• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt targets sprint double for 2008

Bolt targets sprint double for 2008

BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer
    reidp@jamaicaobserver.com

FALMOUTH, Trelawny — IAAF World Championships silver medallist Usain Bolt is eagerly looking forward to the next track season when he will be running the 100m/200m sprint double.
    The 21-year-old Bolt, who just completed his most successful and rewarding season since turning professional four years ago, said the sky was the limit as to how fast he could run the 100m.
    After running his personal best 10.03 seconds on July 18 in Rethimno, the third fastest of any Jamaican man this season behind world record-holder, Asafa Powell, and Clement Campbell’s 10.02 seconds, Bolt said he knows he will be able to run much faster if he trains for the event.
    In an interview with the Observer on Monday during a function held in Water Square, Falmouth to honour several athletes from Trelawny, Bolt said, “I have no idea how fast I can go. That 10.03 seconds was just me going out there running and having fun. If I train for it I know I can go sub-10 seconds, it is just how far under 10 seconds I will go,” he said.
    Running the 100m was always something he has looked forward to, he said, “so I’m definitely looking forward to this as I have been wanting to get back down to the hundred for a while now, so really looking forward to it.”
    In preparation for the season, Bolt, who broke Donald Quarrie’s longstanding national 200m record when he won the National title in 19.75 secs in June, said coach Glen Mills had worked out a tough pre-season programme that will include a lot of 400m training.
    Bolt said he and Mills have been talking about the upcoming season and making plans as to how they will prepare.
    The former William Knibb student who also holds the World Junior record in the 200m (19.93 seconds), was happy for the recognition he got, along with four others, in two events staged by the Trelawny Chamber of Commerce and the Trelawny Parish Council on Monday.
    Bolt, who hails from Sherwood-Content, along with Olympic and World Championship gold medallist, Veronica Campbell of Troy, and Michael Frater of Ulster Spring, were presented with the keys to the city of Falmouth by Mayor Councillor Jonathon Bartley in the afternoon and later in the evening were honoured at a Gala Dinner held at Starfish Resort.
    Bolt, who was twice named the IAAF Rising Star, an honour reserved for the young athlete with the brightest prospect in the world, as a 15 yearold and again as a 17 year-old, was pleased with the tribute paid by the Trelawny institutions.
    “It is a good feeling to know that your own community and the people
    around you recognise you for your achievements, so it makes you want to work even harder and to do more so they can be even more proud of you,” he said.
    Finishing the season healthy was a key thing for Bolt, who has suffered through a series of injuries.
    “The season was great as I finished it uninjured, which is good as I had not finished a season healthy in a long time and next season will be even better as I will be working so hard to do even better,” he said.
    Former JAAA president and top track official, Neville “Teddy” McCook, also paid tribute to Bolt at the Gala Dinner.
    McCook, who was the guest speaker, told the audience he oftentimes teased Bolt but added, “whenever (he) decide one morning that he is going to do something special, I hate to think what he can achieve. He is a fantastic product and I hate to single out any individual, but there are special among equals and he is a special athlete.”

BOLT... I have no idea how fast I can go

Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

bolt needs to focuss on the 200 / 400 double and leave the 100 alone... i believe his abilities favor the 400...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

He's too lazy for the longer race.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

true... he has said from high school, the 400m is too long and it hurts him too much
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

i would have to agree wid mosiah... seems like him lazy...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Well if him lazy and still bruk the WJR and Don Q record that lasted for over 20 years...
            Che Guevara.

Comment

Lazy for the 4, not the 2!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X