X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Gayle: The Consumate Loser

s Chris Gayle untouchable?
    published: Thursday | March 27, 2008

OVER THE past month, Jamaica's cricket captain, Chris Gayle, has made two unacceptable statements, both of which he has been criticised for and deservedly so.

It seems to have been quite some time ago since Gayle, after losing the Stanford 20/20 final, said the Jamaicans were all winners "because we are going home with US$500,000.

Upon his arrival at the Norman Manley International Airport the following day, his comments, when questioned by journalists, were even more disgusting and disrespectful. "A lot of people can talk and say what they want - we have J$5 million in our pocket right now," he said.

"A lot of people out there did not want us in the final. They did not want us to win the money and yet still they are playing hypocrite with us and come and say a lot of things. They can say what they want ...," Gayle was quoted as saying.

The money

Read into it what you wish, but this seems to me like Gayle was trying to say the money was more important than winning for his country, especially the comment he made at a press conference, two days prior to the final.

"I looked at the last tournament and said ooh!, a million dollars, and we eventually lost," said Gayle, "because we were looking at the US$1m and not focusing on the game."

Since these comments, we have not heard the Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA), or anyone associated with cricket at the national level, say anything, which leads me to ask, is Gayle untouchable?

Offences

Yes, maybe he is untouchable, because two weeks ago, according to the West Indies Cricket Umpires Association (WICUA) President Hartley Reid, Gayle's comments against two umpires are punishable by the laws of cricket and he should face the consequences, but again, the JCA has said nothing.

Gayle said then that bad decisions against his Jamaica team were "blatant" and described the umpiring in the game as "terrible for sports" after the side lost a crucial match by 17 runs at Kensington Oval.

"If you look at some of the decisions that went against us, it was really terrible for sports and the game, what happened and it was just blatant," he said.

Though I believe that umpiring at times, locally, regionally and internationally is very, very poor, Gayle as Jamaican captain, West Indies captain and a player, has no right to make that comment.

According to Reid: "It is written clearly that players and officials may not be critical of the umpires, the match referee, nothing like that, but Gayle does as he likes".

"I am hoping that the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) does something with him," Reid said.

Gayle even got off the hook, almost a year ago, when he made some unpleasant comments on the tour of England in which he was summoned to a disciplinary meeting.

In his Digicel Diary, he spoke of his disappointment in the WICB because a few players did not arrive in time for a practise game and the fact that he was not confirmed as captain in time to be a part of the selection committee.

Statement

In a WICB statement then President, Ken Gordon, said: "Mr Gayle appeared to understand that his statement was ill-advised and has caused unnecessary embarrassment to the WICB. Of greater concern to the board is that the recent statement made by Mr Gayle was preceded by an earlier outburst for which he had been cautioned".

However, despite this, it again was thrown under the carpet when newly-elected president, Dr Julian Hunte, took office.

This cannot and should not be allowed to happen.

anthonyfos@gmail.com

Gayle does not deserve to be captain after those comments. Indeed, even his place on the squad should be in jeopardy because of them.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

his batting has dipped too.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

SL 89 for 2 at lunch. Rain delay but shouldn't be long.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++

West Indies v Sri Lanka, 2nd Test, Trinidad
        My demotion to No. 6 wasn't wrong - Gayle
        Cricinfo staff
        April 2, 2008

"Chris Gayle never shirks from no one or no responsibility, never, whatever the team requires, I'll do it" © Digicel

Chris Gayle has rejected suggestions from Sri Lanka that his drop down the order in the first Test was a negative move, but he has refused to say where he will bat in the final match. Gayle, who usually walks out first, finished the opening loss with an unbeaten half-century, although he has been under pressure because of his problems at the top with Chaminda Vaas, who has dismissed him seven times in six Tests.
        "Chris Gayle never shirks from no one or no responsibility, never, whatever the team requires, I'll do it," Gayle said on the eve of the deciding second Test in Port of Spain, which West Indies need to win to level the contest. The strong response was sparked by Mahela Jayawardene, the Sri Lanka captain, who said Gayle trod a "negative path" in the first Test.
        "It played into our hands," Jayawardene said. "Once he comes there [at No. 6] he is one of their top players and he won't have the batting depth to bat with towards the latter part of their innings. He's got to bat with his tailenders and if we keep him quiet we can go with the other guys."
        Gayle said Jayawardene's view was "wrong". "If you check other international teams they have done it before and no one said anything about it," Gayle said. "Herschelle Gibbs used to open the batting and batted in the middle for a year or two. We West Indians always come down hard on ourselves."
        Dwayne Bravo was promoted into Gayle's spot and made 83 in the second innings in Guyana and the captain said it was a team decision for him to bat lower. "I don't just come up and say, 'I am going to do that'. I ask questions, 'players what do you think?', 'what's the best solution for the team?' If they do agree with it then I will go with it."
        Gayle said no decision had been made on where he would bat at Queen's Park Oval from Thursday, but Sri Lanka expect him to return to opening. "I don't think he will make the same mistake in this Test," Jaywardene said, "but we will adjust ourselves to whatever they come up with."
        © Cricinfo
        Peter R

Comment

Chris Gayle is a jackass. I have lost every ounce of respect for him. I am hoping he plays his part in nailing the coffin of Windies cricket.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

out of curiosity .... did you ever have an ounce of respect for him and if you did, why did you lose it...?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I did. Right up until his statements following the 20/20 defeat.

Then again, not sure if it was respect I had for him. Let's just say I didn't have a problem with the bloke.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X