• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blake, Lee in 100m final

Blake, Lee in 100m final
    BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer reidp@jamaicaobserver.com
    Wednesday, July 09, 2008

BYDGOSZCZ, Poland - National Junior record-holder Yohan Blake and World Youth Champion Dexter Lee will start Jamaica's medal hunt at the 12th IAAF World Junior Championships on today's second day after qualifying for the final of the Men's 100m at the Stadium Zdzislawa here yesterday.
    Both Jamaicans clocked identical 10.42 seconds in their semi-final heats on yesterday's opening day, Blake cruising to an easy win and Lee - who had a scare in the morning session - taking the second automatic qualifying spot in his second-round heat.
    BYDGOSZCZ, Poland - National Junior record-holder Yohan Blake wins his semi-final heat in the Men's 100 metres in 10.42 seconds at the IAAF World Junior Championships at the Stadium Zdzislawa yesterday. (Photo: Paul Reid)
    Earlier, in his first-round heat, Blake clocked 10.56secs, but Lee, who led comfortably, shut down early and was third in 10.65 after a slow start, but advanced as one of the fastest losers.
    A confident Blake, who won bronze two years ago in Beijing, spoke of lowering his national record (10.11 seconds) today, saying that after being three months away from the track, he felt in good condition.
    "I feel very good right now.my coaches are looking at a fast time...and I'm looking to run crazy in the final," he told the Observer.
    A more sedate Lee admitted he made a mistake in the first round, but said he was just looking to run his best as his time "was good for a semi-final".
    Lee's race was held up by two false starts - the second resulting in the disqualification of Antonio Sales of the USA.
    The weather was fickle on the opening day as after starting under bright sunshine, it become cloudy, then started raining just after midday during the men's 100m heats. It eased somewhat, but during the afternoon session, it was noticeably cooler, forcing even the natives to pull out windbreakers.
    The first two finals were contested yesterday. Germany's David Storl won the shot put with 21.08m to go with his World Youth title, while the Ethiopian pair of Sule Utura and Genzebe Dibaba - the youngest of the famous family of female runners - were first and second in the women's 5,000m. Utura won in 16 minutes, 15:59 seconds.
    However, despite the success of the Jamaican male sprinters, it was a tough day for the Jamaicans, as only two other athletes advanced past the first round of their events.
    Long jumper Tarick Batchelor advanced to today's final, while just one of the four quarter-milers, Latoya McDermott, made it past the first round into today's second round.
    McDermott, a silver medallist at the World Youth Games last year, ran 54.62 seconds for fifth in her heat, just off her season's best 54.50 seconds at Trials three weeks ago. She advanced as one of the fastest losers.
    Trials winner, 16-year-old Antonique Campbell, also finished fifth in her heat in 56.27 seconds.
    The male duo also failed to get past the first round as Kevin Williams was fourth in his heat in 48.42 seconds, while Akino Ming was eighth and last in his heat in 49.02.
    Both female 100m runners, Kaycea Jones and Shawna Anderson of Edwin Allen, managed to get to the semi-finals where they finished down the track and out of contention.
    Neither had stamped her class on the event, advancing via the best losers' route. They later told the Observer they were disappointed with their performances, but were looking forward to the relays later this week.
    It was also difficult going for the middle-distance athletes as 800m winner, Natoya Goule, faded in the last 300 metres to finish fifth in 2:09.55 in her heat after leading the first lap in 1:03.63 minutes.
    She later told reporters she got boxed-in on the last turn for home and could not get into the clear to make a run for home.
    Unlike what he did at the World Youths last year, Kemoy Campbell completed the 1,500m but well down the track in 10th place in 4:03.80 minutes after he led the field with two laps to go.
    Batchelor advanced to the final on his final attempt, a wind aided 7.36m (2.w2m/s) after jumping 7.14m on his first attempt in pool A and fouling his second attempt.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

the finals nuh run yet.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

09 July 2008 - 20:10
      Wind: -0.8 m/s

PositionLaneBibAthleteCountryMark. React13412Dexter Lee JAM10.40 . 0.18826646Wilhelm van der Vyver RSA10.42 . 0.14434845Terrell Wilks USA10.45 . 0.18445408Yohan Blake JAM10.51 . 0.20057716Benjamin Olsson SWE10.67 . 0.15268127David Lescay CUB10.71 . 0.17972692Shehan Abeypitiyage SRI10.71 . 0.21781104Kemar Hyman CAY10.79 . 0.154

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi a wonder if Yohan Blake suffer from Asafa Syndrome?!? 10.5?!?! At least Lee win fi wi!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

a true a Poland him a run man. West Africans nuh do so well a dem country

Just kidding. I hope they run good in the final.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

wasn't that the final?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

di guy who come second...from RSA...him black or white?

