T&T silver medalist Richard Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&T silver medalist Richard Thompson

injured in an accident last night, along with a female member of the TT Olympic track team to Beijing. I have no details except I hear he will be ok but no news on Monique.
    Peter R

i wish for them a speedy and 100% recovery....everything is always so tenuous eh?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

wish him all the best and full recovery.
      What is it with Trinidad and accident with sportsmen? Are their roads no better than ours or is it poor driving?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Here's a brief report... the authorities have been protective of Thompson...

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index...s?id=161419496
        Peter R

Comment

Comments:

accident Posted: 2009-01-02 03:39:00 AM please,let their parents tell them to stop speeding.the car i saw was a brainchild of recklessness or drunk-driving simple! Cause for concern Posted: 2009-01-02 02:26:00 AM Something needs to be done. Drivers of T&T please follow the road rules and laws. This is show that no matter who you are, if you don't drive carefully and abide by the road rules these things won't happen. And police don't be afriad to prosecute people even if they break a stop sign! Come on it's the law! Get well Posted: 2009-01-02 09:14:00 AM I would hate to imagine that the national hero was driving under the influence...Get well son. Re: Get Well Posted: 2009-01-02 1:57:00 PM That was my exact sentiments.... I hope that they were sensible enough so that this is not the case. People of T&T needs to be more committed to not driving drunk!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Photos - Richard Thompson Update

Olympic medallist ‘stable’ after New Year’s mishap

Camille Clarke | 9:08 pm

Published: January 1st, 2009

Shortly before the accident in which he was injured, double Olympic silver medalist, Richard Thompson, left, was partying at 51 degrees nightclub, Cipriani Boulevard, Port-of-Spain, with Black Velvet Concept promoters Mark Lynch, second from left, and Ephraim Gunness, right, and Darryl Brown. PHOTO: SEAN NERO. BELOW LEFT: Thompson’s father, Ruthven, (centre) looks on as Minister Jerry Narace and Minister Gary Hunte speak with the media yesterday. BELOW RIGHT: The RAV 4 which was involved in a head-on accident on New Year’s Day, with a car driven by Richard Thompson. Photos: ANDRE ALEXANDER

Camille Clarke | 9:08 pm
            Olympic double silver medallist Richard Thompson is listed in stable condition at Port-of-Spain General Hospital, after being involved in a vehicular accident yesterday morning. The 100-metre runner-up was under observation by doctors up to late yesterday. He was undergoing numerous tests, including a CT scan, to determine the extent of his injuries. Thompson was runner-up to Jamaican Usain Bolt, in the 100 metres final during the Beijing Olympics in China, last August, and was also a member of the 4 x 100 T&T relay team which placed second to Jamaica.

According to police, Thompson’s Cefiro was involved in a head-on collision with a Rav4 vehicle around 4.30 am, at the corner of Marli and Picton Streets in New Town, Port-of-Spain. The owner of the Rav4 is warded at St Clair Medical Centre. Monique Cabral, who was also a member of the T&T team in Beijing, and was a passenger in Thompson’s car, is also hospitalised and resting comfortably. Cabral, 22, of Diego Martin, suffered minor injuries, hospital officials said. Police said the vehicles were damaged extensively.

Both Health Minister Jerry Narace and Sport and Youth Affairs Minister Gary Hunte visited the athletes. Security guards blocked the entrance to Ward 21, and media personnel were not allowed inside to see Thompson. Narace said the media were not permitted any further, because they were “acting on instructions from his family.” Hunte said: “He will recover soon and is getting the best treatment. He asked to be given time to rest and recuperate. This is a minor setback, and he will be training soon.”

Comment

Two relatively narrow sts meet at that intersection. I cannot tell you who has the right of way as it is poorly marked if at all (at least the last time I used these streets)....watch somebody run out guh put down some lines. I do not remember seeing a stop sign either direction...so at 4:30AM somebody just assumed they could pass through without any consequence... I know I always slow down and check regardless of which of those two streets I'm on.

Anyway, looks like the injuries are minor and Thompson and Cabral should be fine. They will probably not publicise who is at fault, but someone presumably should be charged (the authorities for improper or lack of signage?),in order to at least cover the hospital costs etc etc.
              Peter R

Comment

Good to hear the injuries were minor.
                Wish both athletes speedy and full recovery.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                X