• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And you say is fact, so what can I say.

sigh

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Calm down son...the question any marketer will ask is how can Usain Bolt sell one sweetie in the US? The is how you measure some one's marketability...
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Yuh nuh hear? Nutten buh big like di US media! Tank God fi Letterman!

Sickko, how di one show pon Letterman a go help nuhbody?! A dat me waan fi know!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

dem haffi know him first...nuh true?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

a guess like everybody else they only did it for a laugh
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              the fact is the fact.

Because of the American media Bolt name and picture will be in many more household than it would have been. Having appeared on David Letterman, Real Sports, Regis and Kelly, NFL today amongst other program it has only made him even more popular WORLDWIDE and you can't deny it.
              Are you saying these programs are viewed worldwide? Which world are you referring to, the USA? When you check it, maybe more than 2/3 of the American public may have missed all those shows which carried Bolt. I missed the first showing of Real Sport with Bryant Gumbel and I missed the second showing again too. I will have to watch it on On-Demand which I understand should be available the coming week.

Watching the new DL Hugley Reports The News on CNN last night, he was talking to a reporter in India to get the feedback on the feel from the Indian population about the American elections. Her response was that she could safely say that more than 90% of the population do not care, as they had other things in India to focus on. I chose the Indians as you may know they have the second largest population in the world and are more than 4 times the size of the US population.

While the USA is an economic and military power in the world, do not feel that every country is heavily influenced by American culture.
              Last edited by Tilla; October 26, 2008, 12:32 PM.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Check how many people across the world have dish and how many countries across the world also buy American programming to broadcast on their stations.

There is no other Media execpt the BBC that cover a wider section of different people and different cultures. Yes more than 90% do not care but you have the influencial 10% that do care and they are the ones who matter and decide what the rest of people do.

Did you expect Indians to be campaigning for an American president?
                The don't care because they are not informed. The only reason 90% of Jamaican care is because a black man is running. They didn't care 4 years ago.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Check how many people across the world have dish and how many countries across the world also buy American programming to broadcast on their stations.
                  Sass, the point is, not everyone is immersed into the American culture.
                  Because people have Dish, it does not mean that all their programing is American. You can ask men like OJ who lives in Canada is they watch Leno, Dave, Regis and Kelly and Real Sports. Chances are they will tell you no as they have their own programing to watch or it might be that the networks in their areas just do not carry the programing.

There is no other Media execpt the BBC that cover a wider section of different people and different cultures. Yes more than 90% do not care but you have the influencial 10% that do care and they are the ones who matter and decide what the rest of people do.
                  And our argument was not about the 10% minority. The point we are making is that the American media is not touching the wide cross section of different cultures as you may think. We were never discussing the rich few who may be able to get American programing.

Did you expect Indians to be campaigning for an American president? The don't care because they are not informed. The only reason 90% of Jamaican care is because a black man is running. They didn't care 4 years ago.
                  Don't be silly Assassin! Yuh have sense and know I am just using the Indian population as reference. As I pointed to the fact that they were more than four times larger than the USA, it was just an attempt to point to a culture which does not necessarily march to the American beat. Moreover, the US culture has a much greater influence on cultures like Jamaica because of promimity of the two countries. If the US have a hiccup, Jamaica more than likely will be affected. The US is also over one hundred times the size of Jamaica in terms of population. We look to the US for everything, even the importation of the culture.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Don't be silly Assassin! Yuh have sense and know I am just using the Indian population as reference. As I pointed to the fact that they were more than four times larger than the USA, it was just an attempt to point "to a culture which does not necessarily march to the American beat. Moreover, the US culture has a much greater influence on cultures like Jamaica because of promimity of the two countries. If the US have a hiccup, Jamaica more than likely will be affected. The US is also over one hundred times the size of Jamaica in terms of population. We look to the US for everything, even the importation of the culture."

How can you come to that conculsion? You go a Britain and they want American Jeans and nuh stop ask about America. Even countries in the Middle East have some taste for American culture. Even in Russia rock music is a big thing. Many countries further away from Ja have more American influence than Jamaica does.

I bet if it was an Indian running for President about 90% of Indians would know who he is.

Tilla there is one unique language that is on almost all Satalite dish that they have access to and that is the US English. The fact is you can check the international affilates that broadcast real sports, do you think they are paying to broadcast it to nobody?

The fact is the American Media is a great tool to market your stuff on, like it or not and Bolt is doing the right thing despite how we trying marginalise it as if nobody is watching. The fact is many people in many countries watch him on Real Sport and Good Morning America and it is part of the Puma strategy to get recognition.

You notice I said a "part"? . Doing the American curcuit doesn't stop him from reaching out to each individual market but the American Media covers a wider cross section from South America, to Europe, to Africa, to Asia, and the middle east. No other Media except the BBC does that.

Comment

for Tilla

Comment

I guess the expert on Real Sports don't know what him talking about. And he was American!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If you analyse what he said "Bolt doesn't really need the US Media to make him a star"

That doesn't mean the US media don't help. It is telling of Bolt's ability but the it makes no sense to frown on the world largest media houses while you can use them.

Comment

But Assasin, of course the US media can help, but I think the point is, if Bolt makes US$10M next year, 9 would have been generated outside of the USA! (Obviously, that's a guess on my part.)

Some would say losing a million dollars is a big deal, so I guess yuh right!

And Bolt is not frowning on anyone. But the way some of us were talking after the Olympics...you'd think he'd have to move to the USA if him want to mek a dime. In fact, HL already predicted that he would move to Atlanta, into his neighbourhood!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah I have been called Idiot so many times for saying I haven't seen any Jamaican ahtlete taken advantage of the American media.

Bolt is doing it and it only enhance him as a star. The fact is when Bolt ome to Long Island or Penn Relays every body will know him and everybody will want to wnat to be a part of the excitement.

Because of the American Media Bolt some people around the world, some not having the slightest idea who Bolt was but because he has been on good morning America, many stay at home mom around the world will know who he is and may pick up a Bolt Puma shirt if they can afford it. Nobody can tell the power of the marketing and exactly how much Bolt will be sold.

I bet you if Bolt come on Oprah show his marketing will be up around the world just for that appearance only.

Comment

so what is he endorsing.

Comment

Working...
                                X