• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning-fast Bolt wins Olympic 100m American Walter Dix fi

Lightning-fast Bolt wins Olympic 100m

American Walter Dix finishes third in 9.91
    By Alan Abrahamson, NBCOlympics.com
    Posted Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:07 AM ET

BEIJING - Track and field needs a new hero.
    It got one Saturday night who can fly.

In the most outrageous display of speed to ever burn across the Olympic Games, Usain Bolt of Jamaica rocketed to gold in winning the men's 100m dash in 9.69 seconds -- not only a new world record but the first time in the history of human beings a man has run the distance under 9.7 seconds without a significant tailwind.

Incredibly, Bolt, 21, could have gone faster.

With a full seven strides to go, he dropped his arms and let them fall outstretched to his sides, appearing almost to run sideways as he played to the sold-out crowd of 91,000 at the Bird's Nest. Just before the finish line, he started high-stepping and, for good measure, executed a chest-thump.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackandf...s+olympic+100m
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

"If, as time goes on, Bolt proves clean -- the sport has been bedeviled by drugs, doping cases taking out the 2004 men's Olympic champion, Justin Gatlin, as well as the 2000 women's champ, Marion Jones -- then perhaps, just maybe, he's just what track and field needs."

From mi reach ya so mi tap read...cho!
    Peter R

Comment

I take it for what it is , the reality that millions of dollars of sponsorship is heading to Jamaica and Nike has to point a finger before they jump on the bandwagon.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

"If..he proves clean"...so what is the implication?

Maybe I'm being too touchy but you get a sense that Americans would do anything to bring any non-American hero down.
        Peter R

Comment

Did you al notice that he had the worst start in his career

The man also tripped at the start. I didnot like his showboating before the end of the race. He is not going to get a second chance to go under 9.6 as was expected by me after seeing him walking 9.72.

Comment

Why is he not going to get a second chance?

If I was Bolt I would do like Sergi Bubka used to do, break the record a little bit at a time, over and over and collect you coil a cash along the way.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

You are right , no doubt thats the implication .But expect it with Bolt being a PUMA sprinter.

Puma must be laughing all the way to the bank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjGrG...eature=related

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Just a sense? I get a smack right between the eyes!

If he was American he would "own" the second week of the coverage in the way that Phelps has owned the first half. And they wouldn't care if he was on drugs either.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

There is a line between "showboating" and confidence and joy at his performance. I prefer to think it's the latter. He has to send a message to his rivals...part of the mental aspect of the sport. And he is still humble enought to take pictures with the Trini and others. It's youthul exuberance you mistaking for showboating.

He said after that he was happy to have broken the record by a "small" margin rather than big...implying that he will lower the standard again.

And he's only 21, with a few Olympics left in him to mash it up again I'd think.
                  Peter R

Comment

True but my comfort is knowing NIKE hasnt won squat on the mens side and dont look like they will win any on the womens side , saving maybe the 400m and 4 & 400.

Imagine the Nike PROMOS GOING ON NOW ...LOLOL HAHA !

Comment

I'm pretty certain that Thompson the silver medalist is a Nike guy... if that counts.
                      Peter R

Comment

He also said Jamaica is going crazy , he knows the expectation of the Jamaican public , how he carries and wears that crown he knows the world and Jamaica is watching, in his interviews he is very humble, lets not forget that .

I see nothing wrong in celebrating after a win.The interview is what counts , he always gives his opponents respect.

Comment

Nah miss Quad fi di next two month!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Only GOLD count in these OLYMPIC hills

Comment

unnuh membah the "dan and dave" ads?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X