Ja search for answers after 4x400 failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ja search for answers after 4x400 failure

BEIJING, China (CMC) - Unaccustomed to such failure, Jamaica were left searching for answers after they finished last in the Men's 4x400 metres relay at the Bird's Nest Stadium yesterday.

"It was a tough race. We ran out of lane nine so it was hard to get a good start and second leg. I got the stick and did the best I could but the other teams were just too far in front and it was just hard to play catch up," said Sanjay Ayre, who ran a difficult third leg.

Jamaica could only watch as United States took gold in the event in a time of 2:55.39 minutes, with the Bahamas second and the Russian Federation third.

Ayre, who won bronze in the 4x400 relay at the Sydney Olympics and at the 2005 World Championships in Helsinki, said he believed quarter-milers in the country were going through a difficult phase.

"It's just been a few off years for the 400 metres runners. You look back like eight years ago, the 400 metres was dominating and now the 100 metres guys are dominating, so I just think it's a change in era," he reasoned.

"You have some good young ones coming up and I just think in two or three years, things will get better."

Lansford Spence, a member of the bronze medal team in Helsinki three years ago, said he was not too downcast by the result.

"I look at it as a positive because it's not the best 4x4 team we've got. the 4x4 guys need to step up because the 100 metres guys they are taking over now and the quarter-milers are stepping back so we've got to do something by next year and get back the 4x4 together," he contended.

"We have to go hard and train and prepare ourselves mentally and be physically ready for the competition coming up next year.

"I look back at it as experience because this is my first one. I did knee surgery back in November and started training back in March, made the team. I feel pretty proud of myself."
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Originally posted by Twan View Post
    BEIJING, China (CMC) - Unaccustomed to such failure, Jamaica were left searching for answers after they finished last in the Men's 4x400 metres relay at the Bird's Nest Stadium yesterday.
    Now, Twan, maybe you'll see the point I was trying to make yesterday! Objectivity is a hell of a thing, and sometimes in our nationalistic fervor, we miss the balance that is so often needed when we analyze.

By the way, while I'm a proud Jamaican, it does not mean that I'm going to praise failure in the name of patriotism! I will never do that, which is why there's no way under the sun that I am going to praise the performance of our men's 4x400-meter relay team yesterday!!! My goodness, maybe (in a morbid sense) we have to give thanks that people like Herb and Arthur are not around to see yesterday's fiasco!!

Comment

I posted that article for YOU !!...You dont seem to understand that at this point in time, we are weak in the mens 400m. These guys are just not good enough. I myself do not endorse failure, but that does not stop me from understanding and accept that when we are not good enough, we just not good enough.

Comment

! Objectivity is a hell of a thing, and sometimes in our nationalistic fervor, we miss the balance that is so often needed when we analyze.

Examine what you just wrote and look in the mirror..and repeat it to yourself...

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
          I posted that article for YOU !!...You dont seem to understand that at this point in time, we are weak in the mens 400m. These guys are just not good enough. I myself do not endorse failure, but that does not stop me from understanding and accept that when we are not good enough, we just not good enough.
          Twan, I understand a lot more than you give me credit for! And of course I am fully aware that we are weak in the men's 400-meter event! Anyway, this will be my last post on the matter, as I don't have time to waste in trying to justify failure!

Quite simply, there is no excuse for our eighth place result yesterday, and I can assure you that for as long as I live I will never applaud yesterday's men's 4x400-meter relay!

How in God's name can you look at the performance-from-the-heart of our females (Shereefa and Shericka, for example) and then turn around and applaud the men's lacklustre performance! I would have felt better if those men had not qualified for the finals, because based on the performance of virtually every one of our other athletes, those 4x400-meter relay men should not have left that final picture in the world's mind yesterday! Thanks to them, we closed our most magnificent Olympic performance with a whimper!

This issue is now finished as far as I'm concerned!

Comment

Does being "not good enuff" mean that we should not give it our all? Were we better than last place?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Does being "not good enuff" mean that we should not give it our all? Were we better than last place?
              Thank you, Mosiah! You hit the damn nail squarely on the head!

Comment

Well we lost the future. Germaing Gonzales to injury and one Usain Bolt to superstardom.

If we had those two in the race we coulda do a thing or two.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

We lost Bolt to superstardom?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

the 400 relay lost him.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

the 400*4 relay lost him.

Comment

if i may... from my observation, jamaica has too many 'mediocre' 200m sprinters... many who are running the 200m should really be running the 400m... they would be more competitive... in the same vein, many who ar running the 400m should be focussing on the 800m...

the girl from kenya pam jelimo was a 200/400m runner up to last year... she recognised that she was not going to be a world beater in the sprints and courageously stepped up to the 800m... now, there is no woman who can challenge her...

thats what our coaches need to put in some our sprinters head...

if i recall, danny mcfarlane was a 400m runner and switched to the 400m hurdles and got an olympic silver medal... these are lessons to be taught...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
                          if i may... from my observation, jamaica has too many 'mediocre' 200m sprinters... many who are running the 200m should really be running the 400m... they would be more competitive... in the same vein, many who ar running the 400m should be focussing on the 800m... thats what our coaches need to put in some our sprinters head...
                          Good point, Baddaz. The problem is that the 400-meter is hard (a lot of work) and the 800-meter is much harder, so most potential athletes for these events shy away from the 400 and the 800.

Comment

well whose fault is it if they cant succeed... there is nothing easy in the quest for glory in t&f...

if a person wishes to languish in obscurity because they chose the easy road, its on them...
                            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Thanks God Bolt didn't run. What an embarassment dat woulda be. 3 Golds!!! 3 World Records!!! and a last place.

Comment

Working...
                              X