• Show
Clear All

• UK view on Jakan track

Jamaicans show there is life after 2012
    Posted By: Simon Hart at Feb 21, 2009 at 12:15:00 [General]
    Posted in: Sport , Olympics
    Tags:
    2012, jamaica, London Olympics, UK Sport, Usain Bolt

I was in Jamaica last week to watch Usain Bolt's first race of the year (some people get all the rotten jobs) and can report that the country who won 11 athletics medals at the Beijing Olympics, six of them gold, looks ready to dominate the track for years to come if the sheer number of would-be stars is anything to go by.

Bolt's season-opening 400 metes race was slotted into an athletics meeting for primary and secondary schools in the local Kingston area and I can honestly say I have never seen anything like it.

There were more than 2,000 kids there, crammed onto the infield and around the track, waiting for their chance to run or jump in the scorching heat. The volunteer officials had a hard job to keep order and stop them spilling onto the track.

The standard of athletics looked pretty tasty, too. A local journalist pointed out several world junior medallists. He also told me that 'development' events like this take place every weekend in various parts of Jamaica from the start of January through to the spring.

There was nothing new about this passion for the track, he said, though school teachers all over the country were reporting that, following Bolt's golden hat-trick in Beijing, there had been a huge surge of interest in the short sprints.

With that in mind, it was disconcerting to hear last week's mission statement from, Charles van Commenee, who started work as Britain's new head coach of athletics earlier this month after four years as technical director of the Dutch Olympic Committee.

"I am here to win medals with the athletes in London," he said. "I have to. Medals in London are my goal. I will be focusing very much on the very elite athletes."

He added: "At the end of the day, I want to be judged at the closing ceremony and if I have not hit the target, I am sure I will be gone the next day. I will do anything to make it happen."

His comments beg the question: what happens the day after the closing ceremony?

Van Commenee cannot be blamed for looking no further than the GB medal count in 2012. That is his brief - getting the best out of the current crop of athletes rather than being distracted by the next generation.

But the focus on a future that ends in three years' time is part of a wider obsession with the short term that has crept into Olympic sport in Britain.

When London was awarded the Olympics in 2005, all the talk was about using the Games to build a sporting legacy for future generations.

Now, as the clock ticks down, it is all about maximising the 2012 medal count - a philosophy forced on sports by UK Sport's 'no-compromise' funding mechanism that rewards sports with the best medal chances in London but is much less generous towards sports building for life after 2012.

Sports such as handball, water polo, volleyball, who were never going to be genuinely competitive in 2012 but who had been earmarked as possible medal contenders in 2016, have now been left with only token funding following the Government's refusal to make good a £50million shortfall in private-sector funding.

Shooting, which has had its funding slashed by 76 per cent because it could not guarantee medal success in 2012, has had to reduce its number of funded competitors from 46 to five, with the axe falling mainly on younger shooters. So much for the next generation of Olympians.

As for athletics, it was interesting to hear the views of Christine Ohuruogu last week. She told me that her recipe for building Olympic success began with building a wide base at grassroots level.

As a teenager, she gained inspiration from numerous club athletes who, though faster than her at the time, were never going to become Olympic champions. But without their help in training, she would never have got where she is today. The sport needed healthy levels of participation to flourish at the top.

Which brings us back to Jamaica, and the hordes of schoolchildren in action on a scruffy track in Kingston.

Britain may well rejoice in a record medal haul in 2012 but regarding the London Olympics as an end in itself rather than a gateway to the future will not get us very far when the young Jamaicans come of age.

A suh we stay wid T&F...Champs 1910 onwards!

Me ave dis book -
    HISTORY
    of the
    INTER SECONDARY SCHOOLS
    CHAMPIONSHIP SPORTS

by Sir Herbert McDonald.

(btw - It was dedicated to NW Manley by Sir Herbert)

It covers the years 1910 - 1970. Bought it in 1971. I hope you have a copy. The tremendous number of 'starts' that show each year is staggering. The number that go on to great things, few.

Lazie: Talent abounds! ...and a never ending stream of athletes keeps flowing!

What happens after the 'school thing' is where our problem of not turn larger number into world stars lie. As Shatta said...says, we have '25 Adus' i.e. his way of saying we great numbers of potential world stars!
    FORWARD!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

him nuh see nothing yet. What if a Boys Champ or Gibson he was?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

This is the Problem

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        A suh we stay wid T&F...Champs 1910 onwards!

The tremendous number of 'starts' that show each year is staggering. The number that go on to great things, few.

Lazie: Talent abounds! ...and a never ending stream of athletes keeps flowing! What happens after the 'school thing' is where our problem of not turn larger number into world stars lie. As Shatta said...says, we have '25 Adus' i.e. his way of saying we great numbers of potential world stars!

Well stated, Karl. This has been Jamaica’s supreme problem over the past several decades when it comes to track and field performance! For one reason or the other, the vast majority of our young superstars fail to spark in their senior years.

Hopefully, with world-class local clubs at last springing up, this trend of unfulfilled promise will change.

Comment

kinda disagree.

1st off, there seems to be an explosion of athlete and fan interest this year in Jam. The Devt meets are PACKED and drawing more than Premier league football on a weekly basis.

The local clubs have ALREADY proven their worth and the fruits are there to see.

Now we have another problem. Too many great athletes, too few spaces on Nat Teams.

Take for example the plight of one Sherri Anne Brookes...will she have to retire shortly?

Comment

He gets it!

If a no-name meet getting that level of participation...then he knows what happens at serious meets.

Champs will be a hoot this year!

Comment

Nuff reason why and not just because of talent.

After nuff leave school they have no form of formal training. Distraction is one of the main reason they fail to spark, girls, bleaching, smoking, drinking etc.

As you see Bolt could have easily been a victim. Some also come to college a foriegn and calll it quits very early for some reason or another.

You need a MVP or Racing club inna every parish of Jamaica.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                He gets it!

If a no-name meet getting that level of participation...then he knows what happens at serious meets.

Champs will be a hoot this year!
                St Georges ever win Champs??
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

LoL

Yes twice

1910 and 1925.
                  StGC is a football school...but YOU know that. LoL

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
                    LoL

Yes twice

1910 and 1925.
                    StGC is a football school...but YOU know that. LoL
                    Yes, unfortunately I know that.
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

It wasnt a no-name meet, it was the Camperdown Clasic that he was at..if he really wanted to see something he could have driven a few kilos to GC Foster and see no fewer than six Olympians competing....
                      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

No name was a relative term. They all have names, but the big local meets are Gibson, Champs and Kgn Invit (and Carifta when we host it).

The rest are Devt meets.

Comment

For the record and according to the JAAA- the Major meets/ Championship Meets in the island are the Western Relays, Gibson Relays, Boys and Girls Champs, JII Meet and National Senior/Junior Championships
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

Historian: I share your look towards the future with optimism. YesI, a few more world-class clubs needed.

For Siccko: Do you know that Sta B - Bucknor had the potential to 'make it' in field events?
                            Last edited by Karl; February 27, 2009, 08:56 AM.
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I heard he held the long or triple jump record at western champs for along time but how do we know he would have made the transition form high school to seniors?
                              Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
                              X