Comment

Congrats to Lee!!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                Mi a wonder if Yohan Blake suffer from Asafa Syndrome?!? 10.5?!?! At least Lee win fi wi!
                Blake is coming off injury & inactivity... obviously hard to run at the highest level after that... plus he apparently had a bad start judging from the reaction times.. while Lee got off to a flyer.

Respek to both... Lee especially.
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

as di driven snow! blow mi argument outta di wata!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

IAAF report on Lee's win

Wednesday, 09 July 2008
                    World Youth champion Lee upsets older sprinters and secures World junior title

Dexter Lee of Jamaica wins the 100m final (Getty Images)
                    The latest battle in the “war of the sprints” between the top two nations was again won by Jamaica as Dexter Lee took victory in the men’s 100m.

Last year Lee won the World Youth title, and here he upset the form book with a victory by 0.02 seconds in a time of 10.40. South Africa’s Wilhem van der Vyver was second, with American Terrell Wilks, who was quickest in the semi-finals, winning bronze with 10.45.

Coming into the event, Lee was outside the 2008 top-10 rankings, which included five Americans. The smart money was on Wilks, Van Der Vyver or the other Jamaican, Yohan Blake, the bronze medallist two years ago.

However, by holding off a late charge from the South African, Lee helped continue the Jamaican dominance of the world sprint scene. Jamaica’s Usain Bolt took the World record of compatriot Asafa Powell earlier this year and then the tiny Caribbean nation outdid the Americans with their respective times at their Olympic trials.

“It feels good to get one over on the Americans,” said Lee, whose idol is Powell and who was introduced to sprinting by his older brother, also a sprinter. He was not short of confidence either. “I knew I could win this race, I’m not too surprised,” he said.

“It’s been my goal to be World junior champion and now my next big goal is to make the Olympic team one day,” he added.

Lee’s time was the slowest winning clocking in any of the 12 editions of these championships. But Lee said after running into a wind of 0.8m/s on a cool night: “The conditions were very poor, that’s why the winning time was slow.”

Van Der Vyver, who came into the race with a PB of 10.30, set at altitude, said: “My start was better than expected and after that everything came together well.”

Click here for event by event reports of all finals

Paul Halford for the IAAF
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

yes it was.

The latest battle in the “war of the sprints” between the top two nations was again won by Jamaica as Dexter Lee took victory in the men’s 100m.

Last year Lee won the World Youth title, and here he upset the form book with a victory by 0.02 seconds in a time of 10.40. South Africa’s Wilhem van der Vyver was second, with American Terrell Wilks, who was quickest in the semi-finals, winning bronze with 10.45.

Coming into the event, Lee was outside the 2008 top-10 rankings, which included five Americans. The smart money was on Wilks, Van Der Vyver or the other Jamaican, Yohan Blake, the bronze medallist two years ago.

However, by holding off a late charge from the South African, Lee helped continue the Jamaican dominance of the world sprint scene. Jamaica’s Usain Bolt took the World record of compatriot Asafa Powell earlier this year and then the tiny Caribbean nation outdid the Americans with their respective times at their Olympic trials.

“It feels good to get one over on the Americans,” said Lee, whose idol is Powell and who was introduced to sprinting by his older brother, also a sprinter. He was not short of confidence either. “I knew I could win this race, I’m not too surprised,” he said.

“It’s been my goal to be World junior champion and now my next big goal is to make the Olympic team one day,” he added.

Lee’s time was the slowest winning clocking in any of the 12 editions of these championships. But Lee said after running into a wind of 0.8m/s on a cool night: “The conditions were very poor, that’s why the winning time was slow.”

Van Der Vyver, who came into the race with a PB of 10.30, set at altitude, said: “My start was better than expected and after that everything came together well.”

Paul Halford for the IAAF

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What happen to Blake?

Wasn't he in the race?

Congrats to Lee

Comment

Blake?! More important tings to talk bout, sass?

A chiney man win (Lee) and a white South African come second. What a ting!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Dexter Lee (2nd R) of Jamaica crosses the line to win from 2nd placed Wilhelm van der Vyver (L) of South Africa and 3rd placed Terrell Wilks (C) of USA during the final of the men's 100m during day two of the 12th IAAF World Junior Championships at the Zawisca Stadium on July 9, 2008 in Bydgoszcz, Poland.
                            (Photo by Hamish Blair/Getty Images Europe)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

mi tell you, the father work mystically.

Yesterday man a say the Chinee genes nuh have no sprinter mi can name and BAM INNA Islandman face.

truth be told me use to think mi see the last of White heavyweight champion a while back until the russian them tek over.

Comment

Working...
                              X