Stunning News - Henin quits!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stunning News - Henin quits!

(CNN) -- World number one Justine Henin is quitting professional tennis with immediate effect, she told a press conference in Belgium on Wednesday.

Henin dominated women's tennis in 2007 but has suffered shock defeats this season.

"I have decided to put an end to my tennis-playing career," she said, confirming earlier reports in the Belgian press that she was bowing out while still at the top of the world rankings.

"This is the end of a child's dream," Henin told the Associated Press.
    "This is a definitive decision. Those who know me know it is serious," she added.

Henin, who is 26 on June 1, has headed the official WTA rankings for 117 consecutive weeks.

She has won seven grand slams and was due to defend her French Open title later this month.

But she withdrew from this week's big clay court tournament in Rome, citing fatigue, only a day after being upset by Russian Dinara Safina in the third round of the German Open.

Her previous appearance on WTA Tour came in the first week of April when she was thrashed 6-2 6-0 by Serena Williams in the Miami quarterfinals

Henin was the dominant player in the women's game last year, winning 10 of 14 tournaments, including two grand grand slams and became the first player in history to win more than $5 million in a season.

She began 2008 with a fine victory in the Sydney International, but a quarterfinal defeat to eventual winner Maria Sharapova in the Australian Open signaled the start of a difficult season which has also been blighted by injury.

Her retirement comes a year after her great Belgian rival Kim Clijsters quit competitive tennis to get married and become a mother.

Henin has reached the top despite a troubled personal life -- her mother died in 1995, her father did not speak to her for eight years and she divorced in 2007.

She has won all the grand slams except Wimbledon and took Olympic gold in Athens in 2004,

Men's tennis legend John McEnroe once said that she had the best backhand in game and over the years it has proved her signature shot.
    Last edited by Karl; May 14, 2008, 03:08 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Wonder if there is a little more there than meets the eye?
    She is without doubt one of the greats!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I wonder if she is sipping on some illegal juice and don't want to be found out. I have never heard of any druggist in tennis................why?
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
        I wonder if she is sipping on some illegal juice and don't want to be found out. I have never heard of any druggist in tennis................why?
        That is the question, "why"?
        She is by recent record, on top her game...soooooo, why now?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Her Bjorn Borg impersonation?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

She could be pregnant.
            pr
            Peter R

Comment

yeah man...i think rusedksi had some banned substances issue once....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

she could be.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  yeah man...i think rusedksi had some banned substances issue once....
                  Also, the skinny Czech...Peter Korda and a Sth American too, maybe Canas?

Comment

Working...
                  X