Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am blessed to know Bolt – Dwain Chambers

I am blessed to know Bolt – Dwain Chambers

British sprinter Dwain Chambers said he is blessed to know Usain Bolt and would give anything to return to Jamaica to train with world renowned coach Glen Mills. The controversial athlete who tested positive for the performance enhancing drug THG in 2003 and was banned for two years, spent one season training with the sprint guru in Jamaica in 2006 before returning to competition.
    Bolt’s rise to stardom was one of the best kept secrets ever, he told JamaicaWin.com in an exclusive interview.
    “He was destined to be a star. It was only a matter of time. He was beating me in training and I have the potential to run 9.8,” said Chambers who has a 9.97 personal record.
    “He wanted to run the 100 in 2006 but Mr Mills said no. Mr Mills handled him well as he was held back and released at the right time.”
    He said training with Mills was, “excellent. Working with him and having people like Bolt as partner was great. They accepted me fully and it was a great feeling.
    “I felt very comfortable in Jamaica. The scenery, training alongside Bolt. I am blessed to know him (Bolt).”
    The 30-year old would love to return to Jamaica. “I would love to work with Mills again. I learned so much. He is an excellent teacher. However, I am not able to do return at this time because it would not be possible financially.”
    Chambers, whose parents are Jamaicans, said he is extremely proud of Jamaica’s performance in Beijing which serves as positive promotion for the island. “I am proud of what the Jamaican athletes did in Beijing. People like Bolt, Asafa Powell, Veronica Campbell were fantastic. They have put the country on the map. Jamaica is a great place to go and I would highly recommend it. It’s my heritage”
    Chambers, who has been on and off the track since his return, was prevented from competing at the Beijing Olympics by the British courts after thrashing all that England put against him earlier this year. He believes that he will be competitive next year and is looking forward to competing against his former training mate.
    “I am looking forward to competing against Bolt next year. I think I will have a prosperous three years.”
    Chambers said he will be maximizing on the three-year window of opportunity which runs 2009 to 2012 but unfortunately excludes the London Olympics. “I look forward to the World Championships and the European championships which are not a problem,” he pointed out. “I look forward to a prosperous three years.”
    Chambers said he was disappointed by the decision which forced him out of the British Olympic team but he is now better for the experience.
    “I was weakened by the decision,” he lamented. “I wanted another chance to compete for my country. But the experience has made me much stronger and wiser.”
    He said he is now going back to schools to relate his experiences and to try to get others to avoid going down the wrong path.
    The athlete has put his experiences of drug involvement and his fight with the system for redemption in a book which will be out next March. Below is the Press release with information about Chambers and the book – Race against Me.
    PRESS RELEASE
    RACE AGAINST ME!
    With contributions from Linford Christie and Peta Bee
    In January 2002 the athlete Dwain Chambers made a serious error of judgement when he succumbed to peer pressure and temptation and took a performance enhancing substance. The inevitable bust, when it happened, came almost as a relief.
    Nevertheless it would turn his life upside down. Chambers came clean, held up his hands and unburdened himself of the guilt he’d been carrying for so long. His income fell from six figures per annum to nil and he had to repay 18 months of athletics prize money when he freely admitted the timescale of his abuse.
    A two-year competition ban was imposed and a lifetime ban from the Olympics. He fought the two-year ban as the drug he took was not actually on a ‘banned list’ at the time of his offence. Despite the experts advising him otherwise he lost the case, needing to sell his house in order to pay the costs.
    He then made the decision to rebuild his athletics career and his life and decided to fight the British Olympic Association attempting to overturn his lifetime Olympic ban. Some would say it was yet another error of bad judgement taking on ‘The Establishment’.
    For five years Dwain Chambers has been abused and vilified by the BOA, the media and his fellow athletes past and present, he has been called a cheating bastard in a radio interview and a prominent Lord has used the F word when referring to him. Lord Sebastian Coe, Lord Colin Moynihan, Daley Thompson, Steve Cram, Steve Redgrave and Dame Kelly Holmes are just a few of the high profile names who have ensured a tirade of negative publicity during and leading up to one most high profile hearings in British sporting history.
    Once again Dwain Chambers placed his faith in British justice. Two of his legal acquaintances Jonathan Crystal and Nick Collins agreed to work for free, such was their belief in their client’s right to run. The BOA, by their own admissions were not particularly well off, nevertheless they wheeled in David Pannick QC, arguably Britain's pre-eminent brief on sporting matters, whose hourly rate of up to £1,500 puts him at the very top of the pile of legal earners. The Lawyer magazine estimates he commands an annual income in excess of £2m. Chambers lost his case. He sat and watched the Beijing Olympics at home.
    Dwain Chambers has kept a diary for five years, now it’s his turn to talk. His treatment by certain individuals, who are far from perfect themselves, and in particular by the BOA have sickened him to the core. The lies and double standards are evident in RACE AGAINST ME as Chambers pours his heart out and exposes the real cheats in the world of athletics.
    RACE AGAINST ME is a book that will shake UK and world athletics to the core written by a man who tells it how it is.
    For Press Enquiries please contact:
    Simon@sjdent.com
    07711 842876
    WE HAVE 2012 SIGNED LIMITED EDITION COPIES
    NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE ORDER
    ON WWW.SJDENT.COM
    Pre Order copies will be dispatched before book
    is on general release (March 2009)
    • <LI class="node_submitted first">By Earl at 10/23/2008 - 12:13 <LI class=taxonomy_term_2>Lead Story
    • Login to post comments

LOGIN

Username: *
    Password: *
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X