Do we have any more T& F coaches of quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we have any more T& F coaches of quality

Like Mills & Francis , I mean 2 cocahes cannot do for the quality that we have.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Originally posted by X View Post
    Like Mills & Francis , I mean 2 cocahes cannot do for the quality that we have.
    There are many quality coaches. Most spend time with our juniors. ...they do turn out juniors that are among the world's best!

Have no doubt that if there was enough financial support - support for our athletes (remember the vast numbers who have to give up after leaving secondary high schools...gotta mek a livin!), coaches, facilities - far many more would adults would be in training under different coaches.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Why not adults isnt that more lucrative ?
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

think about it.......that is where we ae now going...in the past they went away to merrykah...now...they don't have to!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
          Why not adults isnt that more lucrative ?
          ..but it is a chicken and a head situation. Needs money to 'set up' the training squad...and then that training squad makes money!

Stephen Francis explains it well!

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sports/html/20050624t200000-0500_83021_obs_polishing_the_hidden_gem.asp
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
            ..but it is a chicken and a head situation. Needs money to 'set up' the training squad...and then that training squad makes money!

Stephen Francis explains it well!

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...hidden_gem.asp

"I used to talk to coaches back in the 90s and I used to always wonder 'But why? if we can do this at the junior level why can't we also do it at the senior level...?'

"I was always told that such a programme required millions of dollars and so on..."

But, says Francis, "My philosophy has always been that not everything requires an ideal start. The thing to do would be to try first with whatever minimal resources you have and then see if you can make a success of it at the start and then it can attract funding ...,"

In building the track club to what it is now, Francis found that attracting funding, be it from government or private sources, was the hardest part.
            Indeed, as the success of his athletes multiplied their earnings became the source of the money for equipping the MVP track club and its resource base.

"We generate money from what the athletes earn... we now have a strength coach, two masseurs, a chef, an administrator...," he says with pride.

Comment

"chicken and a head"situation?!!!! have you been hanging out with HL?!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Coaching pros is a VERY different kettle of fish!

You need the supporting infrastructure. it is NOT just about technical ability.

Franno qand Mills wisely atteched themselves to some form of superstructure at the beginning. Franno with U-Tech sports program and Mills with the IAAF hi-tech centre and the JAAA special programs.

Mills will have to beef up his (RACERS) infrastructure as he attempts to grow, though I know he does not want to get too big (number of athletes) so as to maintain quality.

Comment

But is the actual coaching any different?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Technically no, but practically yes!

The youngsters could technically be more difficult, as they are growing, though the battle of the bulge is greater in adults (weight management is ultra-important). Psychology is also different and in the technical events, field and hurdles, more care must be given to ensure improvements.

A coach has to deal with differing motivations and real world needs of the athletes, and those demands are greater in adults. Ego also plays more part.

Improvements in adults can be more of a diminishing returns endeavour, so more attention must be paid to technique, etc and so athletes may demand more indiv. attention. The season is longer and more financially perillous, so injury management is key! The coaches have to be constantly improving and experimenting. IAAF certification just wont cut it. You need to be pushing the envelope. you have to be a voracious reader and have an inventive mind.

Finally, I am speaking from mainly a SPRINT basis.

Comment

I think many of our high school coaches could move up to the next level. But why? They are happy coaching students to compete at champs. And many couldn't become coaches for adults because there might not be enuff athletes. (?)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Some, not all.

You rate the coach of Carrie Russell or Blake????

Willo seems to be great though.

Comment

Don't know enuff about them. I can't go by the results to know if they good or not. With junior athletes, you never know when some just peak and were never going to be good at the adult level. I'm the prime example!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nah man,

is how they handle the athletes.

Carrie Russel has been overworked severely at minor meets and Blake has not been injury managed well.

Comment

Working...
                            X