• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veronica dust out Lauryn and Allyson!

Ver tops strong field in 100m
    published: Monday | May 19, 2008

Anthony Foster, Freelance Writer

Jamaica's Veronica Campbell-Brown (right) crosses the finish line, in front of American Lauryn Williams, to win the women's 100 metres during the Adidas Track Classic at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, yesterday. Campbell-Brown won in 11.14 seconds and Williams finished second with 11.15. - AP
    California, USA:
    Jamaica's Veronica Campbell-Brown scored a narrow victory against a star-studded field in the women's 100 metres at the Adidas Classic, held at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California, yesterday.

Campbell-Brown held her nerve after two false starts to win in 11.14 seconds. American Lauryn Williams, the 2005 World champion, was second in 11.15, and Kerron Stewart took third in 11.16. Allyson Felix, the world leader at 10.93, was fourth in 11.21.

Campbell-Brown said it was a good race. "I thought I executed well, maybe there are still a few things to work on, but after I review the race, coach and I will work that out," added the World champion. "I wish it was faster, because I ran 11.02 last week and I like to keep running faster every time," she added.

Bad start
    Like Campbell-Brown, Stewart also felt she could have done better. "I cannot complain, it was just a bad start," she said. "These things happen and you just have to learn from it."

Novlene Williams was the second Jamaican winner at the meet. She crossed the line in 50.38 to take the women's 400m. Shereefa Lloyd was third in 50.93 and Sonita Sutherland, seventh in 52.03. American Mary Wineberg was second in 50.41.
    Williams was pleased with her run.

In the 100m B races, only Steve Mullings featured among the top three. Mullings (10.20) finished second in the men's event, behind American Rodney Martin (10.13). Dwight Thomas, who was among the top three early, pulled up 30 metres from the line and walked home in 14.09.

On the women's side, Aleen Bailey was fifth in 11.50 as Bahamian Debbie Ferguson-McKenzie won in 11.18.

In the men's 400m hurdles, Dean Griffiths, was eighth in 50.76. American Bershawn Jackson won the event in 48.94.

Vonette Dixon had a season best, 12.75 for fourth, in the women's 100m hurdles, which was won by Olympic champion Joanna Hayes (12.64). Lacena Golding-Clarke (13.08) was eighth.

No challengers
    None of the Jamaicans, Ricardo Chambers (45.29) for fifth and Michael Blackwood (45.78) in seventh spot were able to challenge winner Jeremy Wariner of the United States in the men's 400m. Wariner won in 44.42. Omar Brown (21.07) was seventh in the men's 200m won by Tyson Gay (20.08). Gay had earlier won the men's 100m in 10.05.
    Last edited by Karl; May 19, 2008, 11:08 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER
Working...
X