic Games gold medal in its history (Hasley Crawford’s 100-meter gold in 1976) it was good, as that nation won two silver medals. For the Bahamas, on the other hand, it was less so as for the first time since the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games that country failed to win an Olympic gold medal.

With memories of Jamaica’s sterling performances still deeply embedded in our minds, it is only natural that we start looking with great expectation at this summer’s IAAF World Championships in Berlin. It’s obviously too early to start making predictions, but nevertheless the temptation is great and so….

1. Women’s 100-m: In the women’s 100-meter race at the Beijing Olympic Games, my sentimental favorite for the gold medal was Shelly-Ann Fraser, so you can imagine my joy when my beloved Shelly-Ann ran the eighth fastest time in history by a woman (10.78 seconds) to capture the gold medal in convincing style.

Nevertheless, we would be careless to ignore the fact that the veteran Torri Edward’s surprising shift in the blocks affected several of the women in that hard-fought final of the 100-meter dash. Certainly it affected Torri, Kerron Stewart and Lauryn Williams, who were all close to Torri. Kerron’s true greatness, in fact, is displayed in that truly impressive run she made from way in the back (sixth or seventh place, in my estimation) to share the silver medal with Sherone Simpson. In fact, Sherone, running on the inside lane, had one of the best starts in that field.

Kerron’s race reminded me of another remarkable run by a Jamaican, that of Merlene Ottey on anchor in the 4x100-meter relay at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. In last year’s CMC post-race interview in Beijing, Kerron admitted that Torri’s shift affected her race, but blamed herself for ignoring one of the cardinal rules of sprinting (that is, run until you hear the recall gun).

I would not be surprised if, barring injury, Kerron captured the gold medal in Berlin. Easing up before crossing the line in 10.92 seconds in early May, as she did yesterday, is not to taken lightly!

But…. it is way too early for predictions.

2. Men’s Sprints: Barring unfortunate circumstances, Usain Bolt will be racing against himself in both the 100-meter and 200-meter races this summer. His performance in Beijing was so dominating and “unworldly” that I for one would be extremely surprised to see any other human being even seriously challenge him this year!! Bolt, quite simply, is not human (as many have been saying since at least 2004 when he dipped below 20 seconds at the Bermuda Carifta Games to become the first junior sprinter in history to run a sub 20-second 200-meter race).

3. Women’s 4x100-m Relay: It’s probably significant that the two times that Jamaican women have won the gold medal in the sprint relay at a global meet (1991 at the IAAF World Championships in Tokyo and 2004 at the Olympic Games in Athens), the USA women either were not in the final of this event (1991) or else did not finish the race (2004).

Will Jamaica’s expected powerful women’s sprint relay team beat the USA in a race to the finish this summer? Only time will tell….

4. Women’s 4x400-m Relay: The Russians have tended to often be the unknown factor here, so I’m certainly not ready to claim a USA vs. Jamaica showdown in this event.

5. Women’s 200-m Race: Veronica Campbell is my all-time favorite Jamaican athlete (along with Merlene Ottey), and probably the only woman sprinter on the planet who has won gold medals at EVERY global track and field event. Nevertheless, we should be cautious about writing off Allyson Felix in this double lap event. In my view, the Allyson I watched and read about all year in 2008 did not seem like the Allyson Felix of old. In addition, while we celebrate Veronica’s excellent run in Beijing (the all-time seventh best, if my memory is correct here), we also cannot forget that Allyson won the 200-meter event at the IAAF World Championships in both 2005 and 2007.

6. Men’s 400-meter: From Grenada’s Alleyne Francique (PB 44.47) to the Bahamas’ Christopher Brown (PB 44.40) to one of the current new-kids-on-the-block Ricardo Chambers (44.62), the Caribbean has only won the 400-meter in a global event once since Bert Cameron brought us glory at the inaugural IAAF World Championships in 1983, and that was the Bahamas’ Avard Moncur in 2001 in Edmonton, Canada.

We have come close, most notably our great 400-meter man Gregory Haughton at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games where he won the silver medal. Will things change for Jamaica in the event that first brought us world fame at the 1948 and 1952 Olympic Games?

We all would, I’m sure, be extremely surprised….

C'mon Historian, even though I know that it's way too early to start any serious predictions, your article is unfinished. Please go eat some food and come back and finish the article. What about the hurdles; 400m women's, men's 4 x 100m, any chances in the jumps (high and long), women's 800m? Which race at the National Trials do you think is worth miles to see? I say the women's 100m.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Steve Mullings ran 10 flat and 20.14 (?) over the weekend. Looks like he means bizniz this year!

Everyone will be gunning for Yohan Blake to make the team, but the others not sitting around.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I dont see what Torri shift in the blocks did to that race for the americans that shift you speak of was a jump start which the americans failed to make use of .Kerron was affected by it more than anyone else .She had to run down laurayn williams and pip her for that 1-2-2 finish.

Please get off that shift in the blocks , we won against a jump start and an idiotic american protest by the fools whom jumped.

That 200m final again you pick Allyson Felix as some threat to VC ,The only logical threat I see is KS , if SS was fit then it would be trouble.

Barring Injury.It should be Jamaica 1-2-2 again in the 100m women and 1-2 in the 200m.

In the 100m men it should be 1-2 barring Asafa mental breakdown and Usain with a gold in the 200m and Jamaica in the 4 X100 men.

I expect the women to win the 400m,400m H and 4X400 .We can challenge the yanks.

The men 400 is in a building stage which should start bearing fruits next year.

It should be better than Beijing.No XCUSE FOR SAFA!
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Highlights Jamaica Invitational

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXzN6lH543s

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Let's hope Usain did not re-injure his troublesome back after that accident!

Remember, this year, Jamaica can have 4 athletes in the women's 100m. VB, as defending champion, gets an automatic entry to defend her title.

Asafa? I don't see him doing anything different this year. To think he made a Trini beat him last year - aargh!

He is another one that needs to get some limiter placed on his cars. I hear is di one place him can beat Bolt as him drive hard like hell.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I am worried about Usain reinjuring the next BMW than his back.

Comment

snicker.

That's not funny, X!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I know the truth hurts..lol

Comment

Working...
                  X