• Show
Clear All

• Ottey in final attempt to reach Beijing

Ottey, 48, in final attempt to reach 8th Games

• Reuters
    • , Friday July 18 2008

VETERAN
    Ottey, 48, in Final Attempt to Reach 8th Games

LJUBLJANA, July 18 (Reuters) - Jamaican-born sprinter Merlene Ottey will race twice in four days in a last-ditch effort to become the first athlete to take part in eight Olympic Games.
    Ottey, 48, will run at meetings in the Slovenian city of Maribor on Saturday and Tuesday in an attempt to achieve the Olympic 100 metres qualifying time by the deadline on Wednesday.
    Ottey has taken part in every Olympics since the 1980 Games in Moscow and her tally of eight medals is more than any other woman in track and field. She competed for Slovenia at the 2004 Games after six Olympics with Jamaica.
    "Of course she wants to run at these (Beijing) Games because she would be the first ever to participate at eight consecutive Olympics," Ottey's Slovenia coach Srdjan Djordjevic told Reuters.
    "If there are ideal weather conditions, she could qualify."
    He said Ottey has been suffering for years from an allergy that usually starts in April or May and ends in the second half of July. Ottey, who became a Slovenian citizen in 2002, has also won 14 world championship medals, including two titles.
    At the 2000 Olympics, Ottey won a silver in the relay for Jamaica to become the oldest female track and field Olympic medallist.
    She also has a 100 metres bronze from the same Games after her U.S. rival Marion Jones last year admitted to taking steroids and returned her medals from the Sydney Games.
    Ottey won her first medal - one of a record five bronzes - in Moscow 28 years ago. She has yet to win an Olympic gold. (Reporting by Marja Novak; Editing by Robert Woodward)

Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Merlene thru the years

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Merlene deserves a gold for this race. The Greek who came in second had her own doping issues.

Marion Jones from the USA celebrates her win after passing Ekaterini Thanou (left) from Greece and Merlene Ottey (right) from Jamaica in the women's 100 m final at the Olympic Games on Saturday. — Reuters photo

Comment

Merlene Needs to Stop!!!!!

There is no question in my mind that Merlene Ottey is my all-time favorite Jamaican sports person (immediately above my second all-time favorite, Veronica Campbell-Brown). From my days as a youth until the year 2000, Merlene gave me immense pride in being a Jamaican. Simply put, I will always love and admire this icon of Jamaica!

Sadly, however, Merlene is now running (no pun intended) the very real risk of going down in history as a pathetic, comedic character! Her mistake is that she didn’t bow out gracefully at the end of the Sydney Olympic Games, or soon after. Isn’t it much better to be remembered while you are on top?

To cite a somewhat unfortunate and unusual example, can you imagine what a 60-plus year-old Bob Marley would be like today? The answer: Just another old man enjoying the fruits of his peak years. However, Bob, fighting all the way, died at the early age of 36, at the very peak of his career. The result? Bob is today a folk hero and a bona fide Third World superstar!

Better to leave while you are on top!!

Comment

She should stop even though she meets the qualifications ??

Suppose she love di sinting ?

Not to mention anneda record...

Comment

I always find it hilarious when people think an athlete should stop because they will tarnish their "legacy". These people usually don't care one bit that the individual enjoys what they are doing and has a passion for it.

Comment

She should run. If she make it to the olympics you know what that would do for her image and women her age?

It shows the talent she still have at that age. Just the other day it was a big thing in America as a 41 year old diver qualified for the olympics. The same drive she has now is the same drive that made her competitive.

Go Merlene Go.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Too late to quit while she is on top

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                There is no question in my mind that Merlene Ottey is my all-time favorite Jamaican sports person (immediately above my second all-time favorite, Veronica Campbell-Brown). From my days as a youth until the year 2000, Merlene gave me immense pride in being a Jamaican. Simply put, I will always love and admire this icon of Jamaica!

Sadly, however, Merlene is now running (no pun intended) the very real risk of going down in history as a pathetic, comedic character! Her mistake is that she didn’t bow out gracefully at the end of the Sydney Olympic Games, or soon after. Isn’t it much better to be remembered while you are on top?

To cite a somewhat unfortunate and unusual example, can you imagine what a 60-plus year-old Bob Marley would be like today? The answer: Just another old man enjoying the fruits of his peak years. However, Bob, fighting all the way, died at the early age of 36, at the very peak of his career. The result? Bob is today a folk hero and a bona fide Third World superstar!

Better to leave while you are on top!!
                Ottey is no where near the top now ... If she cam make the qualifying time then she may as well try for the final time

Signed
                Time
                The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Is Toots Hibbert embarrassing himself? Is Jimmy Cliff embarrassng himself? Historian...cho man!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Simply that!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you ever seen the Rolling Stones?

A bunch a grand dads a run round pon stage
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

According to my research she as to run 11.4 to meet the "B" standard. Her best time this year so far is 11.8...stilll damn good for a 48 yr old! Point is, qualification isn't looking good.

Good luck Merlene...as you is mi playmate (age-wise), mi a root fi yuh!
                        Peter R

Comment

I concur with everybody on this thread, Historian mek she gwaan run.

Comment

You go young girl!!! You will ALWAYS be a JAMAICAN!!!!
                            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
                            X