RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamaican athletes: Why do they run so fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican athletes: Why do they run so fast?

Jamaican athletes: Why do they run so fast?
    By Delano Franklyn
    Sunday, August 24, 2008

Having watched Usain Bolt set a new 100-metre and 200-metre world record for men after phenomenal and dumbfounding sprinting, Shelly-Ann Fraser, Sherone Simpson and Kerron Stewart who finished, first, second and second in the women's 100-metre final, leaving the trio of girls from the USA wondering what hit them, Melaine Walker's smashing performance over the 400-metres for women hurdles and Veronica Campbell-Brown repeat performance in the 200-metres for women, a friend of mine called me from South Africa to ask, "Why are Jamaican athletes able to run so fast?"

This question is not new; it has been asked time and time again, and increasingly so over the last decade by persons from all over the world. While no scientific study, which ought to be done, has been undertaken to determine the real reason or reasons why our athletes are able to dominate the sprints on the international circuit, there are a few factors which can be reasonably advanced in our search for answers.

Champs

First, the annually held Boys' and Girls' Championships, popularly called 'Champs', has developed into the most prestigious high school meet in the world. Often, the times recorded by athletes at Champs can be compared with times clocked by other athletes at major international athletic meets.

Champs has been the training ground for most of the Jamaica's outstanding athletes that have graced the world athletic stage.

Think of some of the greats and you will see the connection between Champs and the renowned performances at the international level. Arthur Wint of Calabar, was dominant in all three classes at Champs and became the Olympic champion in the 400 yards in 1948. Herb McKenley also represented Calabar at Champs. Dennis Johnson also of Calabar and a product of Champs, became a triple world record holder for the 100 yards in 1961. Lennox Miller represented Kingston College at Champs. Donald Quarrie represented Camperdown at Champs and went on to become Olympics 200-metre champion in 1976. Velma Charlton of St Andrew High, Rosie Allwood of Titchfield, Andrea Bruce of Excelsior and Jackie Pusey of St Mary High all benefited from participation at Champs.

So too Bert Cameron of St Jago, Merlene Ottey of Vere Technical, Juliet Cuthbert of Morant Bay, Grace Jackson of Queen's, Deon Hemmings represented both York Castle and Vere Technical at Champs and Juliet Campbell of St Jago High School.

Almost all members of the current Jamaica squad at the Olympics in China are products of Boys' and Girls' Champs.

Complete Story ...
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

As I Said Before....Training Secrets

Men......... Chasing pummmpummm

Women..... Running away from Jamaican men.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
      Men......... Chasing pummmpummm

Women..... Running away from Jamaican men.
      Very, very funny! I'm not sure, however, why I am not laughing!

Comment

Working...
      X