Track & Field Fans - A Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track & Field Fans - A Question

I was browsing the 'Net earlier this morning when I came across the following gem of an article. It appeared in a regional newspaper, The Nassau Guardian
    (http://www.thenassauguardian.com/spo...7628160241.php )

My question to the track and field fans here on the forum is this: In his comments on Jamaica, what major error did the writer of the article below make? I have to dash now, but I will sign back in later this evening to see if any sharp, knowledgeable track and field person has spotted the mistake . (Hint: This error made me very angry!)

SPORTS SCOPE - Bahamas hoping to surprise

By FRED STURRUP, NG Associate Editor, frederick@nasguard.com

At the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia, the Golden Girls were the rage. Pauline Davis, Chandra Sturrup, Debbie Ferguson, Savatheda Fynes and Eldeece Clarke provided the country with the best quality depth in the world. Sturrup, Ferguson and Clarke had sub-11 seconds 100 meters times on their records. Thompson and Fynes were around 11 seconds flat.

It was really an unbeatable mix and they put an exclamation point to their legacy with the gold medal win, expected by many for The Bahamas.

In 2004 at the Athens Olympics, Mexican Ana Guevara was a big name but most of the track and field experts doubted she could beat Tonique Williams-Darling. The local track queen proved her supporters right by clearly holding off Guevara and the rest of the field for gold.

This is 2008 and there are no such expectations for the Commonwealth of the Bahamas. We are in dark horse territory once again for the most part. Well, Chris Brown has a lot of fans around the world and experts figure The Bahamas to get into the 1600 relay medal group.

However the Americans are favored to dominate the relay and the open 400 metres.

Our sister nation Jamaica has been talked about in glowing terms as should be the case. The observers are saying Jamaican can win 12 medals. They are thinking of course that a big run will be made on the sprints, open and relays. Usain Bolt, Asafa Powell, Veronica Campbell, Sherone Simpson and Keron Stewart are names that jump out at you from that great Jamaican group.

I salute them all. Just as in 2000, we put three girls in the final of the 100 meters, Jamaica could do the same this time around. They will fiercely battle the United States' girls as will the Jamaican men do the same in the men's sprint relay.

We have no sprint relay teams.

The dark horse indeed we are. If defending world high jumper Donald Thomas finds his form and wins a medal, that would be great for us. Leevan Sands could hit a nice triple jumping groove at the right time. Our Golden Girls Debbie Ferguson and Chandra Sturrup have been there before, tasted success and are eager to do the same once more.

But yes, we are the dark horses.

In the men's sprint, we have Derrick Atkins. He makes up a formidable Caribbean men's sprinting force, the greatest ever. Atkins, Bolt and Powell are joined also by Trinidadians Darrel Brown and Marc Burns. Out of Jamaica and Trinidad are also a few other sprinters who could do well.

But again, even though he won a silver medal, beating Powell in the process last year at the World Championships, Atkins is a dark horse.
    So, that's where The Bahamas is this time.

Dark horses do surprise at times though.

Let's see what happens.

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    I was browsing the 'Net earlier this morning when I came across the following gem of an article. It appeared in a regional newspaper, The Nassau Guardian
    (http://www.thenassauguardian.com/spo...7628160241.php )

My question to the track and field fans here on the forum is this: In his comments on Jamaica, what major error did the writer of the article below make? I have to dash now, but I will sign back in later this evening to see if any sharp, knowledgeable track and field person has spotted the mistake . (Hint: This error made me very angry!)

SPORTS SCOPE - Bahamas hoping to surprise

By FRED STURRUP, NG Associate Editor, frederick@nasguard.com

At the 2000 Olympics in Sydney, Australia, the Golden Girls were the rage. Pauline Davis, Chandra Sturrup, Debbie Ferguson, Savatheda Fynes and Eldeece Clarke provided the country with the best quality depth in the world. Sturrup, Ferguson and Clarke had sub-11 seconds 100 meters times on their records. Thompson and Fynes were around 11 seconds flat.

It was really an unbeatable mix and they put an exclamation point to their legacy with the gold medal win, expected by many for The Bahamas.

In 2004 at the Athens Olympics, Mexican Ana Guevara was a big name but most of the track and field experts doubted she could beat Tonique Williams-Darling. The local track queen proved her supporters right by clearly holding off Guevara and the rest of the field for gold.

This is 2008 and there are no such expectations for the Commonwealth of the Bahamas. We are in dark horse territory once again for the most part. Well, Chris Brown has a lot of fans around the world and experts figure The Bahamas to get into the 1600 relay medal group.

However the Americans are favored to dominate the relay and the open 400 metres.

Our sister nation Jamaica has been talked about in glowing terms as should be the case. The observers are saying Jamaican can win 12 medals. They are thinking of course that a big run will be made on the sprints, open and relays. Usain Bolt, Asafa Powell, Veronica Campbell, Sherone Simpson and Keron Stewart are names that jump out at you from that great Jamaican group.

I salute them all. Just as in 2000, we put three girls in the final of the 100 meters, Jamaica could do the same this time around. They will fiercely battle the United States' girls as will the Jamaican men do the same in the men's sprint relay.

We have no sprint relay teams.

The dark horse indeed we are. If defending world high jumper Donald Thomas finds his form and wins a medal, that would be great for us. Leevan Sands could hit a nice triple jumping groove at the right time. Our Golden Girls Debbie Ferguson and Chandra Sturrup have been there before, tasted success and are eager to do the same once more.

But yes, we are the dark horses.

In the men's sprint, we have Derrick Atkins. He makes up a formidable Caribbean men's sprinting force, the greatest ever. Atkins, Bolt and Powell are joined also by Trinidadians Darrel Brown and Marc Burns. Out of Jamaica and Trinidad are also a few other sprinters who could do well.

But again, even though he won a silver medal, beating Powell in the process last year at the World Championships, Atkins is a dark horse.
    So, that's where The Bahamas is this time.

Dark horses do surprise at times though.

Let's see what happens.
    Didnt we put 3 finalists in Sydney?

And all placed higher too. My doubt is Bev in the 100m as Merlene was 4th and Tayna was 3rd before upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
      Didnt we put 3 finalists in Sydney?

And all placed higher too. My doubt is Bev in the 100m as Merlene was 4th and Tayna was 3rd before upgrades.
      Thanks for taking the time to reply, Willi.

You certainly spotted the writer's (deliberate or genuine oversight) error!

We only had two ladies in the finals in Sydney (Merlene and Tayna). However, in 2004 in Athens we had three ladies in the finals of the 100-meter dash: Veronica Campbell (bronze medal), Aleen Bailey (fifth) and Sherone Simpson (sixth).

It was probably an error by the writer caused by lack of research. But errors like this irritate me, particularly because of the impression that it can give of Jamaica vs. the Bahamas! And we here all know the reality of things!

Comment

Working...
      X