• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARIFTA... was it worth the effort?

CARIFTA... was it worth the effort?
    On the sporting edge
    Paul Reid
    Thursday, April 16, 2009
    Jamaica's junior track and field representatives once again reminded the rest of the region who's boss after amassing a massive 67 medals - more than the next three teams combined- at the fourth day of the 38th CARIFTA track and field Championships in St Lucia.
    The 67 medals, which were not even the top three in terms of total ever won by the Jamaicans, included 39 gold medals, easily better than all of the nine other teams that won a gold medal.
    This was not even Jamaica's best team available as a number of the top athletes pulled out days before the team left after a gruelling Boys' and Girls' Champs the previous weekend.
    Had the likes of Dexter Lee, Akino Ming and Sandrae Farquharson made the trip, who knows the medal haul would have been decidedly better and more records would have fallen.
    I have asked the question here in the past and after what we saw over the past two weekends it bears repeating:
    What exactly is the purpose of the CARIFTA Games to Jamaica and the overall development of the junior track programme?
    If it is going to CARIFTA every year to win 70-odd medals and break 10 records then by all means, send the very best we have to pummel the other Caribbean teams.
    If however we are serious about development then surely there must be another way to look at how we select our teams.
    For example what did IAAF World Youth 200m champion Ramone McKenzie and many-time CARIFTA champion and 10-time gold medal winner Natoya Goule have to gain from going to St Lucia?
    What exactly did IAAF World Youth and World Junior medalists Nickel Ashmeade stand to to gain from the trip?
    McKenzie suffered a cramp on the anchor leg of the Calabar High School 4x400m relay team at Champs after a busy Champs schedule and was barely able to complete the race.
    Goule has had a busy past few months, leading Jamaica at the NACAC Cross Country Championships in Florida, returning home to win double gold at Champs before going on to St Lucia where she won two more individual golds.
    Ashmeade did not look fully recovered from a broken hand at Champs and could have rested last weekend as well.
    All three athletes will no doubt lead their respective teams at the Penn Relays coming up next weekend in Philadelphia and one wonders if the thinking that went into Lee's withdrawal could not have been applied in their cases.
    It was understood that while Lee had fully recovered from the cramp he felt while winning the Boys Class One 100m at Champs, the thought was to allow him to heal fully, rather than risk running him so soon afterwards.
    The CARIFTA team was selected before Champs but I am sure that like the rest of us who watched the meet, the selector must have seen the youngsters going down right left and centre.
    If the long-term health of the youngsters are the main priority, I am sure the thought process should be to dig into our very deep pool of resources and find replacements.
    No doubt our second-tier runners would have been just as competitive in most of the events in St Lucia and these athletes would have no doubt been given the stimulus to try harder next year to earn a spot for themselves.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

While I understand your point I think we should definately compete in these meets. It build a certain confidence and once in a while you find one and two good caribbean ahtletes who can compete. I understand one of them broke Bolt 400 record(not bad doing 45) in class 2.

Maybe we don't need to send some of our best athlete but use it as a development meet.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Interesting article!
      ...but were athletes who were injuried left out/replaced with others?

How many meets do our best junior athletes compete in any one season?

Are the number of races these athletes compete in during the season too many? ...just right? ...or too few?

Is our track season too short? ...just right? or too long?

What part do the coaches and those who mangage the athletes play in getting the workload right?

..again, are the number of races these athletes compete in during the season too many? ...just right? ...or too few?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

So then America shouldn't go to the Olympics? or any FIFA team ranked above 50 shouldn't play any friendlies with the Rboyz?
        Peter R

Comment

Yuhseeit!

I think it would be a big mistake if we start thumbing our noses at the Carifta Games. No need to act like we are bigger then the games. Perhaps we need to work on the overall schedules for our school athletes, but let's not boycott Carifta or send some second string just because we maul them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

US sends a B team to Pan Am Games, for example.

Also, you notice that no top 50 team wants to play the boyz now?

The idea is not to boycott Carifta, but perhaps morph it into CAC juniors and mek dat annual, so that Jamaica can get some test outta it. Right now its just a turkey shoot.

Comment

I am not sure we should send our best team to CARIFTA, but if we do not, it would be like dissing our Caribbean neighbors.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Why, given that the B team beats them to a pulp most times!

Comment

Working...
                X