RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bolt threw out the first pitch - redsox game...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolt threw out the first pitch - redsox game...

Pedroia takes inspiration from Usain Bolt - disaster ensues

10:05 PM Sat, Apr 25, 2009 | Permalink
    Dan Barbarisi Email
    It's not often that the celebrity who throws out the first pitch is invoked as the reason why something happened later in that day's game -- but leave it to Dustin Pedroia to make anything possible.
    The gold-glove fielder and heads-up baserunner made two uncharacteristic gaffes in the space of one inning yesterday, getting tagged out trying to advance to second on a sacrifice fly, and then letting a Johnny Damon ground ball go through his legs on defense.
    Afterwards, he said he knew the cause: Usain Bolt, the Jamaicain sprinter who threw out the first pitch. Clearly, the Olympic medalist had made Pedroia think he had the speed of an world record-holder.
    "I'm chalking all that stuff up to Usain Bolt throwing out the first pitch. I thought I was fast on [the sac fly], and then I was fast on the ground ball."
    Technically speaking, there may have been other reasons. On the ground ball, he simply got there too quickly.
    "I overran it. It was hit real hard, and I thought I was going to have to backhand it, and I got to it quicker than I thought I would. And I tried to turn my glove over, and by the time I did that, it went through my legs," he said. Two men scored on the error.
    And on the failed advance on the sacrifice fly, he was tricked by a veteran, Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter -- who made Pedroia think there was no one in position to tag him out at second.
    "Jeter kind of deked me there. I tagged up, and he took the cutoff throw back real far. I thought nobody was there, he kind of picked it. Smart play on his part," Pedroia said.
    Or, it could have all been Usain Bolt's fault.
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

wanna hear something more out of leftfield... check this...

bolt threw out the first pitch to redsox pitcher, justin masterson who was born in kingston, jamaica...

now what is the probability of one jamaican throwing out the first pitch in a baseball game to another 'jamaican'...

justin masterson

Comment

uncanny!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

in MLB...masterson's parents are jamaican?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

maybe not, just like Seaga
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

dont know... i am inclined to think they are not... i only heard they mentioned his birthplace of kingston, ja... i did a google and saw he was born in kingston, ja...

in anycase, if he was born in kingston, he is elible for a jamaican passport, if he so desired...

Comment

him don't look Jamaican..

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                wanna hear something more out of leftfield... check this...

bolt threw out the first pitch to redsox pitcher, justin masterson who was born in kingston, jamaica...

now what is the probability of one jamaican throwing out the first pitch in a baseball game to another 'jamaican'...

justin masterson
                Very interesting!
                Thanks fi dis post, boss!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Masterson was born in Kingston, Jamaica, where his father served as dean of students at the Jamaica Theological Seminary.[3] A few years later, Masterson moved to Indiana. He attended Beavercreek High School at Beavercreek, Ohio where he first played baseball as a catcher, pitcher, and first baseman. His mother works as a teacher at Parkwood Elementary School in Beavercreek, Ohio.
                  Masterson attended Bethel College in Mishawaka, Indiana, where he played as a starting pitcher. While at Bethel, he hit 10 home runs during his sophomore year. He then attended San Diego State University. As a relief pitcher, Masterson pitched out of the bullpen in the Cape Cod Baseball League in 2005, saving 10 games for Wareham while posting a 1.15 ERA.
                  Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

I know. But him look like him did go Campion.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is Masterson a Jamaican or were his parents expats when he was born here? Would be interesting to find out.

However there have been at leats two Jamaicans who have had long distinguished Careers in MLB...Devon White who played mostly for Toronto Blue Jays and Glen 'Chilly' Davis who was with the Minnesota twins for a long time.

Both were all-stars and on at least one occasion when they played the All-Star game and Davis was involved, the Jamaican flag was flown among the rest.
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

That would be De-VON White per the Toronto media. He moved to Miami after... top class centre fielder.
                        Peter R

Comment

Working...
                        X