• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt to run on Manchester streets

Bolt to run on Manchester streets

Great Manchester Run
    Date: 1000 BST, Sunday 17 May </B>
    Coverage: Highlights on BBC Two (1700-1830 BST) and the BBC Sport website Bolt won three gold medals at the Beijing Olympics

Triple Olympic champion Usain Bolt will compete in a 150 metre street race in Manchester on 17 May.
    The race, which will be Bolt's first in Europe before the World Championships, will be shown on BBC television.
    The Jamaican, 22, won gold in the men's 100m and 200m at the Beijing Olympic Games in world record times and also triumphed in the 4x100 relay.
    Ethiopia's Haile Gebrselassie will be bidding to regain his Bupa Great Manchester Run title on the same day.
    Bolt, who will use the event partly as a tune-up for the World Championships in Berlin in August, said: "I am very excited to compete for my first time in Manchester, my first time in a 150m race and my first time in a street race.
    I am also looking forward to going to Old Trafford to support my team

Usain Bolt

"I love competing in the UK, it is like my second home as I usually stay in London during the European racing season.
    "When I heard about the idea I thought it would be great fun and something new and exciting. Hopefully this event will be the start of many more similar events all over the world and inspire kids to take up athletics."
    Bolt, a Manchester United fan, added that he had an ulterior motive for racing in the city.
    "I am also looking forward to going to Old Trafford to support my team," he said. "I've wanted to come to a match for a long time and am delighted to get the opportunity."
    The Manchester event will start at about 1600 BST, with the final taking place around 1800 BST and televised live as part of the BBC's Great Manchester Run highlights show on BBC Two.
    It will be similar to street sprint races held in Newcastle and Gateshead last summer, while there are also plans for an international "Ashes" match between England and Australia this summer.
    David Hart, communications director of event organisers Nova International, said: "In the past by definition, track and field athletics has taken place in a stadium or an indoor arena.
    "The feedback from Newcastle & Gateshead where we experimented with the 100m sprints, told us that spectators were thrilled at being so close to world class athletes they normally can only see from a distance in a stadium environment." Earlier in the day, marathon world record-holder Gebrselassie, 35, will hope to triumph in the Great Manchester Run, an event which he won in 2005 in a then-record time of 27 minutes 25 seconds. The 10k race, which starts at 1000 BST, has attracted a record field of 33,000 runners.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Usain Bolt to run in 150-meter street race
    2 hours ago

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — Triple Olympic gold medalist Usain Bolt will compete in a 150 meter street race in Manchester as part of his buildup to the European outdoor season and world championships.

The Jamaican sprinter, who won gold in the 100 and 200 meters and 100 relay in Beijing, has agreed to run in the inaugural "Great Manchester 150" on a specially built tartan track in the city center on May 17.

It will be Bolt's first appearance in Europe this year ahead of Grand Prix races in June and July and the world championships in Berlin from Aug. 15-23.

"I am very excited to compete for my first time in Manchester, my first time in a 150-meter race and my first time in a street race outside the stadium," Bolt said in a statement issued by organizers Wednesday. "When I heard about the idea, I thought it would be great fun and something new and exciting."

Bolt said he also plans to watch his favorite team, Manchester United, play at Old Trafford.

His appearance will come on the same day that Ethiopian distance great Haile Gebrselassie will seek to defend his title in the Great Manchester Run.

"Having the two fastest men on the planet competing on the streets of Manchester on the same day is an incredibly exciting prospect," organizer David Hart said.

Hart said some top British sprinters and other overseas athletes are expected to run in the 150 race.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

what will be the surface?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

street.

the difference don't look fi nuh potholes.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

not sure that is a good idea though....for a sprinter used to running on grass or mondo .... for an elite sprinter, it sounds like an injury waiting to happen.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

It just seems like it a promo thing to me. They may tell him not to run hard.

Comment

It will be a track laid on the street!

Comment

Usain, Usain, you may be a great sprinter... but your taste in football teams is immensely disappointing
                Peter R

Comment

Bolt woulda make a good politician.
                  His favorite basket ball team is Boston Celtics (World Champ)
                  His favorite soccer team is ManU (World Champ)
                  His favorite basketball player is KG(world champ)
                  His favorite soccer player is Ronaldo(World Champ)

Comment

and come this summer he should also be a world champ!

Comment

Working...
                    X