Relays: Don't Forget Trinidad!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relays: Don't Forget Trinidad!!

So, the men's 4x100-meter relays in Beijing will be a battle for the gold between two teams, the USA and Jamaica? If that's your view, I apologize for bursting your bubble this morning. Just look at the following comparison of the 2008 season’s best performances below! I'm listing only the top three athletes from each country.

And oh yeah, sprint relay running is not only about foot speed, but also smooth baton passing as well, right? Well guess what, the Trinis have been working on that for a long while now, and most likely already have it down pat!

Jamaica:
    9.72 - Usain Bolt (JAM)
    9.82 - Asafa Powell (JAM)
    10.00 - Michael Frater (JAM)

The USA:
    9.77 - Tyson Gay (USA)
    9.89 - Darvis Patton (USA)
    9.96 – Walter Dix (USA)

Trinidad:
    9.93 - Richard Thompson (TRI)
    9.97 - Marc Burns (TRI)
    10.02 – Darrel Brown (TRI)

Ever since France broke the 4x100 WR in the 90s without even one really elite 100m sprinter I have realised you can never write off a team with even average speed at this level if they have really spent time on baton changing.

T&T could certainly win it all with a little luck.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The TT team ran a flat 38.00 in one of the recent meets (forget which one) leading up to the Olympics...not too shabby.
      Peter R

Comment

London Grand Prix.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Thanks.
          Peter R

Comment

Are you in TT? Call me.

Comment

Nesta Carter! (My Bad!)

I just realized that I made an error when I posted the 2008 top three times by Jamaican sprinters this morning. I was focusing on the three guys who will represent us in the individual 100-meter dash and completely forgot about Nesta Carter. The corrected list is:

9.72 - Usain Bolt (JAM)
              9.82 - Asafa Powell (JAM)
              9.98 – Nesta Carter (JAM)

Nesta ran that in Stockholm last month.

With smooth, accurate baton changes, there's no reason why our first Olympic Games men's 4x100-meter relay gold medal isn't possible!

Comment

Poor Nesta. Such a powerful name but we always seem to forget him.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Carter ?

Maybe Cartier...

Comment

Working...
                  X