• Show
Clear All

• Conte:The Beast Speaks on the Jamaicans

Conte: World Anti-Doping Agency needs to beef up offseason steroid testing

BY VICTOR CONTE
    Special to the Daily News
    Monday, August 18th 2008, 3:05 PM
    (Page 1 of 2)
    Victor Conte, the mastermind behind the BALCO steroid scandal, met with former WADA chairman Dick Pound in December to share inside information on athletes' doping practice. Conte believes more out-of-competition testing is needed to help curtail use of illegal performance-enchancing drugs.

On December 12, 2007, I advised WADA's Dick Pound to routinely send disguised drug testers to Jamaica, and to begin doing so immediately. I had received information about a specific drug supplier - WADA received this person's name, address and phone number - who was allegedly working with elite track athletes. I also explained to Pound the importance of "offseason" testing and that testing at competitions is ineffective. The offseason is when athletes use anabolic steroids in conjunction with intensive weight training and develop the explosive strength base that serves them throughout the competitive season.
    However, Pound stepped down as the Chairman of WADA just two weeks after our meeting. It now seems that others working with WADA, who actually conduct investigations and provide drug testing, have failed to act upon the information.

I have no evidence of doping by any of the winners of medals in Beijing, but when times begin falling like rain, questions arise, especially when the record-setters are from countries such as Jamaica and other Caribbean nations where there is no independent anti-doping federation. In the women's 100 meters, for instance, four of the eight finalists in the event were from such countries. Jamaican women swept all three Olympic medals: Shelly-Ann Frasier's winning time of 10.78 seconds is blazing fast, and reflects a drop from a best of 11.31 in 2007 to 10.78 in 2008, an improvement of more than five-tenths of a second in a single year and about five meters faster than before.

Jamaica's Usain Bolt won the men's 100-meter gold medal in a shocking world-record time of 9.69, which is almost unbelievable since he shut it down before the finish line. Richard Thompson from Trinidad and Tobango won the silver medal in a personal best time of 9.89. Once again, five out of the eight finalists in the men's 100-meter race were from an area where there is minimal out-of-season testing: five-of-six 100-meter medals were won by athletes from Caribbean countries without independent anti-doping federations.

Again, I have no knowledge that these individuals were involved in wrongdoing. All I know is that they and other athletes come from regions where minimal offseason testing is administered.

My message to Pound was based on the simple premise of doping in combination with strength training during the offseason. Here's how it works:
    The IAAF - track's governing body - claims to rarely collect offseason samples for drug testing in Caribbean countries, mainly collecting out-of-competition (OOC) samples between competitions during the European track circuit from May until September of each year. In my opinion, this is basically a waste of funds and the same as in-competition testing because there is no routine offseason testing from October to January, when athletes who are cheating use steroids in combination with intensive weight training.

Testing at competitions - and in between - is flawed because athletes who are using drugs have already tapered off. The IOC claims to be doing 4,500 tests in Beijing, but there have been only a handful of positives. In 2007, at the World Track and Field Championships in Osaka, Japan they did more than 1,000 drug tests and had zero positives. The testers are basically wasting their money. Testing at competitions is more about propaganda. They should spend at least 50% of the available funds doing offseason testing on the home soil of targeted athletes, such as those in the Caribbean who are winning all the medals.

There is a desperate need for each of the Caribbean countries to have an independent and fully functioning anti-doping federation. Until that is the case, the sprinters from these countries are going to continue to be under a cloud of suspicion.

I believe that these athletes need to be frequently drug tested on a random basis during the offseason, so that the cloud of suspicion can begin to move on. It's my opinion that more effective drug testing in the Caribbean will help to restore the credibility of entire sport of track and field.
    Last edited by Karl; August 18, 2008, 07:35 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

50% of the available funds doing offseason testing on the home soil of targeted athletes, such as those in the Caribbean who are winning all the medals.

What a WC budget on the carribbean (jamaica), so the other 50 % is spent on the rest of the world.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

With all his finger-pointing, I agree with him that there will always be a cloud over us as long as we don't have our own anti-doping organizations in place.

People are embarrased and they are looking for an explanation for what seems unbelievable to them.

He is making some serious allegations. He claims he knows about a drug supplier. Not good wether its true or not.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Conte?
        A liar and a shady character.

It is interesting to note that he throws
        On December 12, 2007, I advised WADA's Dick Pound to routinely send disguised drug testers to Jamaica, and to begin doing so immediately. I had received information about a specific drug supplier - WADA received this person's name, address and phone number - who was allegedly working with elite track athletes.
        out there.

The careless reader wll draw an inference that the alleged
        a specific drug supplier
        has been visiting and supplying
        drugs
        to some person or persons in Jamaica who is closely connected with a Jamaica athlete or more than one Jamaica athletes and or connected with a Jamaica athlete or Jamaica athletes. That I think is Conte's aim.

Yet man that he is Conte carefully goes on to lace his filth with
        I have no evidence of doping by any of the winners of medals in Beijing...and...Again, I have no knowledge that these individuals were involved in wrongdoing.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I wish I could dismiss everything the man says as easily as you do.

I don't like him because of what he has helped to do to the sport but I believed what he said about Marion Jones, Kelli White and Barry Bonds so I am not going to just decide he is making up everything he is saying about us.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            I wish I could dismiss everything the man says as easily as you do.

I don't like him because of what he has helped to do to the sport but I believed what he said about Marion Jones, Kelli White and Barry Bonds so I am not going to just decide he is making up everything he is saying about us.
            Well what has he said?

Answer: I have no facts...but...?!

The athletes you named? - He said about those athletes he had the facts and said he produced same. This new set of scurrilous charges do not fall in the same boat!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

He has said he has no facts about the specific athletes who medalled, but he has received specific information about a drug supplier working with some elite Jamaican athletes.

Don't get me wrong, he has no real proof but what bugs me is that I am starting to have a little bit of doubt now when i had none 3 days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                He has said he has no facts about the specific athletes who medalled, but he has received specific information about a drug supplier working with some elite Jamaican athletes.
                I have not re-read the post...but did he say the above? I am thinking that is what he wanted the reader to think he said...but never actually said so???

Comment

i can and have

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I wasn't trying to parse his words like a lawyer, but thats how I interpreted this:

"On December 12, 2007, I advised WADA's Dick Pound to routinely send disguised drug testers to Jamaica, and to begin doing so immediately. I had received information about a specific drug supplier - WADA received this person's name, address and phone number - who was allegedly working with elite track athletes"

Anyway, I guess I am just having difficulty dealing with why I so quickly believed what he said about Marion Jones, and I equally quickly want to believe he is lying now.

For now I still believe our athletes are clean.

Comment

the government just passed a law and they have created an anti doping commission. It is just for them to go to work.

You think that will make a big difference?
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

but don't you think Dick Pound or no Dick Pound this would have been follow through? Do you think Pound never believe him? or they follow it through and came up with nothing?
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It will help with the PR side of it if nothing else. That is going to be important if our athletes are to make the most of thier marketability.

Conte is giving the impression that it is a drug free-for-all in the Caribbean which we know is not true, but the absence of any anti-doping agencies helps him to create that image.

Comment

I would take his allegations with a grain of salt for this ex-con. However, if he has evidence of deliberate wrong doing, he should present his evidence to the Jamaican authorities.
                            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Sas, who knows really. He claims that it went on the back-burner after Pound.

Maybe he is making the whole thing up. I just wish I had a better motive to pin on him than "he don't like Caribbean people winning".

I have a lot of questions but not a lot of answers.

Comment

Working...
                              X