Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windies triumph delights BoltAdam Mountford 8 Feb 09, 08:47

Windies triumph delights Bolt
    As England's batting line-up fell apart in Jamaica, I was waiting in one of the corporate boxes at Sabina Park to try and secure an interview with the island's current sporting superstar Usain Bolt.
    Well, I say 'current star' - maybe Jerome Taylor and Chris Gayle have a pretty good claims on that title after inspiring West Indies to a famous victory.
    Man of the Match Taylor was the hero of an incredible final afternoon's cricket, taking 5-11, with captain Gayle having helped lay the foundation for victory earlier in the match with his first Test hundred on his home ground.
    It was a great sight to see Gayle hugging Bolt at the end of the game as hundreds of Jamaican cricket fans swarmed onto the outfield.

Bolt certainly enjoyed his day at the cricket. The double Olympic champion, who became world famous after his record-breaking performances in Beijing, told Test Match Special: "I certainly picked the right day to come to watch."
    Every time an English wicket fell, Bolt leapt from his chair in celebration - but he also told us how, in different circumstances, he could have been out there playing: "I was a good fast bowler as a youngster. I was quick and I also batted. I was actually good at it. But my cricket coach introduced me to track and field as he thought I was pretty quick and so I continued doing that."
    Although brought up in Jamaica, it was not local fast bowlers like Courtney Walsh and Michael Holding who were Bolt's early cricket heroes.

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions

var emp = new bbc.Emp();
    emp.setWidth("400");
    emp.setHeight("60");
    emp.setDomId("bolt_08_02_08");
    emp.setPlaylist("http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/emp/7870000/7877100/7877158.xml");
    emp.write();

"The person I looked up to was Waqar Younis because he had a great in-swinging yorker. He was wonderful. Pakistan was my team when I was six when I started watching cricket. I enjoyed watching them play," he revealed.
    Botl does not stray from home, however, when looking for heroes in the current West Indies team. He continued: "Chris Gayle is my favourite player because when I was younger I was an aggressive batsman. That's how Chris Gayle plays. I really enjoy watching him play cricket."
    Life has been "hectic", according to Bolt, since Beijing. "I don't even like to go out onto the streets sometimes because I can't get anything done. People want pictures and autographs all the time."
    But despite all the attention, he is not ready to leave. "I decided to stay because I'm a mama's boy, I have to live close to my mother," he said.
    As for future plans, there are reports he is planning to compete in the 400 metres at London 2012 and he admitted: "We're looking at that. Next season I'll probably start but I'm looking forward to it."
    Many assume he is contemplating the switch in distance so he can try and break another Michael Johnson world record, having already beaten his 200m mark, but Bolt insisted: "I really don't think about records I just go out there and try to do my best."
    But is there any chance of a return to the cricket field by the fastest man on the planet? "I was talking to Chris Gayle and I was telling him one day I'll have to get him in the nets and bowl him a few balls and show him that I was pretty good back in the days," Bolt laughed.
    Next up for Gayle, however, is the second Test in Antigua and Test Match Special will be back on air on Friday the 13th - not a date England would have chosen as they look to improve their fortunes.
    We'll be on the air from 1330 GMT on Five Live Sports Extra, Radio Four Long wave and on-line - and don't forget the Test Match Special podcast after each days play..
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.
Working...
X