• Show
Clear All

• Cricket Players Lose Millions?

The Trinidad Express
    http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index...s?id=161442779

Mohammed: US$1m prize safe in T&T

Carolyn Kissoon South Bureau

Saturday, February 21st 2009
    West Indies spinner and Stanford Twenty/20 Superstar player Dave Mohammed yesterday says his US$1 million winnings are safe.

The money is in a local bank, he said, and safe.

Stanford's assets have been frozen and he is under investigation for fraud amounting to US$8 billion.

The United Kingdom media reported Thursday that five of the West Indies team, who each collected $1 million for copping the 2008 Stanford Twenty/20 tournament, were persuaded to reinvest the money with Stanford and now risk losing it all.

Named were Mohammed, Keiron Pollard, Sylvester Joseph, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, and Ramnaresh Sarwan.

But reached at his home near Princes Town yesterday, Mohammed said:
    "I did not invest my money in any of the Stanford financial institutions. I did not lose anything and that report is not true."

Mohammed was not picked to play against the England cricketers touring the Caribbean. He is playing local cricket with PowerGen Sports Club.

Stanford, a Texan billionaire, has been served with legal papers in a multi-billion-dollar fraud case. Stanford and three of his companies are accused of committing a US$8 billion fraud that lured investors with promises of improbable and unsubstantiated high returns on certificates of deposit and other investments.

Mohammed said of the media reports, "I don't know where they got that information. I was never interested in investing my money overseas and no one could persuade me in doing that. I cannot say whether any of the other players have invested their money. Maybe some of them did invest their money, but it was not me," Mohammed said
Working...
X