• Show
Clear All

• From Willi's site - Ato defends himself

vuze
    Boldon responds to criticism of Bolt comments
    Thu Aug 21, 2008 14:32

Ato Boldon courtesy to the Express

Thursday, August 21st 2008

No-one on the planet has used more superlatives to praise Usain Bolt since May when I called his 100m world record in New York. A month ago, I said he would win three gold medals in Beijing, and during both NBC broadcasts, I correctly predicted his world records.Â

No one who saw the NBC broadcasts I have done on Bolt could possibly ever say I have begrudged the man his wins or his success, or even his exuberance, because quite to the contrary, as I walk to the stadium every day with my Jamaican mother, I am excited and thrilled for the Jamaican team's success this year-as I am for all those who are excelling in Beijing.

Prior to the start of the Games, I said in an article that it would only be fitting that Jamaica have their first men's and women's 100m champion ever, since Jamaica is the mecca of track and field. That has since happened. In my several visits to Jamaica this year, Jamaicans, in many ways, embraced me as a fellow Caribbean brother in a way no other island has, which was a great feeling. To imply that I am anti-Jamaica or anti-Bolt simply flies in the face of the facts.

So, despite the numerous articles in which I have been complimentary to Bolt and my calls of his races on NBC, some have chosen to single out my opinion that he should have celebrated after the line as a "sour grapes" rain on his parade, or disrespect for Usain Bolt's achievements.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

It has further descended into a "USA vs Jamaica" issue, which is lunacy, since when watching the replays of the 100 I said aloud off-air "that was great television, but I think it was poor sportsmanship". That assessment was discussed on NBC during Bolt's early rounds and another commentator said it was just youthful exuberance-and it was left at that.

Since that time, and since my Bob Costas interview, Jamaicans, as well as people from other Caribbean countries and the USA, have written to me, to say either one of the following two things--that I was stupid for allowing Costas to "bait" me into a derogatory statement about Bolt, which is false, since I thought it myself on the night in question, or, that I should "stand my ground" because they, too, thought the pre-finish line celebration a bit excessive.Â

People clearly feel differently about the race.

It is perfectly okay to disagree with my opinions, and many Jamaicans here in Beijing have sought me out in the stadium to say that I would have to know the man Bolt more to understand that he would never disrespect his competitors. I can certainly entertain or accept that possibility, but I will not apologise for an opinion, especially since it seems that the 999 favourable ones I have had of Bolt have been ignored--to focus on this one--which has been blown totally out of proportion.

I have no interest in a needless controversy which seeks only to overshadow the unprecedented performances of this Jamaican Olympic team, and I wish to state categorically that I respect opinions contrary to my assessment of Bolt's celebration, while maintaining my own opinion.

My stance as a track purist is that an athlete should celebrate as much as possible before and after, not during a race--simple as that. I celebrated as much as was possible during my own career and I find Bolt's antics here truly entertaining. I was unaware that he had THIS much personality, in all honesty. NBC has devoted much airtime to showing the fun Bolt is having in Beijing--but that does not mean I can't state an opinion that I wanted to see him celebrate after the finish line was crossed. By celebrating "post finish-line" tonight, Bolt broke a 200M WR I thought would never fall. I congratulate him wholeheartedly.

I will remind those who seek to falsely make this out to be an issue of one man or one country being singled out that it was NBC that was most harsh when the victorious USA men's 4x100 Olympic team celebrated in a most unbecoming manner in 2000, a sentiment quickly echoed by the US media, leading to an apology by said team.

Anyone who might question my praise and admiration for Bolt need only look at my broadcasts of his races dating back to May of this year, or any of the countless articles in which I have spoken in glowing terms about him.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

As I am on this - A GREAT BIG UP TO WILLI and HIS T&F site!

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussi...mark=20#204823

...also found among the RBSC's links at

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/links.aspx scroll down to

Non Football Sites For The RBSC FanCaribbean T & F Forum The ultimate in Track & Field talk</B>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Cho! Stay deh a beg forgiveness.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh5N5-LmH0w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhCe...eature=related
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

After reading it I thought it was a reasonable position, even if you disagree with him about when to celebrate.

I can't remember Ato showboating while running, so at least he is consistent with that.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Wait ... mi 'konfuse' .... nuh di same breddah pon NBC whey when a criticize the star of the Olympics ...Bolt? Smady need fi remind him bout these celebrations.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              After reading it I thought it was a reasonable position, even if you disagree with him about when to celebrate.

I can't remember Ato showboating while running, so at least he is consistent with that.
              Huh ... Check the videos in Jangle's post.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Ato backtracking now? So what's wrong with celebrating before? Bob Costas and and Ato ever criticise American footballers when they "showboat" before scoring a TD?

Foolishness Ato.
                Peter R

Comment

Cho Oto fe shut him trap. Showboating before/during or after the race is still showboating and he and Maurice Green were the Kings.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Ato only vex him neva destroy a field like Bolt..and cudden celebrate before him bus de tape.
                    Peter R

Comment

DURING the race. thats what the man says he has a problem with. Agree or disagree but it is not a ridiculous opinion to have.

"My stance as a track purist is that an athlete should celebrate as much as possible before and after, not during a race--simple as that."
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

If it's his opinoin then fine but why does he feel he needs to defend it? If it's his opinion him shouldn't defend it.

Comment

Come now lets be reasonable, is Ato an NFL analyst? Has he ever given an opinion on that?

I'm saying that unless someone can show me where he, Ato, celebrated and showboated before he finished a race, then I can respect his opinion.

Comment

Don't we do that on this forum every day?

If said "I see no reason to defend my position to anybody" then you would hear he is an arrogant Trini yankee-wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                              DURING the race. thats what the man says he has a problem with. Agree or disagree but it is not a ridiculous opinion to have.

"My stance as a track purist is that an athlete should celebrate as much as possible before and after, not during a race--simple as that."
                              Di youth won the race, set a new WR .... what more dem want?

Comment

Working...
                              X