Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    turn what corner?
    Since Courtney Walsh and Courtney Ambrose left them can't find one good pace bowler or as a fact one good bowler. You can't win games if you can't bowl out nobody.
    Even from the heydays of the '70s it was the fielding that made our bowlers.

Fantastic catches were commonplace...LLoyd, Rowe, Richards as coverfielders and slip catchers were simply superb. When first Lloyd, then Rowe could not patrol the covers any more they still remained exceptional in the slip cordion along with the magnificent Gordon Greenwich, Lance Gibbs (short period in the '70s...but he was always great at point/backward point) ...Michael Holding and Joel Gardner...cameos by Bacchus again close to the wicket...the emergence of Desmond Haynes (close to the wicket)...made batsmen who now would go on to hundred have no chance. I am not saying the bowlers were not excellent...I am saying if the fielding was as it is now their scalps would ahve been fewer and the Windies magnificent era would not have been.

The current bowlers are reaping meagre pickings because the fielding is when compared to that of the '70s and the '80s is lousy!

Every now and again I pull out my '70s & '80s VHS tapes...yes I still have a VCR hooked up in my system...and replay a match. I still marvel at the batting, bowling and unbelievable fielding. If our fielding steps up to the class shown by those '70s/80s players I am convinced that we would immediately move in the world's top 3 cricketing nations.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl,

I don't believe we have turned the corner just yet (and I hope to God I am wrong), but I see it like a recession; it's not a recession til the numbers are down for two consecutive quarters. Therefore we haven't turned the corner til we perform well in two consecutive series. The next one is against Australia so you know it aint going to be easy.

Anyway, with respect to the fielding, the last two days have been a joy to watch (both teams) as I thought the fielding was impeccable. I believe a couple catches were dropped but by and large the quality of the fielding has been impressive. I don't think our turning the corner is dependent so much on the fielding though as much as it does on the batting and bowling. We have been improving is in the bowling;our extras are considerably fewer in these ODIs than they have been in the past. What is nice to see too is consistency in the batting, notably this series with Chanderpaul and Sarwan. Remember too that every one else's standards rose to meet the Windies that you are watching on your VHS.

Anyway, these three victories in Trinidad will do us (West Indian people) a considerable deal of good. Hope the momentum will continue.

pr
      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        thanks

We only want a Patrick Patterson fi back him up now.
        Patrick Patterson, yuh mean fast and foolish Pato?
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Yes it hard to find another Walsh or Roberts but find someone who can drive fear inna the opposition heart as Patrick "Ragga" Patterson did and made it easier for Courtney Walsh.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
            Karl,

I don't believe we have turned the corner just yet (and I hope to God I am wrong), but I see it like a recession; it's not a recession til the numbers are down for two consecutive quarters. Therefore we haven't turned the corner til we perform well in two consecutive series. The next one is against Australia so you know it aint going to be easy.

Anyway, with respect to the fielding, the last two days have been a joy to watch (both teams) as I thought the fielding was impeccable. I believe a couple catches were dropped but by and large the quality of the fielding has been impressive. I don't think our turning the corner is dependent so much on the fielding though as much as it does on the batting and bowling. We have been improving is in the bowling;our extras are considerably fewer in these ODIs than they have been in the past. What is nice to see too is consistency in the batting, notably this series with Chanderpaul and Sarwan. Remember too that every one else's standards rose to meet the Windies that you are watching on your VHS.

Anyway, these three victories in Trinidad will do us (West Indian people) a considerable deal of good. Hope the momentum will continue.

pr
            Sounds good, boss!
            Fingers and toes crossed!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Alright sar, I will give you that. Gerham Gooch was known to have said that the one time he feared for his life was when facing Patterson.

Check some clips on him from Youtube.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJvVvYdAWLg
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
              X