X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay stays number 2!

Gay stays number 2!

"The only way Asafa Powell can beat Tyson Gay is to trip him!"
    When I read in the Gleaner some weeks ago that US athletic star Michael Johnson made some statement to that effect, I searched for his picture online so I could look on his face when ah tell him fi move and guwey!
    I said some other words to his picture as well, but those not fit for print. Mi did bringle bad, bad, bad man! Johnson went seven degrees beyond the point of renk and facety and outa-order!
    But I wasn't just bristling with annoyance because of his sneering attitude to our star Asafa. I was also irritated by the arrogance of his implied suggestions, like him feel seh Gay is unbeatable. Who fool him?
    It may be nigh impossible to get in our big man's cabinet if Tyson's last name is your nature, but mi nuh tink so hard fi Gay get put ina him number two place inna a big race with Asafa!

Unbridled conceit
    To me, Johnson's comment reeked of the unbridled conceit that unfortunately accompanies some top US athletes most of the time. That conceit which makes some of their pronouncements fit for comparison to the gaseous emissions that make you fan your nose in disgust and demand that the perpetrator excuse himself.
    But time longer than rope star. I always knew it was just a matter of time before somebody else joins Asafa to ensure that when Gay gets beaten, the notion of his superiority would be emphatically challenged.
    Well ah cyaan tell yu how it sweet me when the youth from Trelawny stretch out him lengthy strides pon dem at the Reebok Grand Prix in NY last weekend.
    It was as if the 21-year-old streak of human lightening just look pon people like Michael Johnson and ask: 'a wah yu a do? Dis Jamaican? You sane? Going show yu how big man run!"

Stay a back
    Yeah man, in true Jamaican style, wi show him another way to make Gay stay a back, without even having Asafa in the race. Wi 'Bolt' him with something different, so even without our biggest sprinter present, Gay was firmly placed in the position behind number one.
    I join all Jamaica in sending heartiest congrats to Usain Bolt. We are proud and happy that the record and title passed from a yard man to a next yard man. But respect is due to Mr Gay. There's no denying that he's a superlative sprinter.
    He's the reigning world champion and he has been consistent. No one can take that away from him.
    Still, with all his talk about the gold medal being more important, I'm sure he'd also love to claim the title of 'world's fastest human being'.
    It must be part of the dream. And now there's a second Jamaican making the realisation of that dream more difficult. Exciting story, eh? But as Natasha says in her remarkably beautiful and powerfully poetic song, 'the rest is still unwritten'.
    Were I the author, I'd write it so that come Beijing, we show dem di real deal and give them the full hundred. Hey, just imagine it, Asafa Powell and Usain Bolt tying for first in the finals of the prestigious sprint event at this year's Olympic Games! Wow, that would really be wonderful fi true. And guess who'd be holding position as number 2?

box-mi-back@hotmail.com

Last edited by Tilla; June 4, 2008, 11:36 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

The sad truth is that Tyson Gay is really a humble young man. He knows his limitations and always defers and gives credit (publicly) to Asafa and now Bolt. The arrogance from the past American sprinters puts him at a disadvatage.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

He is truly a good man and a great sprinter. (Let's hope he doesn't get caught cheating later on.)

The way he ran down Bolt the other day, truss mi, if Bolt did hitch... Tyson is a great competitor indeed!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

this is true.....but when yuh last name is gay...yuh bettah humble!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I really like how Gay carries himself , and Bolt and Asafa also.The sport doesnt need ugly bantering.

The Hype is there without it.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Wow! I kinda felt it all along, I guess!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
            X