• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maurice Greene praises Lee

Maurice Greene praises Lee

Anthony Foster, Freelance Writer

( L - R ) Dexter Lee, Maurice Greene - File
    BYDGOSZCZ, Poland:
    Olympic Games gold medallist, American Maurice Greene, said Dexter Lee showed execution is a key part of doing well in sprinting.
    Greene, who won the Sydney Olympic Games 100m title, said there was "a lot of talk as to who is going to win" Wednesday's World Junior Championships 100m final. Lee, who last year won the World Youth 100m title, added the World Junior crown on Wed-nesday night with a well-executed 10.40-second run.
    "As he (Lee) showed, once you get in and execute well, you can win," explained Greene, who had touted compatriot Terrell Wilks to win. Wilks finished third in 10.45.

Very proud
    Greene, a former world record holder at 9.79 seconds, said everyone was talking about Blake, but "Lee got a good start and ran away from everyone."
    "This is the future of our sport. You got a big shoe to fill," Greene told Lee.
    Lee, who is still learning to embrace the title of double world champion, hopes to be the Olympic champion one day.
    "To win the Olympic would be the next goal for me," he said while making it clear "I am very proud of myself.
    "I went into the race, knowing that if I get a good start, I would win - and it did pay off." Lee joined Veronica Campbell-Brown as the only Jamaicans to win 100m gold at the World Youth and World Junior Championships.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
Working...
X