Marlon Samuels gets two year ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlon Samuels gets two year ban

Other players from other Federations who committed similar offenses seem to have received much lighter punishment. What do you think?
    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Marlon Samuels banned for two years

I don't know the details but it seems harsh for a transgression that hasn't been proven.

pr
    Peter R

Comment

It seems more than proven. Despite the presence of Churchill Neita, QC, in his corner, the case appeared to be an open and shut one for the WICB.

To me, it demonstrates Marlon's legendary dunceness.

Samuels' ban disappointing, unfortunate, says Hendriks
      ANDREW HANCEL, Observer staff reporter hancela@jamaicaobserver.com
      Tuesday, May 13, 2008

HENDRIKS. that's the ruling of the committee and there's nothing much we can do about it
      Jackie Hendriks, president of the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA), has described the guilty verdict handed down against Marlon Samuels as "disappointing and unfortunate".
      Samuels, 27, a talented West Indies middle-order batsman, was found guilty by the disciplinary committee of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) following a hearing on Friday.
      With a majority vote of 3-1, Samuels was found guilty of violating article 4 (ix) of the ICC Rules and Conduct that states: "Received any money, benefit or other reward (whether financial or otherwise) which could bring him or the game of cricket into disrepute."
      The penalty carries a minimum mandatory sentence of two years.
      Upon hearing the news, Hendriks was understanding of the decision handed by the panel chaired by Caribbean judge Justice Adrian Saunders, Professor Aubrey Bishop, Dr Lloyd Barnett and player representative Richie Richardson.
      "Marlon must be terribly disappointed. It must be a bad thing to be banned for two years, especially for a fellow who has been sort of a standout where our cricket is concerned," Hendriks, who is a WICB director, told the Observer yesterday.
      "I find it very disappointing and unfortunate. But that's the ruling of the committee and there's nothing much we can do about it," he said.
      As it relates to the ban, Hendriks said he was uncertain if it includes "all cricket under the aegis" of the regional and world governing bodies.
      But ICC media manager Brian Murgatroyd, replying to an Observer query, said: "My understanding of the ban is that it extends to all cricket classed as official and unofficial, that is international and under the auspices of ICC Member boards."
      This means Samuels, who was recently banned from bowling by the ICC, has been disqualified from playing the game at any ICC-sanctioned level at least for the next two years.
      Meanwhile, Hendriks informed the Observer that the JCA will need to look at ways to assist the player during his time of isolation from the game. And with the JCA holding its regular executive meeting today, it will be a priority topic at the meeting, he said.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

lickylickitis?!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Maybe if he's forced to find a day job he might appreciate his cricket and return a better player. He's still young and not without redemption. And does the ICC give time reduced for good behaviour?

BTW I see Shoaib Ahktar playing in the IPL.

pr
          Peter R

Comment

based on what i've read, he is deserving of the ban... considering the transgression, he is lucky its only the 2 years minimum... there is no place in any professional sports for his actions... a demonstrated lack of discipline on his part...
            'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

27? He ain't young! Time for him to act like smaddy wid sense!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Samuels act like somebody wise and with sense? lol...This fellow has had serious issues since his KC days. I do not see any chnage coming.

Comment

Well, he's old enough to know better. But, 29 not to old for Test cricket ...

BTW Is Brendan Nash too old to get a call up?

pr
                  Peter R

Comment

It might only get worse. I know a lot of Jamaicans couldn't care less if he was permanently banned.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nash? Maybe he needs to stop being so modest and play the fool. The rest of them have all got callups.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Brendan need to work on a deeeep tan.

Comment

KC ?

Oooh... no wondah.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            It seems more than proven. Despite the presence of Churchill Neita, QC, in his corner, the case appeared to be an open and shut one for the WICB.

To me, it demonstrates Marlon's legendary dunceness.

Samuels' ban disappointing, unfortunate, says Hendriks
                            ANDREW HANCEL, Observer staff reporter hancela@jamaicaobserver.com
                            Tuesday, May 13, 2008

HENDRIKS. that's the ruling of the committee and there's nothing much we can do about it
                            Jackie Hendriks, president of the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA), has described the guilty verdict handed down against Marlon Samuels as "disappointing and unfortunate".
                            Samuels, 27, a talented West Indies middle-order batsman, was found guilty by the disciplinary committee of the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) following a hearing on Friday.
                            With a majority vote of 3-1, Samuels was found guilty of violating article 4 (ix) of the ICC Rules and Conduct that states: "Received any money, benefit or other reward (whether financial or otherwise) which could bring him or the game of cricket into disrepute."
                            The penalty carries a minimum mandatory sentence of two years.
                            Upon hearing the news, Hendriks was understanding of the decision handed by the panel chaired by Caribbean judge Justice Adrian Saunders, Professor Aubrey Bishop, Dr Lloyd Barnett and player representative Richie Richardson.
                            "Marlon must be terribly disappointed. It must be a bad thing to be banned for two years, especially for a fellow who has been sort of a standout where our cricket is concerned," Hendriks, who is a WICB director, told the Observer yesterday.
                            "I find it very disappointing and unfortunate. But that's the ruling of the committee and there's nothing much we can do about it," he said.
                            As it relates to the ban, Hendriks said he was uncertain if it includes "all cricket under the aegis" of the regional and world governing bodies.
                            But ICC media manager Brian Murgatroyd, replying to an Observer query, said: "My understanding of the ban is that it extends to all cricket classed as official and unofficial, that is international and under the auspices of ICC Member boards."
                            This means Samuels, who was recently banned from bowling by the ICC, has been disqualified from playing the game at any ICC-sanctioned level at least for the next two years.
                            Meanwhile, Hendriks informed the Observer that the JCA will need to look at ways to assist the player during his time of isolation from the game. And with the JCA holding its regular executive meeting today, it will be a priority topic at the meeting, he said.

Richie Richadrson was on the judging panel and disagreed with he majoriy decision.

Case was not proven and this is a clear case of victimization. His friend paid his hotel bill. Said friend is no proven bookie.

Where is the wrongdoing?

A strong warning would be more apt.

Comment

So who were the wicked, victimizing members of that panel?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X