• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerron Stewart soaring on becoming sixth fastest Jamaican wo

Kerron Stewart soaring on becoming sixth fastest Jamaican woman
    BY KAYON RAYNOR Senior staff reporter
    raynork@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, May 05, 2008

WORLD championship sprint relay silver medallist Kerron Stewart is now the sixth fastest Jamaican woman of all time.

By virtue of her blistering 10.96 seconds clocking at Saturday's Jamaica International Invitational Meet (JIIM) at the National Stadium, the former St Jago stand-out leap-frogged the 1999 World Championships 200 metres silver medallist Beverly McDonald into the number six spot on Jamaica's all-time list. The world-leading mark was also the 24-year-old's first sub-11 clocking - a result, which makes her feel on top of the world.
    2007 World Championship 4x100 metres relay silver medallist Kerron Stewart (left) drives to the finish line at Saturday's Jamaica International Invitational Meet to win the 100 metres in 10.96 seconds. Marashevet Hooker (centre) of the USA was second in 11.01 ahead of 200 metres winner Bianca Knight 11.11, also of the USA. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    "I am (definitely) on top of my game," the overjoyed Stewart told the Observer moments after crossing the finish line ahead of the USA pair of Marashevet Hooker (11.01secs) and Bianca Knight (11.11 secs).

"I just pray that it stays that way (leading into the Olympics)," added Stewart, who shaved 0.07 off her previous personal best of 11.03 attained in 2006. "My coach I always talk that if I'm injury free, people are going to see a lot," explained the 2007 NCAA 200 metres (22.42secs) gold medallist, who completed her first degree in adult education at Auburn University last year.

The five Jamaicans to have run faster than Stewart in the 100 metres are Merlene Ottey (10.74secs) in 1990, Sherone Simpson (10.82) in 2006, Juliet Cuthbert 10.83 in (1992), Veronica Campbell (10.85) in 2005 and Tanya Lawrence (10.93) in 2002.

Stewart, who ran the second leg on Jamaica's silver medal-winning 4x100 relay team (42.01secs) in Osaka, Japan, last year, believes the team can break the world record of 37.40secs held by the USA (dem need tuh double check dem wuk! ) in Beijing this summer.

"Definitely, it's my dream...this is what I've been working towards and I just can't wait to see the times (in the 100m) at the trials when we all come together, because we definitely want to break that 4x1 record at the Olympics," Stewart told the Observer. In the meantime, Stewart, who currently holds the world's best time in the 200 metres of 22.35secs is also the ninth fastest Jamaican over the half-lap event.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Can't understand how these athletes don't know that, apart from Flo Jo and Marion Jones, most of the top all-time performances in T&F for women are held by "women" from east European countries. Most of them were set in the mid 80's and then the drugs testing caught up.

So, yes, the Americans do not have the 4x100 record, neither do they have the 4x400 record.

Stewart young all di same.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Can't understand how these athletes don't know that, apart from Flo Jo and Marion Jones, most of the top all-time performances in T&F for women are held by "women" from east European countries. Most of them were set in the mid 80's and then the drugs testing caught up.

So, yes, the Americans do not have the 4x100 record, neither do they have the 4x400 record.

Stewart young all di same.
      ...not only that...but it is the men 4 x 100M that is 37 change!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Whoa! I missed that! Yes, the women's time is 41 something, I believe. I would like to think that Kerron did not say that and it was the reporter who needed to check his facts.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
        X